Surprised to see Brennan Marion as purported culprit in the Sluka UNLV affair

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

I have a hard time believing UNLV can’t come up with $100k for the starting QB unless the coaching staff has pissed off every high roller in that town.

There are folks there who play $100k hands of blackjack. Somebody would have fronted it somehow.

Hey Bobby do think those guys are supporting the program though? I mean which sports team have they really been behind in college other than Tarkanian? Those relationships hadn’t been made the other problem is this kid is pulling a “pay for play”  which you’ve explained in the past on the show. NIL agreements have been honored based on what I’m hearing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Patrick Page said:

Hey Bobby do think those guys are supporting the program though? I mean which sports team have they really been behind in college other than Tarkanian? Those relationships hadn’t been made the other problem is this kid is pulling a “pay for play”  which you’ve explained in the past on the show. NIL agreements have been honored based on what I’m hearing. 

Well, the kid and his agent are saying the agreement wasn’t honored.

The player says he was told he was going to get $100k in NIL and he’s just received $3k.

I don’t think the player is just making this up. That would make no sense.

The school and NIL collective are trying to say there was no formal agreement while the player and his (non-registered) agent are saying it was promised. Seems clear that UNLV and their NIL are trying to walk back on their verbal promises to the QB with the excuse that it wasn't in writing so they don't have to honor it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I suspect that the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Probably a little "mis-remembering" and "wishful thinking" on both sides. 

Marion's Offer:  Having a former college coach in the family, I know that assistance coaches do NOT make offers----of anything -----without the head guys approval.    

21 hours ago, Viper said:

The school and NIL collective are trying to say there was no formal agreement while the player and his (non-registered) agent are saying it was promised. Seems clear that UNLV and their NIL are trying to walk back on their verbal promises to the QB with the excuse that it wasn't in writing so they don't have to honor it.

A written contract would have been an illegal inducement under NCAA regulations.