OU Makes an Interesting Move..

• Moderators

We all know change is coming at some point to college football and more specifically the world of NIL.

The Oklahoma Sooners have made an interesting move to get out ahead of what could be known as the salary cap era when it comes to NIL.

'General Managers' have popped up in college football this offseason, but in terms of spending the actual allocation of funds on prospects, this takes it to a whole 'nother level.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

I am actually a fan of this. Have your player personnel and coaching staff prioritize players by overall need, position emphasis, and ranking in each position and let someone, or a team, who have done it at the NFL level maneuver through the intricacies of building a roster. 

It feels brilliant to me.

• Hook 'Em 17

2 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

I am actually a fan of this. Have your player personnel and coaching staff prioritize players by overall need, position emphasis, and ranking in each position and let someone, or a team, who have done it at the NFL level maneuver through the intricacies of building a roster. 

It feels brilliant to me.

I would like Sark and CDC to make a move like this, im sure this is gonna be popular in college football in the coming years 

• Hook 'Em 2

This is much needed and a good move by OU. As CDC is fond of saying, I imagine we will be doing some R&D on this…rip off and duplicate! Definitely think there needs to be a cap for teams much like in pro sports especially for HS kids so they’re not making more than the proven players IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 1

It will be very interesting to see where all of this goes. Salary caps have always been implemented to promote parity & competition, but college football has never been like that. It’s been the haves & have nots. I actually don’t think adding a cap will help even things out because if money is equal, the big time programs still possess advantages over other ones.

Still, I do believe a cap is necessary to prevent money just being thrown around & players being able to strong arm all their deals. But hey, if someone is willing to pay it then why not capitalize on it while you have the chance. NFL isn’t promised. We shall see how it goes.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

We all know change is coming at some point to college football and more specifically the world of NIL.

The Oklahoma Sooners have made an interesting move to get out ahead of what could be known as the salary cap era when it comes to NIL.

'General Managers' have popped up in college football this offseason, but in terms of spending the actual allocation of funds on prospects, this takes it to a whole 'nother level.

Sark has been asked about this several times.  He allowed Glasscock to leave to be Ole Miss’ GM.  Sark obviously hasn’t seen a need for a quote GM or even someone who handles the finances of NIL or he’d likely have done it this last off season when he restructured things after Glasscocks departure. He elevated Brandon Harris and Taylor Searels to assume some of these roles and responsibilities. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Sark has been asked about this several times.  He allowed Glasscock to leave to be Ole Miss’ GM.  Sark obviously hasn’t seen a need for a quote GM or even someone who handles the finances of NIL or he’d likely have done it this last off season when he restructured things after Glasscocks departure. He elevated Brandon Harris and Taylor Searels to assume some of these roles and responsibilities. 

Bringing in experience in this realm of roster construction and payroll management certainly does not hurt. 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Bringing in experience in this realm of roster construction and payroll management certainly does not hurt. 

I’m still trying to figure how I can get in Sarks payroll myself Bobby lol 😂 

11 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Agreed!  It will be interesting to see how coaches respond to releasing some of that control.  Adapt or die, right?

23 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Brandon Harris was not elevated to replace Glasscock. Taylor Searels does not do anything Glasscock did.

The GM was a newly created role. Glasscock was the director of player personnel, a position now held by Jon Michael Jones.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

I certainly agree. Smart forward thinking move by OU. Sark downplayed the need for a GM when asked about it last. Will his stance change? We shall see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

I certainly agree. Smart forward thinking move by OU. Sark downplayed the need for a GM when asked about it last. Will his stance change? We shall see. 

Wonder if his mind has changed in the last 3 weeks...

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

Brandon Harris was not elevated to replace Glasscock. Taylor Searels does not do anything Glasscock did.

The GM was a newly created role. Glasscock was the director of player personnel, a position now held by Jon Michael Jones.

He elevated Harris with Bobby Merritt departures to become Rice GM. He then elevated Searels into Harris previously held role. Yes, “John” M Jones took Glasscocks position 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

He seemed to see enough of a need to hire one 5 months ago. What does Brandon Harris do as the GM?

Great question. Sark has downplayed the need for a quote GM, he said he is the GM. 

“That connection led to Harris’ opportunity in the role, but so too did the number of vast changes in college athletics. Sarkisian, when asked in previous years about creating a general manager role, said “I am the GM.” But with the need to maintain connections to high school prospects, their coaches, and their families, a new talent pool emerging in the transfer portal, and NIL looming over the entire sport, Sarkisian saw the need to elevate Harris so he could manage the roster “at a little bit of a higher level.”

14 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Great question. Sark has downplayed the need for a quote GM, he said he is the GM. 

“That connection led to Harris’ opportunity in the role, but so too did the number of vast changes in college athletics. Sarkisian, when asked in previous years about creating a general manager role, said “I am the GM.” But with the need to maintain connections to high school prospects, their coaches, and their families, a new talent pool emerging in the transfer portal, and NIL looming over the entire sport, Sarkisian saw the need to elevate Harris so he could manage the roster “at a little bit of a higher level.”

Yeah, I remember that quote. He said he was the GM in previous years, then decided in February to create the GM position at Texas, so he had at least some change in thinking.

What Harris does daily compared to other GMs at other schools would be interesting to know as each school handles the role differently.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

What’s your thoughts?

I would think the staff is sick of losing out on recruits. And you all know the definition of insanity right?

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, GoHorns1 said:

Roster management?

Yes, I was more asking it rhetorically in response to something Sark said 2 years ago about himself being the GM, so there is no need to hire one. His thought process obviously changed, or he wouldn't have hired a GM a year later.

Edited by Assistant Regional Manager

20 hours ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Sark likes complete and total control along with his wing man Jeff Banks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

Sark likes complete and total control along with his wing man Jeff Banks. 

If signing LOI's and the portal remain they way they are now,  I don't see this working out to well.  It looks like the players have the hammer.  The draft in the NFL gives the teams some control over the player they draft.  Under this situation the GM would have to negotiate with with every player with the player being able to go to the highest bidder.  That's not much different than it is now except there is a cap on the money.  If there is no contract the player can still move around at will.   Pretty weak position for the Schools the way I see it.