Monday afternoon recruiting nuggets (2:22 p.m. CST)

• Moderators

Monday afternoon recruiting nuggets 

Let’s start the Monday afternoon nuggets with an update on Texas 4-star defensive line commit Brandon Brown (Melbourne, Fla./Eau Gallie). 

Texas defensive line coach Kenny Baker and the 6-1.5, 285-pound explosive defender spoke on the phone for the first time late last week. 

According to Brown, the conversation lasted “about ten minutes”.

“He was letting me know that he was trying to get his family situated in Austin,” Brown told OnTexasFootball Monday. “He said he wanted to get me out in the spring to visit. He was talking about my twitch and the way I get off the ball - he liked that." 

The news of Baker and Brown beginning the relationship building process is key with Brown and the California Power 7v7 team headed to Austin March 22-24 for a tournament in the Austin area. Brown will also be in Texas April 5th weekend for a 7v7 tournament. 

The Texas commitment lists Texas A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, USC and Ohio State as programs that are coming after him with an all in approach. 

Texas commitment set to visit
Calhoun (Ga.) High tight end and 4-star Emaree Winston told OnTexasFootball Monday that he plans to visit for the Spring Game April 20. 

Winston, 6-2 and 230’ish, received a visit from Steve Sarkisian, Jeff Banks and Tashard Choice in January. Winston did not attend Texas Junior Day January 20, but did make a UCF visit when in the Orlando area. 

Spring Game visitor list:
Emaree Winston, TE, Calhoun (Ga.) High #AllGasNoBrakes 
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star

Michael Terry, ATH, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights
Texas, TCU and Texas Tech the top 3 currently. 

Rickey Stewart, RB, Tyler (Texas) Chapel Hill
Texas leads large over Baylor, SMU and Oklahoma State.

Gus Cordova, DL, Austin (Texas) Lake Travis
Texas, Texas A&M and Oregon are the three schools mentioned the most. 

More April visits

April 6 visitor list:
John Mills, IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius
Texas will also receive an official visit June 14-16

April 13 visitor list:
Faheem Delane, S, Olney (Md.) Good Counsel
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star

Major Preston, CB/DB, Hopewell (Va.) IMG Academy
Texas offered January 30. Blake Gideon is in consistent communication. 

Told OnTexasFootball they plan to visit in April, but don't have date yet:
Kaliq Lockett, WR, Sachse (Texas) High
Steve Sarkisian and Chris Jackson visited Lockett in late January. Texas, USC, LSU, Ohio State and TCU mentioned the most. 

Carmello Brooks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow
Defensive line coach Kenny Baker was by Paetow High in January. Barker has told Brooks he wants him to visit in April. Brooks, 6-3 and 270, may also make visits to Duke and California this spring. 

Ethan Utley, DL, Nashville (Tn.) Endsworth
Texas was in top 2 prior to Bo Davis departing for LSU. Tennessee, LSU and Michigan serious players. 

Jaedon Harmon, LB, Rome (Ga.) High
Steve Sarkisian, Tashard Choice were by Rome High to see the 6-1, 215-pound Peach State linebacker in January. 

Troy Huhn, QB, San Marcos (Calif.) Mission Hills - 2026

March visitor list

March 22-24 7v7 tournament in the Austin area:

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie #AllGasNoBrakes
Will make a first visit to Texas while in town for 7v7 with California Power program/team.

Members the Texas Nightrydas team that are expected to stop and visit Texas while in the area for 7v7 tournament...

Kiotti Armstrong, TE, Jasper (Texas) High - 2025
Texas and Texas A&M remain top 2 with Longhorns slightly trending as of late last week. 

Kade Phillips, S/DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower
LSU, Texas and Texas A&M the three to know moving forward after the Texas offer Sunday evening. 

Javar Thomas, LB, Aldine (Texas) Nimitz - 2025
Texas offered February 2.

Kosi Okpala, LB, Houston (Texas) Mayde Creek - 2026
Texas offered January 22, and leads early. Mayde Creek defensive coordinator is former Texas National Campion linebacker Rashad Bobino.

Tai'Yion King, LB, Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial - 2026
Has 14 offers with Texas A&M standing out early on.

Noriel Dominguez, LB, Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Marshall - 2026
Has 14 offers. Will visit Oklahoma March 9.

Grant Smith, QB, Spring (Texas) Grand Oaks - 2026
Texas QB coach A.J. Milwee is watching Smith throw in person during spring evaluation period. 

March 16-17 (subject to change since spring break for Texas team):
Peter Langi, IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) Archbishop Rirordan - 2025
May reschedule for when team is practicing. This is spring break weekend. 38 offers, including the Horns. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 6

Great update and summary! Thanks Gerry!

I am a bit perplexed about the approach of recruiting Brandon Brown. He is a VERY important DL recruit this cycle and the only DL commit in the class thus far. If I were the newly hired DL coach at Texas, he would have been among the very first people I called. If not on the first, then on the second day on the job.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, TonyG said:

Great update and summary! Thanks Gerry!

I am a bit perplexed about the approach of recruiting Brandon Brown. He is a VERY important DL recruit this cycle and the only DL commit in the class thus far. If I were the newly hired DL coach at Texas, he would have been among the very first people I called. If not on the first, then on the second day on the job.

TonyG - totally agree...especially if it was only a 10 minute conversation ( I can have a 10 minute conversation on the toilet...lol!).  I don't know what the strategy is here but I would think this is one recruit we would want to keep happy.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Gerry, It was reported elsewhere brandon almost flipped to USC during a visit. Did you hear an anything like that?

