Michigan Rewatch notes (add yours!)

Just small things seen on the rewatch:

That was not a hold from Williams on the first drive

Is no one going to talk about the missed Auburn FG? lol that was BADLY missed. Idk if it was the maize out or what but whew haha 

One of Quinn's best performances for me personally no bad decisions with the ball. 

Baxter is missed for our interior run game. 

Are we hiding Niblack? or is Helm that much of a DOGGG

still waiting to see the pass rush that was touted so highly 

If we can block like this in every game..Its scary hours all around. 

#16 tackle saved a TD 

#33 had a great game

RB's had a great game

Plenty more but list off some of your finds and HOOK EM 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hookemrj13 said:

I have this notion wandering around upstairs that we’re seeing the remolding of our rushing attack into a more gap centric offense where IZ is a change up and not a feature due to Baxter’s loss. A lot of power, PNP, C sweep, counter and so on and so forth have featured prominently in the first two games. 

I look for our rushing attack to continue to improve as we rep these plays more and more and the reads and if/then rules become more and more natural for our OL. 

Possibly speaking completely out of my bass on that, but we love to run left with pulling OL this year. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, hookemrj13 said:

Just small things seen on the rewatch:

That was not a hold from Williams on the first drive

Is no one going to talk about the missed Auburn FG? lol that was BADLY missed. Idk if it was the maize out or what but whew haha 

One of Quinn's best performances for me personally no bad decisions with the ball. 

Are we hiding Niblack? or is Helm that much of a DOGGG

If we can block like this in every game..Its scary hours all around. 

#16 tackle saved a TD 

#33 had a great game

RB's had a great game

Plenty more but list off some of your finds and HOOK EM 

I re-watched the condensed broadcast, and this guy's film room video:

Yes Niblack was absent.  Probably relates to Juan Davis being all over the place in the blocking game--had a 1-2 targets that did not hit.  On one score he neutralized an edge.   Deondre Moore was also on several snaps and had the 1 TD called back.  Cook and Wingo were on several snaps but mostly running DB's off the targeted areas.  Per this guy's video--although many described Michigan as giving us multiple fronts, there was still a majority of snaps in cover 3, and he shows how Sark just carved up what was given over and over.  Also a great explanation of how Sark tried and end around that did not hit, and then went back to it again with Wingo and presented it different with two different pre-snap alignments that got Michigan into too many shifts. 

Related--I know the OTF crew discussed why they don't have game film featured on the channel but can't recall the answer.  Clearly other channels do film study and work out the copyright issues. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Trey Moore and Colin Simmons were causing havoc 

Unless used in mainly Y role amari niblack just isn’t physical enough 

I hope we start seeing some deep balls connecting more often 

Our defensive tackles might not have as big of a drop off i thought after losing sweat and murphy 

Early game--a lot of 2-3 DT's and 1 edge.  Late game had a lot of Moore and Simmons when it was clear Michigan had to throw more--although their 4th quarter offense game plan was puzzling if trying to actually mount a come back.  They ran off as much clock in the 4th as we did with runs and short passes in the middle.  The clock basically ran most of the 4th on both sides of the ball.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Hill isn't getting much credit but he played incredible, espscially when Orji came in and we had our Sam and Will on the line with 3 DL and I think Lefau at Mike.  Orji couldn't figure out if he should pitch or keep and Hill was a huge part on stopping their zone/read attempts.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Derek Handler said:

Hill isn't getting much credit but he played incredible, espscially when Orji came in and we had our Sam and Will on the line with 3 DL and I think Lefau at Mike.  Orji couldn't figure out if he should pitch or keep and Hill was a huge part on stopping their zone/read attempts.  

Also, Niblack not getting on field more is strange with all the reports from practice.  Hoping he's not a Billinsgley 2.0.  I wonder if he will come back another year or transfer out if his targets don't increase drastically.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Regarding Bert Auburn's missed FG... watching the play live on the telecast I thought the Horns' alignment was off-center. The formation looked oddly different to me and I thought at that moment maybe it was on purpose because of the ball placement near the right hash mark or possibly to adjust for the wind or some other reason.

I heard an analyst on the radio reviewing the game and he said he thought from the press box that Auburn just made a bad pass at the ball like a golfer just making a faulty swing. I still think Auburn might have been put off by the holder not being straight behind the center and he compensated by pushing the kick off to the right.

He's a very good and dependable kicker and I will bet it turns out to be a "one-off."

Hook 'Em!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hookemrj13 said:

That missed FG probably would have been blocked if was down the middle. UM had a guy screaming off the edge.

The pass rush is there, just still waiting on the sacks.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Derek Handler said:

Also, Niblack not getting on field more is strange with all the reports from practice.  Hoping he's not a Billinsgley 2.0.  I wonder if he will come back another year or transfer out if his targets don't increase drastically.  

It’s hard to get a TE of Gunnar Helms’ ability off the field. He catches everything, Quinn trusts him and he does that blocking thing too which seems to be something Niblack is far less adept at. 

I suspect Niblack gets a lot of run with the 2-3’s in the next 3 games and may have his moment to crack open the door with the coaches or solidify his role as very interesting slot receiving mismatch slated for occasional use in 24.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 3

Niblack was in the game second half and looked to be working on blocking. He did have the hold that took Cook’s catch off the board in the second half. He’s also been playing on special teams, something billingsley didn’t do. I agree with others he’ll get his chance later to shine in the coming weeks. Loved the formation with Helm and Davis in the backfield with Wisner too. Auburn’s kick looked like it would’ve been blocked if he’d pulled it like he needed to make it. Honestly, that was unfortunate, but he is still 2/3 on the year and will continue to be a plus for us like last season. He’s allowed to miss. What was worse was the “holding” call on Cam that took the TD off the board for Moore. Pass rush is there Davis was running around/uncomfortable all day. It will get home we’re just playing teams in the first 2 games that are quick pass/run first. The interceptions and incompletions were created in part by pass rush speeding Davis up AND great 2ndary play. Michigan had some decent plays but had to work HARD for everything.

loved the WR blocking and hustle from the O-line all game especially on that Wingo run. 

Tackling has been much improved Makuba, Williams, and Taafee are laying the WOOD at safety! 

Gbenda played well overall but still has lapses of gap discipline, see Edwards longest run of the day. Gbenda gets sucked in and crashed the same gap with Hill. If he stays disciplined the ball spills right to him for an easy tackle. It’s fun to see his growth and he hits hard!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2024 at 12:05 AM, Jc Dobbs said:

Regarding Bert Auburn's missed FG... watching the play live on the telecast I thought the Horns' alignment was off-center. The formation looked oddly different to me and I thought at that moment maybe it was on purpose because of the ball placement near the right hash mark or possibly to adjust for the wind or some other reason.

I heard an analyst on the radio reviewing the game and he said he thought from the press box that Auburn just made a bad pass at the ball like a golfer just making a faulty swing. I still think Auburn might have been put off by the holder not being straight behind the center and he compensated by pushing the kick off to the right.

He's a very good and dependable kicker and I will bet it turns out to be a "one-off."

Hook 'Em!

Regarding alignment, teams will shift an extra lineman to the wide side when kicking from the hash. This pushes the edge rusher on the side wider since the ball is being kicked at an angle toward the goal post. It does look odd at times. 

On 9/11/2024 at 8:06 PM, Bobby Burton said:

Texas has tackled really well through two games. I think we’ll see better skill personnel from other teams in the future, but through two games, it has been really much better than the last three, especially in the secondary. 

Totally agree. Aside from seeing how our secondary was going to play, tackling was a huge question mark for me.