Williams commits to OU

2 minutes ago, Robert Gilbert said:

What a waste. At OU he will be a small piece of a fair to a poor defense. At UT he could have been the piece that propels the Longhorns 2 or 3 games into the playoffs. 

At the end of the day they are the ones that probably way overpaid his value. His brother committing also probably played a small factor into his decision. 

I think Gerry was hinting at it this morning during Coffee & Football when he said is the juice worth the squeeze. Sounds like it ended up being more about NIL than anything else. Good luck to him, but I believe Sark & staff will address interior DL

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

At the end of the day they are the ones that probably way overpaid his value. His brother committing also probably played a small factor into his decision. 

Who cares if you overpay? Seriously. We are in a time window where there is no salary cap talking about "overpaying" is for people without the resources, or cheapskates.

If you can afford it and you think they are a contributor then at the end of the day the losers are the ones saying things like "they overpaid". Not saying you should break the bank for every transfer, but Texas has presumably "passed" on like 5 DTs now between both portal windows. With the spring reports that came in about our iDL... I am more concerned about our ceiling in 2024. 

Edited by Ryan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Todd Bates is a really good DT coach with a lot of skins on the wall, I doubt NIL was that different.   Let's not be that fan base that everytime we lose a recruit we cry NIL.    With that being said, hopefully our OL puts him on skates and costs him a lot of money in the 2025 draft.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Who cares if you overpay? Seriously. We are in a time window where there is no salary cap talking about "overpaying" is for people without the resources, or cheapskates.

If you can afford it and you think they are a contributor then at the end of the day the losers are the ones saying things like "they overpaid". Not saying you should break the bank for every transfer, but Texas has presumably "passed" on like 5 DTs now between both portal windows. With the spring reports that came in about our iDL... I am more concerned about our ceiling in 2024. 

Couldn't agree more on all the "passing" on a lot of starters at the DT position in portal.  As @Gerry Hamilton says, there's no excuses for lacking talent or depth in the Portal era at a blue blood school.  The "patience" in the portal has backfired big time.  

Well I hope the dance the demonic Damonic did with Texas drove up the NIL offer from Oklahoma to the point that he disproportionately drained the Sooner NIL budget.

Time will tell about him, but as a longtime CFB observer I have always felt strongly that I don't want a player who doesn't really, really want to be a Longhorn. I'm sure he will enjoy being the Defensive MVP of the Alamo Bowl.

See him in October at the State Fair of Texas.

Hook 'Em!

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

You have to realize that is not the case, unless you are going to kick 10 million to the Texas NIL fund. It is not as rigid as a professional league salary cap, but make no mistake Texas does have a limit to the amount of money they can spend. If you over-pay at one spot, that will leave issues at other spots. You also are going to set the bar much higher than you would like and that is going to have repercussions over time. Imagine paying a DT 2 million. What does that make Quinn worth? What will Collins say? What about Ant Hill or Muhammad? College football is much more complex, than people give it credit for in this NIL world. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, codaxx said:

You have to realize that is not the case, unless you are going to kick 10 million to the Texas NIL fund. It is not as rigid as a professional league salary cap, but make no mistake Texas does have a limit to the amount of money they can spend. If you over-pay at one spot, that will leave issues at other spots. You also are going to set the bar much higher than you would like and that is going to have repercussions over time. Imagine paying a DT 2 million. What does that make Quinn worth? What will Collins say? What about Ant Hill or Muhammad? College football is much more complex, than people give it credit for in this NIL world. 

Exactly. And forget the fact that OU just spent 7 figures on one player to win 6-7 games. Oof 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, codaxx said:

I perfectly understand that Texas has NIL limits, and there are certainly reasons to consider how much you can consistently offer when considering the whole team. But it just goes back to my original point, Texas either didn't have the resources, or was being frugal.

Caldwell, Nolen, Toia, Williams, etc. Texas consistently missed on several "disruptor"-level DTs, so either:

1) Texas couldn't afford it
2) Texas didn't want to pay it on principle(?)

Reason 2) is flawed logic, the market is what the market does, and Texas is not matching that level for these prospects from other teams. If the reason is 1) then so be it we gave it our best shot. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I perfectly understand that Texas has NIL limits, and there are certainly reasons to consider how much you can consistently offer when considering the whole team. But it just goes back to my original point, Texas either didn't have the resources, or was being frugal.

Caldwell, Nolen, Toia, Williams, etc. Texas consistently missed on several "disruptor"-level DTs, so either:

Reason 2) is flawed logic, the market is what the market does, and Texas is not matching that level for these prospects from other teams. If the reason is 1) then so be it we gave it our best shot. 

