How big was the Cam Ward portal recruitment?

• Moderators

Mentioned this on YouTube last night … but the Cam Ward recruitment flipped the script in the Sunshine State

Ward picked Miami over FSU, that will be a season changing decision for the Hurricanes (along with two other big portal wins on O). 

FSU takes DJ U. after Ward goes with Miami. The Noles invested in a QB without accuracy and consistency his entire college career, and is not a playmaker. Huge drop off at QB from 2023 to 2024, and thus they can’t mask deficiencies on their team this season.

• Hook 'Em 9

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, harveycmd said:

Hasn't Ward had consistency and turnover problems over the years?

He’s been a consistent passer and playmaker for me … never been lower than 64.1% completion percentage in a season. He was a playmaker on teams that weren’t nearly as talented as their opponents in the PAC-12. He’s had fumble issues … does try to do too much at times. 

He’s 10x the QB DJ U is 

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

FSU takes DJ U. after Ward goes with Miami. The Noles invested in a QB without accuracy and consistency his entire college career, and is not a playmaker. Huge drop off at QB from 2023 to 2024, and thus they can’t mask deficiencies on their team this season.

FSU had 42 pass attempts. Only had 16 rush attempts for 21 yards and DJU had 8 of those. FSU only had 8 rushing attempts by RB’s….yikes.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, FatherofMinky said:

Do you think it changes recruiting much for Miami though since Ward will only be there one year? It’s not like he was developed by Cristobal’s staff, this kid almost went pro.

They can get some hype off a playoff season, if they get there. But Miami's issue is their schedule is so weak any loss will be looked at negatively. 

If I'm Miami, I keep swinging big in the portal and recruit enough HS kids to develop. They don't win on facilities, game day atmosphere and conference in the key recruitments. It's NIL and location. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

They can get some hype off a playoff season, if they get there. But Miami's issue is their schedule is so weak any loss will be looked at negatively. 

If I'm Miami, I keep swinging big in the portal and recruit enough HS kids to develop. They don't win on facilities, game day atmosphere and conference in the key recruitments. It's NIL and location. 

Glad we took some of that GLD NIL with Ffrench picking us...

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Ward only threw 7 INT's in 485 attempts last season BTW. Threw 15 in 950 attempts in two seasons at Wazzu 

I looked at his season stats and it seems Ward certainly hasn't been bad in the least. That said, I've read stuff saying he's made inopportune mistakes against good competition in big games. Maybe that's not really true. I haven't seen enough of him to say.