Running Back: Strengths and Questions

23 minutes ago, Atticus said:

That's fine. I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Having multiple guys worthy of multiple touches makes you less susceptible to injury and keeps guys fresher throughout the game/season. 

Can you imagine how big of a question mark the position might be if it was mostly Brooks all year last year?

He went down and 2-3 RBs proceeded to have big games down the stretch. 

it certainly is not a Rojo and Bijan type thing where you had 2 Rbs capable of taking 20 carries. Rojo got limited carries, because Bijan was just that damn good. they sprinkled in Keilan, because he just added that 1 exceptional trait (speed). For a position to be a strength, I think it is fair to set the bar at least 1 high level starter. I dont think Baxter or Blue has proven that yet. Baxter generally went down too easily last year, as a result had a sub 5 ypc mark. Blue had 2or 3 fumbles in 65 carries, which is far too much. We will see how he fairs between the tackles. Even with Brooks in the line up, I thought Texas lacked a RB capable of getting 1-2 yards in short yardage (see redzone issues).  I do think a healthy and 1 year older Baxter can be that guy, especially if he shows that burst he displayed in the Houston game. Blue could also take steps. The potential is there in the room, but right now it more of a projection. 

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Agree. Baxter should improve...even if modestly, and is my bet to get the majority of carries next season. Blue should get more touches and thus get more into rhythm.  Not ready to dub them the BJ/Roschon duo, but they should, at the very least, keep the defense guessing. The question is...who will be that 3rd guy to step up? The stable certainly isn't void of options. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, calabasas-horn said:

Agree. Baxter should improve...even if modestly, and is my bet to get the majority of carries next season. Blue should get more touches and thus get more into rhythm.  Not ready to dub them the BJ/Roschon duo, but they should, at the very least, keep the defense guessing. The question is...who will be that 3rd guy to step up? The stable certainly isn't void of options. 

Great Q. And in what role? 

Wisner is a slasher with good receiving skills. 

Christian Clark and Jerrick Gibson fit the inside zone run game scheme very well. Like a glove. One of those guys could end up the short yardage/goal line back too if they are strong out of the gate this spring

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, calabasas-horn said:

How about this question. RB is one of the easier positions to play early. Are we sure that Gibson or Clark will not be getting the majority of carries in week 8? 

Overall, I think the Texas running back room will do as well as any other in the SEC, but I agree that the better OL/DL talent may prove a bigger challenge than most anticipate.  I'm still not sold on Baxter.  He seems potentially injury-prone and didn't really impress me with his ability to consistently find the hole being created or break tackles, and with a pretty good offensive line.  But I admit Bijon spoiled me.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Great Q. And in what role? 

Wisner is a slasher with good receiving skills. 

Christian Clark and Jerrick Gibson fit the inside zone run game scheme very well. Like a glove. One of those guys could end up the short yardage/goal line back too if they are strong out of the gate this spring

Let's never make it obvious that we're running up the middle.  Spread it out and make the defense guess what we're going to do.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, codaxx said:

How about this question. RB is one of the easier positions to play early. Are we sure that Gibson or Clark will not be getting the majority of carries in week 8? 

Both look pretty salty, and it's not out of the question, but as far as an immediate need, Gibson fills that bucket in short yardage situations. He has the ability to make the first guy miss and is strong enough to push through the pile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, calabasas-horn said:

Both look pretty salty, and it's not out of the question, but as far as an immediate need, Gibson fills that bucket in short yardage situations. He has the ability to make the first guy miss and is strong enough to push through the pile. 

That opinion and Gerry’s make me think that 1 of the freshmen could surprise at RB. If there is a need to pull the 225-230 pound RB for short yardage for a freshmen, then there is probably a legitimate battle to be had at RB. Off the top of my head I would say 55% Baxter is the workhorse next year. 25% Blue. 20% on the field. Would be interested in Bobby’s numbers (He is the founding member of C Clark fan club). 

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bobby mentioned on coffee and football this morning that he had PTSD with Texas before years where they thought they would win a lot and then they didn’t. I had that same exact thought this year just waiting for us to drop the ball on the game that we were going to play and projected to win and lose. However, Sark proved me wrong this last year. Just hope we can continue to improve upon the season we had last year. Hookem 🤘🏻

• Hook 'Em 2

Just getting to watch this morning's live and hitting the RB talk. My thoughts since the season ended, if he doesn't decide to transfer, have been to place Savion into a slot/RB role. Without JWhitt, have him fill in that bigger blocking slot guy as needed for a play or two to get downfield and open lanes for Cook/Bond or on screens. Being a Deebo/KaVontae Turpin/Cordarelle Patterson type of multi-tool, same as he was in high school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Going to have your starter Baxter, but I believe it will be RB by committee/situation/game flow and packages. RB by committee you would think less injury possibility, wear and tear and fresher later into season. This is a good problem to have. Imagine the diamond formation with any three in the back field. I can't say which RB is better or best.

• Hook 'Em 1

What I'm looking to see is who is going to step up and break tackles like we saw with Brian, Rojo, and Brooks last year. Brooks surprised me with how good he was at it. Choice is coaching that up really good, the question is, is Baxter or Blue a guy that can take a big step in that regard. Last year, neither seem to have the lower body strength imo. Hopefully all they can add some mass and Baxter can stay healthy.

• Hook 'Em 1

I always thought Brooks was a special player. He just has the IT factor and it was surprising he was so underrated coming out of HS. I’m not sure who of the current group gives me the warm n fuzzies like Brooks did. Doesn’t someone can’t make the leap and grow into the lead role. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The problem with the wildcat is everyone's  seen it. They know what. Is coming. UT would be better off lining up with 3 tight ends pull the guard a push Baxter or use a big lineman to carry the ball. If you use Baxter or Blue the defense has to hesitate because they're not sure. And how about using Niblack on an end around off tackle with a big lineman in the backfield push or block and a pulling guard lead to him or pushing him depending on the set. And after it works, fake it and throw to the lineman or on of the tight ends. 

• Hook 'Em 2