Friday: Workout Notes (Trey Moore Truly Impressing)

56 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Think we'll see Burke at both Buck and Jack. It's fun to imagine third and long with Owens, Burke, Simmons, and Hill all on the field at the same time.

Is Trey Owens the rare QB/EDGE hybrid we’ve all been waiting for?

Hopefully Trey Moore can play well enough to keep him off the field until he’s really ready. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, codaxx said:

Burke has been the Buck, but according PFF, he was the best Edge vs the Run. He was behind Sorrell on Pressure rate (kind of surprising).

I agree that there's traits in both that allow you to mess around with their alignment, but neither of the above are surprising. 

Burke was the best edge against the run because he plays the short side. Sorrell isn't a good chaser. 

Sorrell's pressure rate is a direct result of effort and hand violence, both eclipsing Burke, imo. If he can get more consistent with planning his pash rush and reflexively counter to make up for lack of initial twitch and length to bend, there's a lot of upside left in the college game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the summary Bobby. Really good to hear that Savea is making a good impression, as we need to stay strong at DT considering the losses we have had at that position. I am not expecting us to be as strong against the run in 2024 as we were last season, but I really don't want to be exploited vs the run next year.

Appreciate these updates

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Is Trey Owens the rare QB/EDGE hybrid we’ve all been waiting for?

Hopefully Trey Moore can play well enough to keep him off the field until he’s really ready. 

I keep doing that. I don't expect to stop anytime soon. Maybe by the time the season starts.

23 minutes ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

I am banking on a better pass rush getting better before our secondary does which will help the secondary A LOT. 

I don't know. I think at least to start the season the secondary may be better than the pass rush. Lot of talent and experience between Makuba, Barron, Williams, Muhammad, and Brooks. 

10 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I don't know. I think at least to start the season the secondary may be better than the pass rush. Lot of talent and experience between Makuba, Barron, Williams, Muhammad, and Brooks. 

Secondary’s been a weakness since sark and PK got here so I’ll bank on the lines of scrimmage before them.  

4 hours ago, codaxx said:

Buck is Edge. Jack is Edge, Buck isnt a Jack. Hope that clears it up 

Jask is a Strong Side DE. Buck is a Weak Side DE. Im a former DL Coach and actually heard PK say this at a clinic. Hope that clears things up for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TonyG said:

Really great news on Moore. If he could replicate even half the sack numbers he had at UTSA that'd be fantastic opposite Ethan Burke. I have high hopes for him as well being a year older and stronger going into his third year. If Sorrell plays solid AND Collin Simmons is coming on as the season goes on, we should manifacture a much better pass rush this year.  And that would also help the secondary enourmously.

Biggest question on Trey Moore is if he can replicate his success against Power 5 competition. I took a look at his stats against Power 5 opponents (and Top 25 ranked non-power 5 schools) he played against in the last 2 years.

* He has played 6 games in the last 2 years against Power 5 and Top 25 ranked non-power 5 teams
* 3.5 sacks and 21 tackles over those 6 games
* That would translate to 7 sacks and 42 tackles in a full game season

Takeaway: There is reason to believe Trey could still reach that 7+ sacks per year despite stepping up to play bigger competition in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Will be a shame if it becomes one thing after another. Hope this is the extent and he gets right quickly and stays right

He's got a lot of time to develop and Edge is no longer a position with paper thin depth.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Rickysonehitter said:

I agree that there's traits in both that allow you to mess around with their alignment, but neither of the above are surprising. 

Burke was the best edge against the run because he plays the short side. Sorrell isn't a good chaser. 

Sorrell's pressure rate is a direct result of effort and hand violence, both eclipsing Burke, imo. If he can get more consistent with planning his pash rush and reflexively counter to make up for lack of initial twitch and length to bend, there's a lot of upside left in the college game. 

Enjoyed this post. Thanks and please participate more.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Lam Dinh said:

Biggest question on Trey Moore is if he can replicate his success against Power 5 competition. I took a look at his stats against Power 5 opponents (and Top 25 ranked non-power 5 schools) he played against in the last 2 years.

* He has played 6 games in the last 2 years against Power 5 and Top 25 ranked non-power 5 teams
* 3.5 sacks and 21 tackles over those 6 games
* That would translate to 7 sacks and 42 tackles in a full game season

Takeaway: There is reason to believe Trey could still reach that 7+ sacks per year despite stepping up to play bigger competition in the SEC.

They are excited about him.

23 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

Apparently it's an ankle one now.

Kid is talented but best ability is availability.  Our program is pumping in guys higher rated year after year at his position.  At some point, he is going to get passed up because coaches can’t depend on him to stay healthy.

• Sad 1