Texas Baseball Coaching Staff News (Saturday 9:45 AM)

• Moderators

Yesterday the No. 24 ranked Longhorns made the trip to Lubbock, which saw them demolish No. 17 Texas Tech last night 22-8 in the first game of the series. 

One person who didn’t make that trip, however, was assistant/1st base coach Philip Miller.

While there are reports out there that he is taking a leave of absence, On Texas Football does not expect Miller to return. 

Expect an internal promotion to fulfill this role. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• Blake Munroe changed the title to Texas Baseball Coaching Staff News (Saturday 9:45 AM)
  • Moderators

A couple of other things…

I was told this (the loss of Miller) won’t affect on the field play at all. 

Before anyone claims Pierce doesn’t want to promote Tulo or anything, that’s not the case. Sounds like Texas would love to have him in that role… But I don’t expect it to be him at all. 

I do like the name I heard, however. I think he could really help in certain areas of the team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Jerry K said:

Thanks Blake! 👊

I’m just guessing here but curious if Miller and Tulo butted heads. Miller has been with coach Pierce a long time. 

I can’t say for certain on that. But yes, over a decade with Pierce iirc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, horns96 said:

Is Tulo still working on a degree?

Whatever the case, losing one of only three full-time paid coaches before conference play even begins doesn’t say much for Pierce’s program.

I think coach Miller has either developed some bad habits or hasn’t evolved like he should or both. I have no inside knowledge that’s just my gut. If that’s the case getting rid of Miller isn’t necessarily a bad thing. 

I have no expectations for this team after going 0-3 and getting embarrassed by the SEC. Even if we go on a run it’s because the Big 12 is a shell of what we’ll run into next year.  If Texas were in the SEC this year, they would struggle to make a regional. 

Pitching is an issue. Both starting outside of LBJ and the pen.

I’m just going to watch and hope for the best

Edited by CoachBobbyFinstock
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Neil Leininger said:

This program is a joke lead by the joke of a head coach.

You mean the same joke of a leader and program that has reached the CWS 2 of the last 3 years??? Come on man….😉🤣

2 hours ago, Neil Leininger said:

This program is a joke lead by the joke of a head coach.

8 minutes ago, LILP said:

You mean the same joke of a leader and program that has reached the CWS 2 of the last 3 years??? Come on man….😉🤣

Absolutely. This program isn't thriving under the leadership of Pierce. 20-28 vs. SEC in his career at Texas.

He's been given pillow soft regionals and didn't even have to face the #1 seeds from the paired regionals in two of those 3 CWS appearences. Losing record in Omaha (3-6) with 5 embarassing losses including another 20 K performance, while not even really competing in the two appearences were he went 0-2, outscored 34-11 in those games. Every season his team's at Texas have had obvious holes, and he has never managed to have a complete pitching staff. Last year, he had 3 options, this year he has 1.

Coaching turnover after almost every season.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hornmatic said:

Great series win 🤘

Much rather have Pierce than the other hot names that were mentioned upon his hire like Tadlock and Schlossnagle. Please bring up their sterling cws records. 

So you don't want two other coaches with similar CWS records as the coach you prefer. Good call.

On 3/9/2024 at 9:48 AM, Blake Munroe said:

Yesterday the No. 24 ranked Longhorns made the trip to Lubbock, which saw them demolish No. 17 Texas Tech last night 22-8 in the first game of the series. 

One person who didn’t make that trip, however, was assistant/1st base coach Philip Miller.

While there are reports out there that he is taking a leave of absence, On Texas Football does not expect Miller to return. 

Expect an internal promotion to fulfill this role. 

Any updates on the status of Phillip Miller?