Quick note on Kenny Baker

• Moderators

I traded messages with Melvin Hills about Baker. The two have yet to speak with one another, but Hills shared with me that he has heard great things about Coach Baker and he is comfortable with the move at DL coach and is looking forward to getting to campus.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Thanks 2

Every DL we have currently on the roster or signed should be extremely excited about this hire. I definitely did not know much about him before we hired him, but this is another hire straight out of the Sark playbook when it comes to a guy who's definitely going to be a STRONG developer of talent. We can't project how he's going to be able to recruit but to be completely honest the days of a rainmaker recruiter who just goes out and gets the guys he wants are a thing of the past. NIL has befcome such a big factor that average recruiters can become much better in the right situations and there's zero doubt that Texas and it's NIL setup will make recruiters better. 

It's going to be very interseting to see how the change from Choate and Davis to Nansen and Baker turns out. We definitely got younger and possibly hungrier at those spots and while Choate was a much better recruiter than most people gave him credit for (He wasn't Choate the goat for nothing!) but I think Nansen is going to be an upgrade there and Davis was a better developer than he was recruiter IMO so hopefully Baker will come in and be similar to a guy like Choice on the trail. If that occurs I could see us ending up improved with two new hires overall and imrpove what was already a very strong staff from top to bottom.

And yes anyone who knows me knows that I'm generally going to be on the more optimistic, glass half full side of things so cut me some slack if I sound crazy.

• Hook 'Em 4