Texas had one convo with Walter Nolan and said they wasn’t going there. Doubt the issue with him was NIL related. He’s got a history

Buncha cry babies in this thread.  Guys will step up and Texas will be fine at DT.  I'm happy Sark told Williams' pimp that his juice isn't worth more squeeze.  Glad Nolan isn't here either.

13 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

Texas had one convo with Walter Nolan and said they wasn’t going there. Doubt the issue with him was NIL related. He’s got a history

Maybe, I heard that they moved on because he wanted a large NIL and Texas wanted to wait and see what who became available the rest of the portal windows. Now we dont know for sure, but if Nolen had entered the portal right now I would bet money they would be kicking those tires a little more thoroughly than they did during the winter window. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Maybe, I heard that they moved on because he wanted a large NIL and Texas wanted to wait and see what who became available the rest of the portal windows. Now we dont know for sure, but if Nolen had entered the portal right now I would bet money they would be kicking those tires a little more thoroughly than they did during the winter window. 

I think not having a more established DLine coach hasn’t helped either, Bakers just a new face who has to make that name for himself. Also if Williams was looking to be developed into being the best player he could be you’d think he would’ve went to lsu under Bo Davis being as Davis just coached sweat and Murphy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ryan said:

Your quote 

Who cares if you overpay? Seriously. We are in a time window where there is no salary cap talking about "overpaying" is for people without the resources, or cheapskates.

The problem with your posts is they lack the understanding that overpaying a player can have other effects. Not only on your current roster, but also in recruiting. Dollars to one player affect all players. How a team allocates their NIL money is going to be very important for longterm success going forward. 

The market is the market, but that doesn’t mean that every NIL deal is made at fair value. That is what makes deciding on “value” of a player tough. We have seen schools reset market levels in a singular recruiting cycle or a player. We haven’t seen that lead to success on the field. More importantly it is a recipe  for short term success and longterm failure. I don’t know the intimate details of Williams recruitment. I am not going to pretend to say Texas did everything right or wrong. I am saying this is much more complex, than your original statement  

Edited by codaxx

9 hours ago, codaxx said:

The problem with your posts is they lack the understanding that overpaying a player can have other effects. Not only on your current roster, but also in recruiting. Dollars to one player affect all players. How a team allocates their NIL money is going to be very important for longterm success going forward. 

The market is the market, but that doesn’t mean that every NIL deal is made at fair value. That is what makes deciding on “value” of a player tough. We have seen schools reset market levels in a singular recruiting cycle or a player. We haven’t seen that lead to success on the field. More importantly it is a recipe  for short term success and longterm failure. I don’t know the intimate details of Williams recruitment. I am not going to pretend to say Texas did everything right or wrong. I am saying this is much more complex, than your original statement  

You are completely missing the point, but this is getting tedious. Sometimes aiming for short term success is more important than potential long term success; by definition long term outlook is harder to predict. This is why you see NFL teams make big free agent moves at the supposed "detriment" to the team in the long term -- because they see a window. If you don't understand this, I don't know what to tell you.

We have seen schools reset market levels in a singular recruiting cycle or a player. We haven’t seen that lead to success on the field. More importantly it is a recipe  for short term success and longterm failure

The portal has not been around long enough to definitively make that statement. A&Ms 2021 Highschool NIL recruiting approach definitely turned out a lot different than FSU's NIL Portal approach last year, for 2024 let's see how OSU and Ole Miss hold up to your statement. 

17 hours ago, Ryan said:

You are completely missing the point, but this is getting tedious. Sometimes aiming for short term success is more important than potential long term success; by definition long term outlook is harder to predict. This is why you see NFL teams make big free agent moves at the supposed "detriment" to the team in the long term -- because they see a window. If you don't understand this, I don't know what to tell you.

The portal has not been around long enough to definitively make that statement. A&Ms 2021 Highschool NIL recruiting approach definitely turned out a lot different than FSU's NIL Portal approach last year, for 2024 let's see how OSU and Ole Miss hold up to your statement. 

NFL is a bit different. They can walk from contracts and not have issues. NFL can go out and “buy” a single year and deal with the down years. Marlins were a great example of that in baseball. There is a difference. Professional teams can draft talent. College teams need to recruit talent. If you have a big down swing in College, it can have much bigger effects 

NIL isn’t new. The concept has been around, since Walter Camp was spending money on players. The only difference is it is now legal, which makes it more widespread and the dollars larger. If you don’t think there have been NIL deals that went on above market pricing already, I don’t what to tell you 

• Haha 1