Brett Yormark comments, Big XII media days

From Las Vegas. Some comments from the circus ringleader:

“We have solidified ourselves as one of the top three conferences in America,” Yormark said at Allegiant Stadium. “We are more relevant now than ever before.

There has never been a better time than right now to be a part of the Big 12.”

“We will be the deepest football conference in America, and every week will matter,” Yormark said.

On spreading out the rivalry football games, rather than have them played on the same day in late November. For instance, BYU vs. Utah is on Nov. 9, while Baylor vs. Houston is on Nov. 23and Arizona vs. Arizona State is on Nov. 30:

“Well, I think rivalries are critically important. … I mean Utah-BYU, Arizona-Arizona State, Kansas-Kansas State, Baylor-TCU are, I mean, great rivalries.”

“They were focused on the rivalries that obviously mean something, not only to the history of our conference, but to our fans. And I think we landed in a great place,” Yormark said.

On if the Big 12 can catch the SEC and Big Ten in terms of television revenue, overall financial dominance and nationwide perception as a power conference:

“I say this often: We are one of the three best conferences in America, and we are getting better. Think about where we were just 24 months ago, and think about where we are today. I will not stop until we are the No. 1 conference in America. That’s my ambition, and I shouldn’t have anything but that. That’s the ambition of our conference, that’s the ambition of our ADs and presidents.

“Why would we be doing what we are doing if we didn’t aspire to be No. 1? We continue to get better and I like where we are going.”

Yormark said a possible revenue stream the league is considering is to allow referees to wear commercial patches, which is something the NBA is already doing.

“I haven’t thought through the student-athlete patch dynamic yet,” he said. “I think just given everything that is going on, it is something that is on the table for the foreseeable future. But I do believe in the officials patch. I think it is the right thing to do right now.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, marathon said:

From Las Vegas. Some comments from the circus ringleader:

“We have solidified ourselves as one of the top three conferences in America,” Yormark said at Allegiant Stadium. “We are more relevant now than ever before.

There has never been a better time than right now to be a part of the Big 12.”

“We will be the deepest football conference in America, and every week will matter,” Yormark said.

On spreading out the rivalry football games, rather than have them played on the same day in late November. For instance, BYU vs. Utah is on Nov. 9, while Baylor vs. Houston is on Nov. 23and Arizona vs. Arizona State is on Nov. 30:

“Well, I think rivalries are critically important. … I mean Utah-BYU, Arizona-Arizona State, Kansas-Kansas State, Baylor-TCU are, I mean, great rivalries.”

“They were focused on the rivalries that obviously mean something, not only to the history of our conference, but to our fans. And I think we landed in a great place,” Yormark said.

On if the Big 12 can catch the SEC and Big Ten in terms of television revenue, overall financial dominance and nationwide perception as a power conference:

“I say this often: We are one of the three best conferences in America, and we are getting better. Think about where we were just 24 months ago, and think about where we are today. I will not stop until we are the No. 1 conference in America. That’s my ambition, and I shouldn’t have anything but that. That’s the ambition of our conference, that’s the ambition of our ADs and presidents.

“Why would we be doing what we are doing if we didn’t aspire to be No. 1? We continue to get better and I like where we are going.”

Yormark said a possible revenue stream the league is considering is to allow referees to wear commercial patches, which is something the NBA is already doing.

“I haven’t thought through the student-athlete patch dynamic yet,” he said. “I think just given everything that is going on, it is something that is on the table for the foreseeable future. But I do believe in the officials patch. I think it is the right thing to do right now.”

Yormark oversaw the Big 12s demise. Trying to sell horseshit to a horsefarm. Good luck trying moron.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TarrantCoHorn said:

Advertising on the officials. Groundbreaking stuff!

Hahahaha, they already go to the gambler that pays the most, why not let them advertise too?!?! It’s brilliant really, since they’re so relevant and stronger now than 24 months ago, the officials are part of the must see tv that they’re putting out there. It’s really going to be fun, like WWE. The coaches, players, AND refs get to rumble each week!! 

• Haha 3

Advertising on refs clothing is a risky brand strategy. "Come on throw the flag, what are you too busy drinking duncan donuts coffee!" "Use the preparation H to get the stick of your butt ref, that was holding!" 

Imagine all the negative feelings you would have towards doritos after Kevin Mar spent 12 minutes trying to decide a targeting call on your star safety.

• Haha 1

More relevant in what??? Did they start an underwater basket weaving team or something.  UT and blOwU kept the big 12 afloat for years.  Outside of basketball they are sunk.  Probably 5 years or less and it will go the way of the pac12.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2024 at 2:12 PM, jonbailey said:

Advertising on refs clothing is a risky brand strategy. "Come on throw the flag, what are you too busy drinking duncan donuts coffee!" "Use the preparation H to get the stick of your butt ref, that was holding!" 

Imagine all the negative feelings you would have towards doritos after Kevin Mar spent 12 minutes trying to decide a targeting call on your star safety.

There's got to be a proctologist out there with a sense of humor.

• Haha 2