Emptying the Notebook

12 hours ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

I like the news  on the Arizona DT. We have already upgraded the position if the reports turn to fruition. Carter was the only person we lost that we didn’t expect to potentially lose and the early feedback looks promising.

TY Bobby

I do not think Texas has upgraded the position at this point. There is a big chasm between Sweat/Murphy and the rest of the group. I know that that attrition was expected, but Luginbill made a great point yesterday. How big is the drop off?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Doc Strangemood said:

Fans have always been paranoid over the depth at DT.  This year, UT's the depth at QB is more concerning, IMO.  Who is the fourth team QB?  We've  had to go there before.  A&M had to last year.  Didn't Florida State?  Part of the game. 

If Texas has to go to its fourth string QB, then the team is toast. But in the last 20 years, I don't think Texas has played its fourth string QB out of necessity.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

I do not think Texas has upgraded the position at this point. There is a big chasm between Sweat/Murphy and the rest of the group. I know that that attrition was expected, but Luginbill made a great point yesterday. How big is the drop off?

I’m with Gerry on the DT position. Sure it will take a step back and is an area of needed development but we can work around it. If those guys were the best duo since Hampton/Rodgers, guess what, we have had a lot of experience playing without that type production and have been able to field some pretty good Defenses on the whole. Definitely need to coach up the guys there and scheme around potential deficiencies.

As for Sydir, I’m not looking for him to dominate in 2024. But what I want to hear is that he looks like he could dominate in 2025. If he is making those steps he’ll provide the quality snaps we need this year. 

We need to stop comparing (contrasting) the 2024 guys with Sweat/Murphy and evaluate them against what is needed for the D to be conference/national championship contenders. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

Upgraded as a trade with Carter and the Arizona DT. 

Reaching what we had isn’t happening. I get that for sure. Thats ann  all time tandem we’re losing as far as I’m concerned. The Sweat/Murphy duo has only been rivaled by Hampton/Rogers in my fandom.

We need one of the Mich guys to hit the portal.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

Upgraded as a trade with Carter and the Arizona DT. 

Reaching what we had isn’t happening. I get that for sure. Thats ann  all time tandem we’re losing as far as I’m concerned. The Sweat/Murphy duo has only been rivaled by Hampton/Rogers in my fandom.

We need one of the Mich guys to hit the portal.

Concur completely.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Doc Strangemood said:

Fans have always been paranoid over the depth at DT.  This year, UT's the depth at QB is more concerning, IMO.  Who is the fourth team QB?  We've  had to go there before.  A&M had to last year.  Didn't Florida State?  Part of the game. 

IF takes needs 4 QBs the season is done anyway. In a portal world it is hard to have 2 decent QBs. 

DT depth is not really the issue at DT. Texas has 3 techs falling out of the sky. The question is if there is a run stopper in the group. Murphy was more of the gap shooting DL last year and Texas has a plenty of those. Sweat was an immovable object that ate double teams for breakfast and I am not sure that there is a player on the roster that can can fill that role. I think guys like January and Sydir can will be fine in 2025, but not sure in 2024. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, codaxx said:

IF takes needs 4 QBs the season is done anyway. In a portal world it is hard to have 2 decent QBs. 

DT depth is not really the issue at DT. Texas has 3 techs falling out of the sky. The question is if there is a run stopper in the group. Murphy was more of the gap shooting DL last year and Texas has a plenty of those. Sweat was an immovable object that ate double teams for breakfast and I am not sure that there is a player on the roster that can can fill that role. I think guys like January and Sydir can will be fine in 2025, but not sure in 2024. 

That’s the interesting point you’re making about Murphy. 

I get he is possibly a first round draft pick and hard to replace but the team has plenty of solid gap shooting  DL in Collins Bledsoe and Broughton and Savea. 

So instead of needing two DL I think we have a replacement maybe not of equal caliber to Murphy but solid players to replace him . And it’s starting to Sound like Bledsoe could be disruptive like Murphy. 

Replacing Sweat is the real story her as you mentioned. 

Can  a Collins Broughton Savea Bryant Mitchell and January spilt up Sweats reps to give us quality reps in short spurts allowing us not be dependent on just one player like Sweat getting most of the reps but still provide quality reps at eating up tackles. I’m not sure all those players can do it but several possibly  can .

A  thing I did find interesting was that coach baker was hired from Miami. Who ran a similar defensive front to UT. 

Coach baker was part of the staff that helped Raekwon Davis 6’7 325 from Bama who was an outside DT/ DE at Bama become a starting NT a position in which he was not familiar with or comfortable with. But was Coached up to be an NFL caliber starting NT. 

I’m not saying Collins at 6’5 317 is the same Caliber as Raekwon Davis but curious if Coach Baker seems some similar aspect to Collins game to get him to play NT Reps. 

But Then  ideally just need one more NT from the portal which could be easier said than done.