Former UNM Forward JT Toppin

27 minutes ago, bierce said:

Here's hoping Codie will be ready and Shedrick stays healthy.

Even if he is ready it’s high school to college basketball. It could take a year for him to get to that level. Or he could be PJ Tucker. He just came in ready. 

2 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

He picked money over Texas. 

With all due respect, it is very foolish to say things like this…after you said this:

“Not Gerry but if it’s money, Texas will not lose. Tech has missed on a lot of players. The kid they just got probably cost them a lot.”

Just sayin’.

1 hour ago, Jordan91 said:

Even if he is ready it’s high school to college basketball. It could take a year for him to get to that level. Or he could be PJ Tucker. He just came in ready. 

"Ready" means for me "rehabbed and able to contribute at this level." 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SamMan said:

With all due respect, it is very foolish to say things like this…after you said this:

“Not Gerry but if it’s money, Texas will not lose. Tech has missed on a lot of players. The kid they just got probably cost them a lot.”

Just sayin’.

Was never expecting Toppin to up his price to beyond all sensible reality. The kid I was referring to went to TCU. I acknowledged I was wrong on that. I had him taking up a significant portion of money. Tech actually has money for one more. 

This kid wanted more than Tre. Tre will be drafted higher so that ended it. Texas was expecting the 700,000.00 range. 

I should have expected this was a possibility when the other kid broke the bank in UTAH. That being said I was wrong. 

As for foolishness maybe look at yourself on that one. 

22 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Just sayin’.

I apologize for the foolish remark below. It’s warranted criticism and I am fine with it. 

When I made that statement I was under the impression Texas wanted to be elite. I now feel they want to be competitive with the chance of being elite. 

I don’t feel foolish though. I have a better understanding of what Texas actually wants to be in basketball. 

Just now, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

I can’t even imagine picking playing in lubbock over austin 🤮🤢

Me too. It stings because it’s a quality player that could have helped at two spots. Just hoping for the best at this point. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

This morning, Rodney Terry called Nic Codie the best player from the Texas high school ranks from this year.

Appreciate it Bobby. Good enough for me then. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SamMan said:

Just sayin’.

I may have misprinted. Texas wasn't going to go on Toppin once the price tag hit a certain figure. 

Similar to Damonick Williams in football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I may have misprinted. Texas wasn't going to go on Toppin once the price tag hit a certain figure. 

Similar to Damonick Williams in football. 

This makes more sense. Womack is on X saying Texas basketball NIL has issues, but he won’t go into it. 

You answered the question though. It was a is he worth it? If a first rounder decided to come back the price would be different. 

19 minutes ago, sarcher93 said:

A few days ago we thought we were getting Toppin

A week ago. Haven’t seen anything else on it. Anything is possible, but need to see more people talking about it. 

1 hour ago, Jordan91 said:

This makes more sense. Womack is on X saying Texas basketball NIL has issues, but he won’t go into it. 

You answered the question though. It was a is he worth it? If a first rounder decided to come back the price would be different. 

Who is Womack? That doesn’t sound good though.

17 minutes ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

Who is Womack? That doesn’t sound good though.

He’s on X. He use to be on one of these sites. I want to say Orangebloods. I was never on that site. He talks Texas basketball a lot. He seems to be the only one saying it. I would imagine lots of people would be saying it if it was true. I would believe it if Bobby and Gerry said that was the case. He’s reacting to Toppin IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1