Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Marcus Freeman for college football ... and it's not even close when thinking about hiring a coach for a 8-10 year type run 

KDB purely on HC traits close-ish? not sure about handling Texas fit (biggest stage, biggest recruits...)

With all due respect, no to Traylor making the leap and being in for 10 years??

 

Posted

I think at this stage in his life, Muschamp is content being a well paid DC and enjoying life with his family.  Less headaches to deal with unlike the head coach.

I agree with Gerry that top choice should be Marcus Freeman if not looking for a short term fix.  He's been able to handle the Notre Dame brand and demands (which is similar to Texas); can recruit, and has built good teams.  Would be similar to problem as Sark though in that NFL will come knocking.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted

In trying to read the tea leaves, I think Sark leaves for the NFL this year, whether or not he wins a natty. I think Arch is his prized alumnus, because of name, notoriety and ability, but I think this will be it for him. He's already let go of the defensive side of the ball, at end of year he takes his ball and moves on to the next level. The cake is baked, as Charlie Strong was fond of saying. 

IF Sark does leave, I think Muschamp is as good a choice as any to replace him, so long as he hires someone who is a great OC AND recruiter, then relinquishes that side of the ball to whichever dynamic coach that ends up being. I like Muschamp's aggressiveness and energy, but I saw at Florida and South Carolina what a team looks like when Muschamp is at the helm. So he needs an approach similar to Sark's where everyone can focus on their forte.

Posted

I doubt Sark is leaving for the NFL after this season.  I also doubt Muschamp wants to be the next HC at Texas, but if he ends up with that job, he will need to fully embrace being a CEO HC instead of being both the HC and defensive play caller.  I think he would be good at calling the defense while also being the HC, like Venables is, but it would take too much time away from him fulfilling his HC duties imo.  Saban and Smart are two of the best HCs this century, but once they became HCs, they gave up play calling.  Muschamp would have to do the same and hire a "HC of the offense" if he wanted to succeed as a HC at Texas.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, tfoster40 said:

Who would be your first call if let’s say Texas wins a natty and Sark goes to the NFL?

Edit:  Just saw Gerry's response above mine.

Edit

Edited by Holy Cow

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.