Call your shot.... Who's the most overrated team?

3 hours ago, dherring5 said:

OU is going to lose anywhere from 5-7 games this year. They aren’t a top 25 team, let alone a top 20.

Gundy is about five times smarter than Venables. OK State will be better than the Sooners over the next five to seven years. They've been better the last three years. 

20 hours ago, LonghornInOmaha said:

I think Missouri goes back to their historic trend line.  They do have a favorable schedule though.  

Teams like that tend to regress because they don’t recruit well enough to just reload and be a top tier team every year.  Despite the easy schedule I see a minimum of 3 losses for them.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
On 8/9/2024 at 11:05 PM, LonghornInOmaha said:

I think Missouri goes back to their historic trend line.  They do have a favorable schedule though.  

I’m with you 100%. Their schedule is the ONLY reason I didn’t list them. They lost a lot and the loss of their DC, Blake Baker, is huge. He’s one of the best. 

Started as a GA at Texas btw. 

I still feel like many fans aren’t respecting the SEC enough and the emotions that surround every road game. Whether it’s a winless Vanderbilt, a 3 win Arkansas, or a Weigman-less A&M, Texas will still struggle to get to 10 wins next season. It took some late game heroics to beat TCU, K state and a ref assisted win against Houston, just go to 3-0 in those games. Texas would be lucky to go 2-1 down that stretch in the SEC. I think our fan base needs to humble themselves a little bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

A schedule can play a HUGE role in the final rankings. 

Sooners are likely overrated at #16.  Why? Inexperience at QB, 5 new starters at OL, lost their OC, and their schedule is SO difficult - 6 foes ranked in the top 15.  Their D will keep them in games so I can't pick them as most overrated.

I don't know ND and FSU thoroughly but these 2 teams seem overrated.

ND seems overrated as usual at #7.  New transfer QB Leonard has 64% completions and a 145 QBR 2 yrs ago. He's coming off an injury and going to a new team. Maybe the HC and D can uplift them. ND gets FSU at home and 8 fairly easy games.  Luck of the Irish there so I can't pick them as most overrated. 

To answer the questions....FSU is my pick for the most overrated at #10. Why?  I don't believe in DJ at QB (career 60% completions, a 145 QBR last year and now on his 3rd new team). Their schedule seems just tough enough to cause them problems. Maybe their HC and athletes on D prevent a drop-off but I believe FSU is overrated.

An aside, some of these ranked teams likely benefit from their easier schedules.  Penn St, MO, Utes, AZ, NCST, KS and Iowa seem to have more favorable schedules than most teams. 

23 hours ago, Connor Vaughn said:

I still feel like many fans aren’t respecting the SEC enough and the emotions that surround every road game. Whether it’s a winless Vanderbilt, a 3 win Arkansas, or a Weigman-less A&M, Texas will still struggle to get to 10 wins next season. It took some late game heroics to beat TCU, K state and a ref assisted win against Houston, just go to 3-0 in those games. Texas would be lucky to go 2-1 down that stretch in the SEC. I think our fan base needs to humble themselves a little bit. 

Oh goodness, here we go. Coulda, woulda, shoulda....that's called fighting through adversity and winning the game, no matter who the opponent is. A win is a win, and did you expect TCU, K-St, or Houston just to lay down to Texas? Ummm no, Texas has a target on their backs, year in and year out, and every team will play them tough. Late game heroics you say?? Naw, I say a sign of a champion to push through the adversity and get the win. As for the Houston game, refs are humans, they make many mistakes. I could say the same---Texas "shoulda" won the Oklahoma game bc there were many bad calls by the refs. But, I don't ever play that card. The refs are part of the game, just how it is. Sometimes you get the calls, sometimes you don't. Totally disagree with your assessment of the TCU, K-St, and Houston games. But hey, that's what opinions are all about. ✌️ 

On 8/9/2024 at 9:47 PM, FrancoBevo3.0 said:

I’ll take Michigan. I think they will struggle without Harbaugh and without advanced scouting

Usually takes a couple years for the culture to start falling apart after a coach like JH or UM leave.  I think they will be fine for a year or 2.  After that it's on the new guy to keep it rolling.