UT Football 2003 Pregame Video

For anyone curious or just wanting to reminisce, i have a video i had taken on my digital camera back in 2003 that i would like to share with y'all. I think this is during pregame for the Texas vs Nebraska game from 2003. DKR was so different back then! Sorry for the low quality, this is the best that digital cameras could do back then.

• Hook 'Em 10

We had season tickets in that NEZ those years.  Interesting check on my memory - I didn't remember so much green space before the NEZ expansion.

Also really miss a proper PA like Bob Cole, but I'm old.

Edited by horns96
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, sjaveri said:

For anyone curious or just wanting to reminisce, i have a video i had taken on my digital camera back in 2003 that i would like to share with y'all. I think this is during pregame for the Texas vs Nebraska game from 2003. DKR was so different back then! Sorry for the low quality, this is the best that digital cameras could do back then.

Thanks for posting! Brings back so many memories of the warm sunny afternoons of Texas football at DKR Memorial Stadium. I sat in 26U with friends and family for 30+ seasons.

You were correct in noting how wide open it was and how the great Wally Pryor, son of the legendary Cactus Pryor added to the game experience.

When I was a student in the 1970s, the track was still in use, making the fans feel even further from the action on the field.

I look forward to the return of grass to the playing surface.

Watching the clip I couldn't help thinking about the seniors in the LHB would all be over 40 years of age now. And my classmates from the '70s are mostly in our 70s now. Yikes.

Hook 'Em!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jc Dobbs said:

I look forward to the return of grass to the playing surface.

Thanks for sharing! Is this something that is planned in the near future? I just re-watched the clip i posted and realized i should have warned people that it could give them motion sickness, there was no camera stabilization back then on digital cameras 😞

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sjaveri said:

Oh good memories from my first senior year lol. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

Love stuff like this.

For the young ones out there, there once was an entire track oval surrounding the field!

Thanks, Bobby! BTW, you are a "young 'un" to those of us Longhorns alums who graduated in the 1970s !

You've noted the prevailing wind at DKR. The video clip showed how "open" the South end of the stadium was. I once heard Coach Royal say he considered the prevailing South wind in his decision at the coin toss for afternoon games. Royal said he got to know average South wind velocities during each afternoon hour and how the wind was strongest at kickoff and diminished as the afternoon wore on. He thought about his passing and kicking strategies into the wind. He wanted to go from South to North in the Third Quarter to take advantage of the wind, realizing the South wind wasn't as strong by the time the Fourth Quarter rolled around. He said knowing the wind issues was the main home field advantage for the Longhorns and opposing coaches usually didn't consider the wind from the south until about their third visit to Memorial Stadium.

Finally, watching that video reminded me of the great fourth quarter field goal Texas made to beat Virginia... I still remember the deep "THUMP" sound of that kick into the strong South wind that afternoon. 

Thanks to OTF and the OGs for the coverage of this special team and special season.

There's nothing like being #1 ... especially when A&M and OU are having to look up at Texas on top of the national ranking.

Hook 'Em!

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, sjaveri said:

Thanks for sharing! Is this something that is planned in the near future? I just re-watched the clip i posted and realized i should have warned people that it could give them motion sickness, there was no camera stabilization back then on digital cameras 😞

I'm sure Bobby will know the details of the plan to bring back a natural grass playing surface to DKR Memorial Stadium. I think it's been proposed for the '26 or '27 football season but I'm not sure of the year.

6 hours ago, Burnt Orange Horn said:

Planned for 2026.

Burnt Orange Horn -- Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to a beautiful natural grass playing surface. I wonder if it will influence some recruiting decisions by certain players.