Who’s next from the portal?

12 hours ago, Derek Handler said:

Still have 2 more spots, I'd like to see another DT with 2-3 years left, same at CB or LB.  

For certain reasons, I can't get into this right now. But I think the Horns actually have 3 spots left. And it's not because anyone is leaving the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

For certain reasons, I can't get into this right now. But I think the Horns actually have 3 spots left. And it's not because anyone is leaving the program.

I think bobby means someone isn’t on scholarship/ someone coming in isn’t on scholarship, but is using NIL to pay for college. If this is true, you can probably expect Texas to try and fill all three spots if they are going to the extent of creating extra space.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:13 PM, noahlebig said:

I think bobby means someone isn’t on scholarship/ someone coming in isn’t on scholarship, but is using NIL to pay for college. If this is true, you can probably expect Texas to try and fill all three spots if they are going to the extent of creating extra space.

My understanding is that any player coming in and not on an athletic scholarship needs to be accepted to The University like any other academic student. Not that that's not possible, but would typically be the exception. Apparently Bert Auburn falls into this category.

6 minutes ago, TXFF said:

My understanding is that any player coming in and not on an athletic scholarship needs to be accepted to The University like any other academic student. Not that that's not possible, but would typically be the exception. Apparently Bert Auburn falls into this category.

I don't have direct knowledge of it, but was told by someone who has a couple of connections in the athletic department that the staff can get some limited leniency for a small handful of "Preferred" walk ons who are on the cusp of acceptance but may not make it without the athletic "push".  Don't know how true that is or how many they can push for if it is true, but it makes a little bit of sense in some cases.  I imagine @Bobby Burton has some contacts who would know for sure.