Six key visits for Texas this spring (Sunday 9:22 a.m. CST)

• Moderators

Six key visits for Texas this spring

The Texas staff is expected to host a number of unofficial visitors in March and at the Texas spring game April 20. 

The staff spent December and January showing face time to top targets in the 2025 cycle, while also continuing the evaluation process. An evaluation process that will continue throughout the spring evaluation period ahead of June official visits with decisions to be made.

The timing of Kenny Baker being hired as the defensive line coach pushed back a few defensive line visits. That coupled with Texas offering more defensive lineman places a premium on spring visits for the Longhorns at a key position of need in 2025.

OnTexasFootball looks at six visits that will be key this spring. 

K.J. Lacey, QB, Saraland (Ala.) High #AllGasNoBrakes
Steve Sarkisian
and A.J. Milwee made a stop at Saraland High in January. Texas didn’t have the OnTexasFootball 4-star come in January 20 for Junior Day with Alabama 5-star signee, teammate and good friend Ryan Williams scheduled to make an official visit January 27 that never happened. Lacey was on campus briefly the weekend prior while in the area for 7v7, but a spring visit ahead of a June official visit will be key. Auburn, and now Ole Miss are making pushes for Lacey. He cancelled a visit to Ole Miss the first weekend of February at the request of the Texas staff. Continuing to navigate the return of Quinn Ewers pushing back the timeline of Arch Manning hitting the field is key for Texas keeping Lacey in the fold. 

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie #AllGasNoBrakes
Steve Sarkisian, Tashard Choice and Jeff Banks made a stop at Eau Gallie in January prior to Kenny Baker being able to hit the road. Despite the stop at the school by Texas, this one will come down to Baker relationship building with Brown. Getting Brown on campus in march to spend time with Baker will be critical in this recruitment. Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, USC, etc… are all coming full steam at the explosive 6-1.5, 285-pounder. Texas has some work to do to keep Brown in the fold, despite Texas being the school that has always intrigued him most. 

Josiah Sharma, DL, Folsom (Calif.) High
Texas offered the 6-3.5, 300 pounder February 1 when Co-DC Johnny Nansen made a stop at Folsom High. The one-time Washington verbal was on campus at Alabama recently, and the Crimson Tide are all in. As is Oregon. Sharma told OTF’s C.J. Vogel that he plans to make a spring visit to Texas, where he does have family ties (Arlington and Austin). Same song, different verse. Sharma getting to know Baker, and stepping foot on campus will be critical if the Horns are to have a legit chance. 

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High
Texas’ Steve Sarkisian, Kyle Flood and Tashard Choice all stopped by Lewisville high in late January to talk with the 6-4, 290 pound high-end left tackle prospect. Fasusi’s father being at the school for the visit was seen as a positive for the Longhorns, as he didn’t make all the school visits. With Fasusi not attending January 20 Junior Day, getting the DFW area 5-star back on campus this spring ahead of a last weekend in June official visit is key. Texas continues to like where they sit ahead of spring and summer visits. 

Dilan Battle, DL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview 
Steve Sarkisian
and Kenny Baker made a stop at Timberview High in late January. Battle has not been on campus in some time, and getting him back to Austin is going to be key with much of the SEC plus Michigan being all in on the 6-2, 305 pound disruptor. Baker is tasked with relationship building, and making some big decisions headed into June official visits. 

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas) High 
Steve Sarkisian
and Blake Gideon were by Lufkin High in January. And Kenny Baker also made a visit two days after being officially announced by Texas. The 6-4.25, 325 pound Williams made a visit to LSU January 20, and will be back in early March. Williams told OnTexasFootball Tuesday that a March or spring game visit to Texas will happen. Texas A&M and TCU are also working for spring visits. The East Texas powerful defensive tackle told OTF that Texas, LSU, Texas A&M and TCU would for sure receive official visits. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 14
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Dilan Battle's father living in the Detroit area. Family is from Detroit. Mom has lived in Mansfield for 5-6 years now, and plans to stay. 

Battle made a visit to Florida the last weekend of January, and was offered. Mom made the trip with him. 

He will be at LSU March 9th weekend. Same as Zion Williams. 

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

Interesting. Lots of DLs in there. 

What’s the deal with visits for portal guys after they enter in mid-April? I assume they’re allowed to take OV’s once they enter, correct?  

Anyway, I’m hoping for a couple of dudes to fly out of Detroit to Austin later this spring.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SpaceCityWrangler said:

What’s the deal with visits for portal guys after they enter in mid-April? I assume they’re allowed to take OV’s once they enter, correct?  

Anyway, I’m hoping for a couple of dudes to fly out of Detroit to Austin later this spring.  

Yes, they are allowed officials. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Fernando G said:

Any word on DJ Sanders?

Just me, but think he’s a stash and development 3rd or 4th DL in a class for Texas. Has upside … but he’s farther away from being SEC trenches ready than a few others the Horns are recruiting 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Dilan Battle's father living in the Detroit area. Family is from Detroit. Mom has lived in Mansfield for 5-6 years now, and plans to stay. 

Battle made a visit to Florida the last weekend of January, and was offered. Mom made the trip with him. 

He will be at LSU March 9th weekend. Same as Zion Williams. 

With the momentum lsu has in there class I don’t like Zion going back that will be twice in the past two months.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Lahorns2001 said:

Big investment on defensive side of ball. 

I like it because even though Sark is an offensive minded head coach, he understands the importance of having a well rounded roster on defense and special teams, too.  He doesn't just focus on offense and nothing else.  As long as Sark is the HC, Texas should be able to reload on offense through traditional HS recruiting and the transfer portal.  I'm very impressed with the attention he's giving to the defensive side of the ball.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ryantnelson02 said:

2025 Class needs to go heavy in the interior d-line. Only 3 interior d-line takes over the last 2 classes is very dangerous heading into the SEC. We need at least 3 guys at a minimum to feel good about the future! 

Definitely a 3-4 man class

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, AceHorn23 said:

Any information on Woodfork? Sorry if I missed it somewhere. 

He continues to be a guy Texas is evaluating.

Nothing has changed. 

Lance Jackson and Kamauryn Morgan are two guys the staff really likes early. 

The staff’s evaluation of the majority of guys will go into May prior to June OV’s. 

• Hook 'Em 6

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, bpfire4 said:

When should we expect to see commit start to roll in?

Texas isn’t pushing on much at all right now. 

Spring practice visits and spring game could see a little movement … but the spring evaluation period begins at end of April … that’s when Texas will truly start to set the board outside of the no brainers 

That will set the June OV’s 

• Hook 'Em 6

14 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas isn’t pushing on much at all right now. 

Spring practice visits and spring game could see a little movement … but the spring evaluation period begins at end of April … that’s when Texas will truly start to set the board outside of the no brainers 

That will set the June OV’s 

About what I figured. I’d like the see the Dallas and McKinney LBs lock in so Nansen can focus on helping Baker build his first classs

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

He continues to be a guy Texas is evaluating.

Nothing has changed. 

Lance Jackson and Kamauryn Morgan are two guys the staff really likes early. 

The staff’s evaluation of the majority of guys will go into May prior to June OV’s. 

Thank Gerry. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bpfire4 said:

About what I figured. I’d like the see the Dallas and McKinney LBs lock in so Nansen can focus on helping Baker build his first classs

Those two are tremendous for me as well. Both prime SEC LB prospects. Frame, agility, range and pursuit speed.

• Hook 'Em 6