Heard it, but he’s going to make a lot of visits this spring/summer. 

ball is in Texas’ court on this one IMO

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Monday afternoon recruiting nuggets 

Let’s start the Monday afternoon nuggets with an update on Texas 4-star defensive line commit Brandon Brown (Melbourne, Fla./Eau Gallie). 

Texas defensive line coach Kenny Baker and the 6-1.5, 285-pound explosive defender spoke on the phone for the first time late last week. 

According to Brown, the conversation lasted “about ten minutes”.

“He was letting me know that he was trying to get his family situated in Austin,” Brown told OnTexasFootball Monday. “He said he wanted to get me out in the spring to visit. He was talking about my twitch and the way I get off the ball - he liked that." 

The news of Baker and Brown beginning the relationship building process is key with Brown and the California Power 7v7 team headed to Austin March 22-24 for a tournament in the Austin area. Brown will also be in Texas April 5th weekend for a 7v7 tournament. 

The Texas commitment lists Texas A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, USC and Ohio State as programs that are coming after him with an all in approach. 

Texas commitment set to visit
Calhoun (Ga.) High tight end and 4-star Emaree Winston told OnTexasFootball Monday that he plans to visit for the Spring Game April 20. 

Winston, 6-2 and 230’ish, received a visit from Steve Sarkisian, Jeff Banks and Tashard Choice in January. Winston did not attend Texas Junior Day January 20, but did make a UCF visit when in the Orlando area. 

Spring Game visitor list:
Emaree Winston, TE, Calhoun (Ga.) High #AllGasNoBrakes 

Michael Terry, ATH, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights
Texas, TCU and Texas Tech the top 3 currently. 

Rickey Stewart, RB, Tyler (Texas) Chapel Hill
Texas leads large over Baylor, SMU and Oklahoma State.

Gus Cordova, DL, Austin (Texas) Lake Travis
Texas, Texas A&M and Oregon are the three schools mentioned the most. 

More April visits

April 6 visitor list:
John Mills, IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius
Texas will also receive an official visit June 14-16

April 13 visitor list:
Faheem Delane, S, Olney (Md.) Good Counsel

Major Preston, CB/DB, Hopewell (Va.) IMG Academy
Texas offered January 30. Blake Gideon is in consistent communication. 

Told OnTexasFootball they plan to visit in April, but don't have date yet:
Kaliq Lockett, WR, Sachse (Texas) High
Steve Sarkisian and Chris Jackson visited Lockett in late January. Texas, USC, LSU, Ohio State and TCU mentioned the most. 

Carmello Brooks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow
Defensive line coach Kenny Baker was by Paetow High in January. Barker has told Brooks he wants him to visit in April. Brooks, 6-3 and 270, may also make visits to Duke and California this spring. 

Ethan Utley, DL, Nashville (Tn.) Endsworth
Texas was in top 2 prior to Bo Davis departing for LSU. Tennessee, LSU and Michigan serious players. 

Jaedon Harmon, LB, Rome (Ga.) High
Steve Sarkisian, Tashard Choice were by Rome High to see the 6-1, 215-pound Peach State linebacker in January. 

Troy Huhn, QB, San Marcos (Calif.) Mission Hills - 2026

March visitor list

March 22-24 7v7 tournament in the Austin area:

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie #AllGasNoBrakes
Will make a first visit to Texas while in town for 7v7 with California Power program/team.

Members the Texas Nightrydas team that are expected to stop and visit Texas while in the area for 7v7 tournament...

Kiotti Armstrong, TE, Jasper (Texas) High - 2025
Texas and Texas A&M remain top 2 with Longhorns slightly trending as of late last week. 

Kade Phillips, S/DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower
LSU, Texas and Texas A&M the three to know moving forward after the Texas offer Sunday evening. 

Javar Thomas, LB, Aldine (Texas) Nimitz - 2025
Texas offered February 2.

Kosi Okpala, LB, Houston (Texas) Mayde Creek - 2026
Texas offered January 22, and leads early. Mayde Creek defensive coordinator is former Texas National Campion linebacker Rashad Bobino.

Tai'Yion King, LB, Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial - 2026
Has 14 offers with Texas A&M standing out early on.

Noriel Dominguez, LB, Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Marshall - 2026
Has 14 offers. Will visit Oklahoma March 9.

Grant Smith, QB, Spring (Texas) Grand Oaks - 2026
Texas QB coach A.J. Milwee is watching Smith throw in person during spring evaluation period. 

March 16-17 (subject to change since spring break for Texas team):
Peter Langi, IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) Archbishop Rirordan - 2025
May reschedule for when team is practicing. This is spring break weekend. 38 offers, including the Horns. 

View full news

Been talked about other places also but hopefully Baker gets going full speed and fast. Literally no excuse to wait that long to talk to Brown imo. With E Rob  gone, Bo will be an even bigger nemesis on the trail. And of course the usual suspects. Wanna be fair, and it is early but not a good look so far again imo . This position is so critical for the SEC I truly hope we got this hire right🤘

On 2/19/2024 at 5:59 PM, TTown said:

Been talked about other places also but hopefully Baker gets going full speed and fast. Literally no excuse to wait that long to talk to Brown imo. With E Rob  gone, Bo will be an even bigger nemesis on the trail. And of course the usual suspects. Wanna be fair, and it is early but not a good look so far again imo . This position is so critical for the SEC I truly hope we got this hire right🤘

Didn’t he visit him in Florida already?