Texas mens basketball releases non-conference schedule

15 hours ago, Jerky said:

Bad slate of home games, bunch of cream puffs and likely annihilation by a very well coached UConn. If we go 8-5 or worse, it may be viewed as the worst TX non-con schedule this century. But if we go 11-2 or better, it works.

We aren't losing 5 non conference games, you are being dense.

1 hour ago, MarkInAustin said:

Like Bierce, I think playing teams like Rice and UTA would beat the heck out of playing HCU at home, and would provide consistent fun for me at Moody and better team building opportunities as well.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, there is no difference between beating Houston Christian by 35 vs beating Rice by 22.

And if season ticket holders don’t like the schedule, they can feel free to transfer their tickets to UConn, A&M, OU, Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee over to my account.

Edited by Assistant Regional Manager

2 hours ago, MarkInAustin said:

I counted the same five plus NMxSt as legit opponents, and decided as you did that it is the home schedule that is deficient.  I think "John Galt" simply dislikes RT and won't let go of it.

Like Bierce, I think playing teams like Rice and UTA would beat the heck out of playing HCU at home, and would provide consistent fun for me at Moody and better team building opportunities as well.

IDK why the home schedule sucks except for UConn and NMxSt [not a true feature, but a team with a heartbeat].  I don't think it had to do with fear of losing to mid-level teams; the road and pre-season tourney games put the lie to that.  Beard started the downgrading of the home schedule from mid level fillers to bottom feeders, btw, and I had not understood that either..  

He hates him and it’s obvious. I agree with Bierce as well. We know nothing about these teams. Part of this schedule is obviously to get everyone in the game to see how they react. They could have scheduled teams we actually heard of though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

It's funny how narratives work. People should compare the schedule for this upcoming year to this one from a few years ago.

image.png.b011cc08ce13a90a3ed4b3fb0d1c7d19.png

Didn’t know there was an Alabama State. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

It's funny how narratives work. People should compare the schedule for this upcoming year to this one from a few years ago.

image.png.b011cc08ce13a90a3ed4b3fb0d1c7d19.png

We are coming off two seasons that include 4 tourney wins including an elite 8 run. 

Two years ago people complained as well. 

This isn’t what a program does that wants to be considered upper echelon

It’s fine to schedule winnable games but this schedule is like playing high school JV teams. Our practices are more competitive against the second team

1 hour ago, Neil Leininger said:

We aren't losing 5 non conference games, you are being dense.

Neil, I NEVER said we would lose 5 games. I only said IF we go 8-5 or worse which is mathmatically possible even if highly unlikely. Injuries, upsets and the very highly improbable occasionally do happen in sports.

How in the world is that being dense?

1 hour ago, JohnGalt said:

Non-Con SOS last year:

Uconn- 283rd

Houston- 226th

Iowa State- 345th

Duke- 199th

Illinois- 260th

Kentucky- 203rd

Yet, Texas is held to some higher standard in your eyes. Upper echelon programs beat the crap out of bad teams because that is what NET rewards you for. Until they change that system, this is how it will be.

Edited by Assistant Regional Manager
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnGalt said:

We are coming off two seasons that include 4 tourney wins including an elite 8 run. 

Two years ago people complained as well. 

It’s fine to schedule winnable games but this schedule is like playing high school JV teams. Our practices are more competitive against the second team

A lot of teams are doing this. UH does it, they hammer the crap out of the dregs on their schedule and are rewarding in the NET which get them high tournament seeds. Until the NCAA changes the way the NET rankings are calculated, smart coaches take advantage of the system.

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of teams are doing this. UH does it, they hammer the crap out of the dregs on their schedule and are rewarding in the NET which get them high tournament seeds. Until the NCAA changes the way the NET rankings are calculated, smart coaches take advantage of the system.

UH scheduled in 2023-24 the way I imagine we should.  A three round exempt tournament, a true road game against a highly regarded P5 team, a neutral site game against another highly regarded P5 team, 7 games against Pomeroy 145-230, and just 2 games against teams over 230.

Houston is a team that we are second to in our own state. They have a campus in the middle of a parking lot. When we get our coach that is similar in stature to Sampson, this will no longer be the case.

We are who we are right now and our schedule reflects it 

we don’t deserve the right to be compared to UH yet

3 hours ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

Non-Con SOS last year:

Uconn- 283rd

Houston- 226th

Iowa State- 345th

Duke- 199th

Illinois- 260th

Kentucky- 203rd

Yet, Texas is held to some higher standard in your eyes. Upper echelon programs beat the crap out of bad teams because that is what NET rewards you for. Until they change that system, this is how it will be.

Is this really the case?  Iowa State had the most q1 wins and the best record in q1 games of the teams contending for the fourth 1 seed, and it was not only passed over for the last 1 seed, it was given the worst 2 seed, being forced into a region against overall #1 UConn.

While you have listed teams that were seeded in the top 4 that had below average nonconference SOS, what about

Purdue--9th

Tennessee--19th

UNC--35th

Arizona--12th

Marquette--23rd

Creighton--67th

Alabama--16th

Baylor--93rd

Kansas--62nd

Edited by bierce

On 8/1/2024 at 5:36 PM, TexasMDcoach said:

Yep.  Not sure the rationale behind this.   I do not see the upside here.

Unfortunately, I am only able to make it to Austin to see one or two games a year so I can understand the season ticket holders being upset with this schedule. However, much like SEC football teams, maybe he is trying to get some wins to pad the team’s resume before the tournament. 

On 8/1/2024 at 2:53 PM, bierce said:

Bill Walton level HORRRRRRRRRIBLE!

We have games against teams that finished 362, 355, 342, 331, 325, 295, 290, and 289 in Pomeroy in 2024.

That's ridiculous.

I don’t disagree, but I think this is RT giving Sark a tutorial on how to schedule non-conference games in the SEC. 

On 8/1/2024 at 3:46 PM, Inspired73 said:

That's a schedule for a coach trying to keep his job.   Shame on CDC for allowing this charade.  

That was my thoughts when I read the non- conference schedule.  Very disappointing.