Monday Morning Recruiting Nuggets (10:12 a.m. CST)

• Moderators

OnTexasFootball gets your week started with some Monday morning recruiting nuggets. 

IMG Academy 2025 DB to visit in April

Texas offered 2025 defensive back Major Preston of Hopewell (Va.) IMG Academy January 30. 

Since that time, the 6-1, 175 pound versatile defensive back has been in contact with safeties coach Blake Gideon multiple times. 

Preston told OnTexasFootball Monday morning that he has a visit scheduled to Texas April 13-14 to meet the staff and take in a spring practice. 

Preston currently has 22 offers with 11 coming since December of 2023. The offer list includes SEC programs Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Florida and Ole Miss. 

Brandon Brown and a Texas visit

Texas verbal and OnTexasFootball 4-star defensive tackle Brandon Brown (Melbourne, Fla./Eau Gallie) told OnTexasFootball Sunday that he will be in Houston March 22-24 for a 7v7 tournament. It’s likely that he will head to Austin on the 22nd with his California Power 7v7 team and make a first visit to The Forty Acres. 

Brown said he will also be in Dallas April 5th weekend for a 7v7 tournament. 

Brown told OTF he is yet to speak with new defensive line coach Kenny Baker (as of Sunday afternoon), but has texted with head coach Steve Sarkisian and Tashard Choice. 

“I’m just taking the process slow right now,” Brown told OnTexasFootball Sunday. “They told me I’m a great player (when Texas visited the school), and can’t wait to for me to come visit. I have text with Coach Sark. He just said he can’t wait to get me on campus to visit. Same with Coach Choice last week.”

The visit to Texas and time spent with Coach Baker will be impactful on his recruitment moving forward.

“I’m just going to try to get everything sorted out when I get out there. Spend time with the staff, Coach Baker.” 

Brown says LSU, Florida, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Ohio State are all in. He made a visit to Texas A&M last summer, LSU last summer and Tennessee for a game this season (vs. Georgia). His relationship with LSU’s Bo Davis is the best of any position coach currently. 

Myron Charles and Texas

OnTexasFootball caught up with Sunshine State 4-star defensive lineman Myron Charles (Port Charlotte, Fla./High) Sunday afternoon. The 6-foot-4, 290 pound disruptor was offered by Texas February 1 when Jeff Banks stopped by the school. Since that time he has exchanged messages with members of the Texas staff. Charles reports that a spring visit is a possibility. Miami, Florida and Florida State are all recruiting Charles full steam. He was on campus in Miami in late January. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 6

Texas getting serious in the recruitment of Myron Charles leads to believe Sark, CDC and co got some serious NIL commitments after the playoff run to push the program over the hump. 

Charles is crazy good. He is the type of player UGA has built their dynasty on 

I would be ecstatic if Texas really get in on this recruitment

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, goathumper said:

Texas getting serious in the recruitment of Myron Charles leads to believe Sark, CDC and co got some serious NIL commitments after the playoff run to push the program over the hump. 

Charles is crazy good. He is the type of player UGA has built their dynasty on 

I would be ecstatic if Texas really get in on this recruitment

No question about his talent level, and that is what Georgia/Bama have been playing with for years...

Junior HUDL:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2LXmfe

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Ronald Dayto said:

Gerry. don't you think if Texas was all in on Brown that Baker would have talked to him? I don't think he will be part of the class. He already wanted yo flip to USC.

It’s weird to me. And if at any point Texas doesn’t make Brown a priority- they are flat out wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Ronald Dayto said:

Gerry. don't you think if Texas was all in on Brown that Baker would have talked to him? I don't think he will be part of the class. He already wanted yo flip to USC.

Sark choice And banks went to go see him. I believe Texas wants him or they all wouldn’t have went.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Neil Leininger said:

Wait, Brown plays HS football in Florida, but his 7x7 team is based in California, did I read that correctly? Damn, 7x7 going to ruin youth football like AAU has ruined youth basketball.

Lol Yes you did read that correctly! 

1 hour ago, Neil Leininger said:

Wait, Brown plays HS football in Florida, but his 7x7 team is based in California, did I read that correctly? Damn, 7x7 going to ruin youth football like AAU has ruined youth basketball.

Idk if it's ruining it, but 7 x 7 definitely has changed out of state recruiting. Kids are traveling at an earlier age and are more willing to leave home. Could be good or bad depending on how you look at it, but plays into Sark's hands of recruiting Nationally.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Ace Recruiter said:

Idk if it's ruining it, but 7 x 7 definitely has changed out of state recruiting. Kids are traveling at an earlier age and are more willing to leave home. Could be good or bad depending on how you look at it, but plays into Sark's hands of recruiting Nationally.

Agree 100% on helping recruit nationally. 

One of the reasons Miami Hurricanes kept so many at home in their late 80's and early 90's run was because kids never went out in 7v7 teams and saw places around the country. Not to take away from Miami and what a great place it can be to live/etc... as a college athlete, but kids had nothing to compare it to from a football and college life stand point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

The Baker news on Brown is odd.

Also @Gerry Hamiltonany thoughts on Marco Jones from Cali?

Marco Jones is one of those EDGE/LB types Texas has been in contact with for over a year. Choate was recruiting him for Texas, and Nansen has taken over. Doesn't have a visit date locked in yet, so like others could get serious if he get on campus in the spring. Baseball player too. Dad played at Colorado back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 2