The state of CFB

21 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Something that could become more common moving forward until something is done in college football. Thoughts?

100% agree. Way too much is being placed upon these coaches all of a sudden and personally not sure how any of them do it. I think fixing the sign day and portal time frames would help some, but still they will have way more to deal with than in the NFL imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are a lot of issues here to add to the discussion.

December 15 - January 5 used to be a relatively calm time for college football coaches. They had to worry about the bowl game and little else.

Now, they are full-on all the time.

There needs to be a complete overhaul of this system. Stop doing half measures. That's what the NCAA and member schools have tried to do for so long. Stop that. Cut to the core of the issues.

Football players at major football-playing universities, more often than not, deserve more than room-and-board and a scholarship.

That leads to the following questions:

1. Which schools want to be major football-playing universities? I'm not so sure Boston College is one of those even though they always have been in the past.

2. Allow those schools to create their own system outside of the NCAA.

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Hookem777 said:

100% agree. Way too much is being placed upon these coaches all of a sudden and personally not sure how any of them do it. I think fixing the sign day and portal time frames would help some, but still they will have way more to deal with than in the NFL imo.

Definitely agree. Just changing the signing day and portal window would help alleviate a lot. The one time transfer rule would help as well IMO. More guidance and structure around NIL also.  Yeah, I’m not sure how they do all that they do day in and day out, would be exhausting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Definitely agree. Just changing the signing day and portal window would help alleviate a lot. The one time transfer rule would help as well IMO. More guidance and structure around NIL also.  Yeah, I’m not sure how they do all that they do day in and day out, would be exhausting. 

The problem with the signing day window is so many kids want to enroll early now so what's the solution? You could do it before the season like basketball but what happens if you absolutely tank the season? Basketball is easy because you have so few commits so you could just let them out of the NLI I guess. But football you have so many and with the way the coaching carousel is what do you do if you fire them? Even if you went back to just one signing day in February kids are gonna wanna enroll early so you are still going to have to recruit like ESD even if they don't sign but just enroll imo. I can't think of a decent solution for the signing day dilemma. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

There are a lot of issues here to add to the discussion.

December 15 - January 5 used to be a relatively calm time for college football coaches. They had to worry about the bowl game and little else.

Now, they are full-on all the time.

There needs to be a complete overhaul of this system. Stop doing half measures. That's what the NCAA and member schools have tried to do for so long. Stop that. Cut to the core of the issues.

Football players at major football-playing universities, more often than not, deserve more than room-and-board and a scholarship.

That leads to the following questions:

1. Which schools want to be major football-playing universities? I'm not so sure Boston College is one of those even though they always have been in the past.

2. Allow those schools to create their own system outside of the NCAA.

Your response to these things is exactly why I’ll follow you anywhere you go!  Also I believe the NCAA is dead they just don’t know it yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

They need to change the 1st portal window to after the bowl games are over.

With the 12 team playoffs the last game is Jan 21st.
Then you would a issue of enrolling at the new school for spring semester.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Hookem777 said:

The problem with the signing day window is so many kids want to enroll early now so what's the solution? You could do it before the season like basketball but what happens if you absolutely tank the season? Basketball is easy because you have so few commits so you could just let them out of the NLI I guess. But football you have so many and with the way the coaching carousel is what do you do if you fire them? Even if you went back to just one signing day in February kids are gonna wanna enroll early so you are still going to have to recruit like ESD even if they don't sign but just enroll imo. I can't think of a decent solution for the signing day dilemma. 

Great points. It’s exhausting trying to think of a solution just for signing day, let alone portal, NIL and the coaching carousel. They’ve got their hands full when it comes to trying to find remedies. There first needs to be a governing body that isn’t named the NCAA, because we all know they don’t have a solution. 

Edited by TexasLonghorns
  • Hook 'Em 2

How many billions of dollars does the NCAA have in its coffers?  They make $1B from the basketball tourney every year?

I don't see them relinquishing control over college athletics anytime soon.  If anything, university administrators are asking for more oversight of NIL.  That was the gist of the Tennessee president's response to NCAA's allegations.

Would be interesting to get Bobby's buddy Kevin Eltife back on OTF for his perspective 🙂

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Great points. It’s exhausting trying to think of a solution just for signing day, let alone portal, NIL and the coaching carousel. They’ve got their hands full when it comes to trying to find remedies. There first needs to be a governing body that isn’t named the NCAA, because we all know they don’t have a solution. 

Yeah until the NCAA goes away, there won't be any good solutions. They've opened Pandora's box with all of these at once, except there's no hope in fixing it.

Another problem is if it's not the NCAA, what is it gonna be? If it's made up of the universities and programs, are they gonna make it have any teeth as well? I'd think they want to cut corners as well and not want to hold other programs feet to the fire so when they cheat, they won't get in trouble as well. Gonna have to have some structure like pro sports which means probably some government involvement at some time imo.

• Hook 'Em 3

There needs to be a commissioner of college football who runs the big college football (SEC & BIG10). Then let the lower conferences (Big12, ACC, Pac2, Whatever else) have their own governance as well. The problem is Chip Kelly wasn't far off by saying college football needs to be split out by itself separately from the other sports. Then you can allow everyone to make schedules and systems that work better for their member institutions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, 40AcresDust said:

There needs to be a commissioner of college football who runs the big college football (SEC & BIG10). Then let the lower conferences (Big12, ACC, Pac2, Whatever else) have their own governance as well. The problem is Chip Kelly wasn't far off by saying college football needs to be split out by itself separately from the other sports. Then you can allow everyone to make schedules and systems that work better for their member institutions. 

Definitely agree they need to split off. Makes no sense for swimming and diving to go all the way across country for events. Alot of what is driven in the NCAA is by football and doesn't work for other sports. The NCAA may actually work for other sports minus football and maybe basketball imo. Win win imo because the NCAA can still do their thing like they want and keep amateurism in the sports where NIL and other items rarely will exist.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hookem777 said:

Definitely agree they need to split off. Makes no sense for swimming and diving to go all the way across country for events. Alot of what is driven in the NCAA is by football and doesn't work for other sports. The NCAA may actually work for other sports minus football and maybe basketball imo. Win win imo because the NCAA can still do their thing like they want and keep amateurism in the sports where NIL and other items rarely will exist.

Yes I also agree about basketball. Also, this allows the schools to make more from basketball and football potentially. Providing more funds for other sports and athletic programs int he schools. 

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, 40AcresDust said:

I agree with Chip Kelly.

One of the reasons we are where we are with the NCAA is that the NCAA cared more about the basketball tourney than anything else. 

• Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, 40AcresDust said:

Yes I also agree about basketball. Also, this allows the schools to make more from basketball and football potentially. Providing more funds for other sports and athletic programs int he schools. 

Definitely could allow those to make more which would be a boost to other sports and actually could allow them to be more prominent to draw more eyes and dollars.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

I agree with Chip Kelly.

One of the reasons we are where we are with the NCAA is that the NCAA cared more about the basketball tourney than anything else. 

Looks like Chip is trying to get out as well

https://twitter.com/On3sports/status/1753222039467340079

Can't figure out how to embed it right

Edited by Hookem777
  • Hook 'Em 2