Why do we have a conference championship game?

Why do we have a conference championship game (CG)?  The winner will get a "first 4" pass.  BUT the loser goes into the "eight team pool".  The Loser of the CG must turn around and play the next week versus a team that has had at least one week off.  The Loser is of the CG is coming off of an emotional investment and will be on the down slide emotionally.

It seems to me that unless a team is damn sure of winning the CG, a better strategy would be to finish third.  Yes, there will be seeding, but is there that much difference between 5 vs 12.  

Two thoughts:

1.  The only reason for a CG is TV revenue.  The whole playoff seeding / top 4 is there to provide a fig leaf of credibility to the existence of the CG game.  If and when we move to a 16-team playoff, the “byes” for the top 4 should go away and then there will be absolutely zero reasons for having the CG games…except for the TV revenue 😀.

2.  While I agree with your points on the loser of the SEC CG having an emotional letdown and having the play again the following week, etc. I would also note that the SEC runner-up (CG loser) will typically be ranked 5th in the playoff seeding (ahead of the 3rd place SEC team) and will therefore face a G5 token the following week (at home).  For example, if Texas loses to Georgia in the SEC CG, we likely play Liberty the following week at DKR.  Not a big risk of loss.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Inspired73 said:

Why do we have a conference championship game (CG)?  The winner will get a "first 4" pass.  BUT the loser goes into the "eight team pool".  The Loser of the CG must turn around and play the next week versus a team that has had at least one week off.  The Loser is of the CG is coming off of an emotional investment and will be on the down slide emotionally.

It seems to me that unless a team is damn sure of winning the CG, a better strategy would be to finish third.  Yes, there will be seeding, but is there that much difference between 5 vs 12.  

I do wonder when the playoff goes to 16 if CCG’s survive 

2 hours ago, Inspired73 said:

To give OU fans something to rub in our faces forever.