Four-star LB Gavin Nix talks Texas (Monday 7:06 pm CST)

• Moderators

Four-star LB Gavin Nix talks Texas

One of the surprise visitors at Texas Junior Day January 20 was inside linebacker Gavin Nix (Orlando, Fla./IMG Academy).

Nix, 6-0 and 220 pounds, was offered by the Longhorns March 2nd of 2023. Since that time, it's been area recruiter Tashard Choice keeping the line of communication open. 

That meant a visit to Texas January 20 was a first real interaction with the entire staff. 

"It was great (visit)," Nix told OnTexasFootball Monday. "It was my first time being at Texas. I loved the new linebacker coach. Super smart dude that taught me a lot in a little time. Coach Choice, I’m close to because he recruited Jerrick (Gibson) at IMG for two years." 

Nix has stayed in contact with Texas since the visit, but that does not include Johnny Nansen

"I have not talked to the linebacker coach since the visit. I have talked to Coach Choice a few times."

Nix plans to get back to Texas in the spring to continue learning more about the program.

"Not yet (talked to Texas about an official visit). Mainly it’s just getting back in the spring and learning more how Texas operates. After that, I would think about an official visit." 

Sunshine State trio leads the way

The big three in state are the schools Nix's recruitment is centered around the most. After the Texas visit, Nix returned once again to Florida and Miami the last weekend in January, and FSU last weekend. 

“Really, I'm just continuing to keep building those relationships with the staffs. Florida has some new coaches on defense, so I got to meet with them. Florida State and Miami hasn't had that much change. So it was more of just continuing to build the relationships."

Nix is getting close to diving into the next part of the process with the in state programs. 

"The next main thing is starting to answer those real questions."

Six schools seriously in the mix

Along with the four schools mentioned, Nix is considering two national powers. 

"I would say besides those four, Notre Dame and Oregon are two others I'm seriously considering. I'm planning to visit both in the spring. I visited Notre Dame last summer, and the trip to Oregon will be my first." 

Nix has 25 offers to date. The offer list includes Texas A&M (January 19, 2024), Texas, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama (prior staff), Florida and South Carolina out of the SEC. The Miami Hurricanes were the first to offer in June of 2021. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Pocono longhorn said:

Gerry, where do you rank him amongst all the LB’s we are recruiting?

Think Texas has Riley Pettijohn and Elijah Barnes ahead of him.

And needs longer lever OLB's more right now. 

Gavin is a very solid ILB. IMG staff thinks very highly of him as a leader, tough, instinctive ILB. He's leaning to in state schools, as well. 

47 minutes ago, marathon said:

If Nix really likes Nansen (his position coach) then what is the reasoning behind another position coach doing the recruiting so far.

Seems odd to me.

That is likely Choice's recruiting area. That doesn't mean Nansen won't be part of his recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, marathon said:

If Nix really likes Nansen (his position coach) then what is the reasoning behind another position coach doing the recruiting so far.

Seems odd to me.

As of right now, a sign of where Texas may be focusing on LB recruiting. Let's see how it plays out. Texas may go for longer level players at the position in the 2025 cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

As of right now, a sign of where Texas may be focusing on LB recruiting. Let's see how it plays out. Texas may go for longer level players at the position in the 2025 cycle.

Thank you. That makes sense.

I liked this quote from Nix.  “I loved the new linebacker coach. Super smart dude that taught me a lot in a little time.”

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, marathon said:

Thank you. That makes sense.

I liked this quote from Nix.  “I loved the new linebacker coach. Super smart dude that taught me a lot in a little time.”

For sure. Caught my attention as well … such a good year in state at LB … not the norm in Texas

McKinney’s Riley Pettijohn 

Dallas Skyline’s Elijah Barnes are elite 

Then you have Nansen offers last week: 

Jonathan Cunningham (North Crowley) and Javar Thomas (Aldine Nimitz) … long levers, rangy upside frames 

• Hook 'Em 2