College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

40 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

Lampkin is good if he lays off the pot. Just look at NC State's big for reference. Don't confuse athleticism with basketball skill. Mitchell is in the Top % of basketball athletes, but in the bottom % of basketball skill. I'd take Lampkin over Mitchell everyday of the week.

I’m not confusing athleticism for basketball skill.  So not sure what you’re talking about. 

Texas has to get guys with length that can stretch the floor. The blueprint is obvious if you’ve watched the tourney.

There is a unicorn or two with that kid from NCSt and maybe Edey. For the most part though it’s spread em, ball screen two man game, kick to shooter or high low action.

Edited by CoachBobbyFinstock
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GJH said:

So do we see a lot of Cam Scott this year or does he slide into the Chris Johnson wait and develop role?

He’s more gifted than Chris. Never know how freshman will react to college ball. Some pick it up right away and some can take two years. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, GJH said:

So do we see a lot of Cam Scott this year or does he slide into the Chris Johnson wait and develop role?

Cam is going to be a heavy minute player in year one. He's a legit future NBA draft pick talent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

Texas has to get guys with length that can stretch the floor. The blueprint is obvious if you’ve watched the tourney.

There is a unicorn or two with that kid from NCSt and maybe Edey. For the most part though it’s spread em, ball screen two man game, kick to shooter or high low action.

1000%. Bigs that can help stretch the floor better be true difference makers with feet in the paint. 

• Hook 'Em 2

@Gerry Hamilton I am going to provide some really honest and hopefully helpful feedback.

I am here for the basketball nuggets because to my knowledge you are the only real basketball insider on any Texas site. It’s why I bought an IT sub last spring. Your portal coverage was phenomenal. I’d pay double what I pay on any other site just for that.

That said, the portal coverage so far feels super light. Will it pick up over the coming weeks?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, sarcher93 said:

@Gerry Hamilton I am going to provide some really honest and hopefully helpful feedback.

I am here for the basketball nuggets because to my knowledge you are the only real basketball insider on any Texas site. It’s why I bought an IT sub last spring. Your portal coverage was phenomenal. I’d pay double what I pay on any other site just for that.

That said, the portal coverage so far feels super light. Will it pick up over the coming weeks?

That's not really up to me. Last year there was so much explosive news going on ... Ron Holland and AJ Johnson, Dillon Mitchell and draft process, building out almost entire roster ... this year is going be much more calm in explosive news. 

Texas has less moving parts vs. last off season, and there is feeling out where Texas actually sits in the portal in terms of pecking order. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

That's not really up to me. Last year there was so much explosive news going on ... Ron Holland and AJ Johnson, Dillon Mitchell and draft process, building out almost entire roster ... this year is going be much more calm in explosive news. 

Texas has less moving parts vs. last off season, and there is feeling out where Texas actually sits in the portal in terms of pecking order. 

That’s fair, and even that is interesting insight. Do you know if Texas has any scheduled visits yet?

3 hours ago, sarcher93 said:

Same reason I am here. He is the best. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, carsonsmith84 said:

Lampkin deciding tonight per his IG. Trilly saying he’s hearing Georgetown, Texas mostly but also Syracuse

Yeah I saw you put it up on IT. Have a strong feeling Gerry would know if it’s Texas. 

re: Chris Johnson.  I think this is a painful loss.  Am I wrong?

All pre-conference season I wanted him used more so that he would begin to mature as a reliable tall PG who would relieve the team of the burden of relying on Hunter as the main ball handler and distributor.  I never understood the minimal minutes CJ played in those games although I read some rumors of injuries.

I have yet to have read anything that clarified my understanding.

I was hoping he would stick around, but sometimes kids just don't want to wait their turn. He was recruited over at Kansas and came here, every time he played he was a turnover machine, 24% TOV. He was unplayable in conference games. Building a roster is going to be tough moving forward because you have to nail your evals or you lose kids after a season.

• Hook 'Em 1