Jaydon Blue and inside zone

I think the message boards, comment sections, and even the guys are mistaken about Jaydon Blue’s ceiling as an inside zone runner. It’s not like he was getting arm tackled left and right last year. He has very thick legs, and you didn’t see Jonathan Brooks, the best inside zone runner in college football last year, blowing up linebackers in the hole. Inside zone is about acceleration through the hole and running through arm tackles, and I think he’s elite at one and pretty damn good at the other.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

Ask sark his opinion and if he agrees with you 

Well Sark’s scheme up to this point had CJ Baxter in mind as RB 1 and I do think he’s better at inside zone and if you can have that you can afford to have Jaydon Blue as a crazily effective utility back. I’m just saying people are talking like Jaydon Blue can’t do it and I’m here to tell you he’s gonna be above average at it.

Just now, Nederlandboy42 said:

Well Sark’s scheme up to this point had CJ Baxter in mind as RB 1 and I do think he’s better at inside zone and if you can have that you can afford to have Jaydon Blue as a crazily effective utility back. I’m just saying people are talking like Jaydon Blue can’t do it and I’m here to tell you he’s gonna be above average at it.

Just 1 step down from CJ Baxter

• Hook 'Em 1

Jaydon Blue as a junior in HS.....227 carries for 2,155 yds. 9.5 ypc. That was a good season.

Year 3 in the TX program. Blue is bigger, stronger and still very fast.

Agree, Blue is capable of inside zone....and more. Must protect the QB and the ball. Then Sark will feed Blue the ball. We still need to be wise and limit his touches in some games if others can step up. 

Blue is capable of having 1,800+ all purpose yards. Such a weapon in space as a running back and out of the backfield in the passing game. 

HOOK EM BLUE!

Some of you guys seem completely unfamiliar with how inside zone works. Oregon has killed teams with it for years and did plenty of it with small fast backs. The play depends more on the OL than the back. The back needs to press the LOS and look for daylight, including the cutback. 

I coached RBs the past 2 years and ran inside zone successfully with different types of guys. It isn't a play that only Baxter can run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jkates said:

Some of you guys seem completely unfamiliar with how inside zone works. Oregon has killed teams with it for years and did plenty of it with small fast backs. The play depends more on the OL than the back. The back needs to press the LOS and look for daylight, including the cutback. 

I coached RBs the past 2 years and ran inside zone successfully with different types of guys. It isn't a play that only Baxter can run. 

I don't see any reason why Blue can't be really effective running inside zone. Remember, Baxter had trouble reading the hole in inside zone last season. Further, if Sark's pass protections are so complicated that only one out of five RBs can do it, then he probably needs to change that. 

2 hours ago, jkates said:

It’s a play that Baxter probably runs better than Blue or Wisner. Also, running it from 12 personnel with everyone and their mother on defense close to the LOS is different than running it spread out with smaller bodies defending lighter boxes. 

Blanket statements that other posters believe that X or Y can’t run a play are misleading. We probably don’t want to try to make a living running Tre Wisner at the guard’s backside in 12 personnel in the SEC. Or in Ann Arbor. And that affects our RPO game. This isn’t crazy talk. 

• Moderators

Good topic for sure.

It’s not that Blue can’t do it, but it’s not going to be maximizing his ability/touches, and the idea was for Texas to have Baxter and Blue play off of each other to their strengths and stress the defense in multiple ways from the RB position.

Texas plan was not to have Blue eating up his touches between the tackles, which is not his strength as a RB if you want to maximize him. 

We were going to see more two back personnel this season with Baxter as the RB and Blue a speedy playmaker that Sark could move all around and work favorable matchups in the passing game with Blue. Texas will have to make adjustments with some of the plan with the Baxter injury. 

Sark is just going to have to make changes to the plans for maximizing this team/offense now … plenty of talent to work with, but the top three RB’s headed into the season (Baxter, Blue and Wisner) weren’t just plug and play - in terms of the plan this season 

10 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s a play that Baxter probably runs better than Blue or Wisner. Also, running it from 12 personnel with everyone and their mother on defense close to the LOS is different than running it spread out with smaller bodies defending lighter boxes. 

Blanket statements that other posters believe that X or Y can’t run a play are misleading. We probably don’t want to try to make a living running Tre Wisner at the guard’s backside in 12 personnel in the SEC. Or in Ann Arbor. And that affects our RPO game. This isn’t crazy talk. 

Tre Wisner looked really effective in his minimal time and a ton of that came off backside zone though

5 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Good topic for sure.

It’s not that Blue can’t do it, but it’s not going to be maximizing his ability/touches, and the idea was for Texas to have Baxter and Blue play off of each other to their strengths and stress the defense in multiple ways from the RB position.

Texas plan was not to have Blue eating up his touches between the tackles, which is not his strength as a RB if you want to maximize him. 

We were going to see more two back personnel this season with Baxter as the RB and Blue a speedy playmaker that Sark could move all around and work favorable matchups in the passing game with Blue. Texas will have to make adjustments with some of the plan with the Baxter injury. 

Sark is just going to have to make changes to the plans for maximizing this team/offense now … plenty of talent to work with, but the top three RB’s headed into the season (Baxter, Blue and Wisner) weren’t just plug and play - in terms of the plan this season 

I completely agree I’m just saying I’m much more worried about lead blocking and pass protection than I am about inside zone work

18 hours ago, Nederlandboy42 said:

I think the message boards, comment sections, and even the guys are mistaken about Jaydon Blue’s ceiling as an inside zone runner. It’s not like he was getting arm tackled left and right last year. He has very thick legs, and you didn’t see Jonathan Brooks, the best inside zone runner in college football last year, blowing up linebackers in the hole. Inside zone is about acceleration through the hole and running through arm tackles, and I think he’s elite at one and pretty damn good at the other.

The problem with Blue is that, if he takes most of Baxter’s inside zones carries, he will almost certainly get injured over the course of a long season.  Someone like Gibson must handle most of Baxter’s inside zone carries.  Let Blue and Wiesner do what they do best on 12-15 touches per game.  More than that and you are looking for trouble.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Good topic for sure.

Sark should not make majors adjustments to his 2024 game plan.  Gibson can handle a large portion of Baxter’s inside zone and short yardage carries.  Sark just called Gibson a “workhorse.”  Play Blue the way you intended to play Blue and get the most out of him.  Don’t let Baxter’s injury beat us twice by moving Blue into a position that does not fit his skill set.  No need to panic.

• Hook 'Em 3