Update on DB recruiting (Thursday 12:58 p.m. CST)

• Moderators

The Texas Longhorns official visit weekends are taking shape quickly. In the case of the defensive back position, this list may take a little longer to play out. 

OnTexasFootball has been gathering information of some of the top targets at the defensive back position yet to lock in official visit dates.

Dorian Brew, CB, Conroe (Texas) High

OnTexasFootball has spoken with a pair of sources close to the recruitment of the 6-2, 197 pound corner with a Ryan Watts like frame this week. 

Brew and Texas are working out the details of a June official visit. The OnTexasFootball 4-star is expected to make his official visit to Texas either June 21-23, or June 14-16. Ohio State and LSU are also expected to receive OV's for sure. Texas A&M and USC are possibilities. And Michigan is remaining in the fight. 

Brew visiting Texas either April 6 or for the spring game April 20 is also in play. 

Adonyss Currie, CB, Lancaster (Calif.) Quartz Hill

Texas defensive backs coach Terry Joseph is in contact with the 6-2, 170 pound speedster that is expected to flirt with 10.4 FAT this spring. Steve Sarkisian and Joseph are in talks with Currie and his circle about a June official visit. A visit to Texas is expected, but the when is the question. 

Currie has already begun locking in official visit dates. Those include Texas A&M and maybe Nebraska in April. Washington's big visit weekend May 31-June 2, Miami (Fla.) likely June 7-9 and Utah June 14-16. 

Those dates would fit about perfect for Texas, as the Longhorns could bring Currie in for the big visit weekend June 21-23. The Oregon Ducks are working to win out for the June 21-23 weekend. 

Faheem Delane, S, Olney (Md.) Good Counsel

The 6-2, 195 -pound rangy and physical safety reiterated to OnTexasFootball that he will visit Texas April 13-14. He also said he has yet to lock in an official visit date to Texas. He continues to be in consistent contact with safeties coach Blake Gideon, who made a stop at Good Counsel in January.

Ohio State, Tennessee, Oregon and Maryland are the main competition headee into the spring. 

Texas DB official visitors locked in (March 7)

June 7-9

Caleb Chester, CB, Missouri City (Texas) Marshall
OnTexasFootball ranking: 3-star
Official visit schedule: Texas June 7-9, Arkansas June 14-16, Texas A&M June 21-23

Courtland Guillory, DB/S, Houston (Texas) Klein Oak
OnTexasFootball ranking: 3-star
Spring unofficial visits: Texas March 23, Texas A&M April 6

June 14-16

Cobey Sellers, CB, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 7-9, Texas June 14-16, Oklahoma June 21-23

June 21-23

Kade Phillips, DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star
Official visit schedule: Texas A&M June 7-9, LSU June 14-16, Texas June 21-23

View full news

• Hook 'Em 5

Texas took a big DB haul in 2024. 

I think success in this cycle at DB would be.... 

-Sign Kade Phillips as the lead safety prospect 

-Close on Caleb Chester and his length/speed upside combo at CB 

-Find a way to get one of Sellers/Dorian Brew

-Get the best player available if possible

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, goathumper said:

Maybe the most interesting position right now in the 2025 cycle ... because more unknowns, and room for targets to emerge. 

I'm interested to see where Major Preston is after his April 13-14 visit. He has OV's to Florida June 7-9 and VaTech June 21-23 right now. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2McLUJ

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Maybe the most interesting position right now in the 2025 cycle ... because more unknowns, and room for targets to emerge. 

I'm interested to see where Major Preston is after his April 13-14 visit. He has OV's to Florida June 7-9 and VaTech June 21-23 right now. 

Preston can play. Any idea what he tested at the IMG combine the other week?

1 hour ago, goathumper said:

Delane is top safety prospect.

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Swayde Griffin getting a serious look? If I remember correctly he posted some impressive athletic times recently with a nice frame and obviously Texas legacy. Particularly curious based on the feeling that there are many unknowns with potential for late bloomers to emerge

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
Just now, Longhornfocus said:

Swayde Griffin getting a serious look? If I remember correctly he posted some impressive athletic times recently with a nice frame and obviously Texas legacy. Particularly curious based on the feeling that there are many unknowns with potential for late bloomers to emerge

I do think Swayde is going to get a real spring eval look from the Texas staff. Kind ignore his upside

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, FrancoBevo3.0 said:

Does aggy just follow Sark around and offer everyone Sark offers?

lol ... there are definitely going to be more head-to-head recruitments moving forward in the SEC ...

Watch OL recruiting in-state in 2025... Texas vs. OU vs. A&M. Some big, and key battles. Aggies must get well up front on offense in the 2025 cycle. A lot of emphasis there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators

This is a really interesting bunch. Following up the 2024 class with another strong crop is going to be important for early SEC success. Landing a big time CB like Brew will go a long way for Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Gerry, whatever happened to the Daryus Dixson and Chuck McDonald recruitments?  Are we still communicating with either? Seems Sark's recruiting wizardry with Mater Dei doesn't extend to the defensive side of the ball??  

(came across as a criticism and wasn't meant that way, I have complete confidence in our recruiting of DBs,,,)

Edited by t.newman
additional thought

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, t.newman said:

Gerry, whatever happened to the Daryus Dixson and Chuck McDonald recruitments?  Are we still communicating with either? Seems Sark's recruiting wizardry with Mater Dei doesn't extend to the defensive side of the ball??  

(came across as a criticism and wasn't meant that way, I have complete confidence in our recruiting of DBs,,,)

I believe communication has been there … not sure how high those guys are on the board right now … 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I'm not following lol What went over my head?

Dark mode provides some text normal, some in white (like copied from somewhere), and some in black that can't be read in dark mode

Screenshot_20240307-183152.png

• Hook 'Em 1