Monday: Off-field Hires & Notes

I continue to be told that both Brandon Harris, currently the director of recruiting, and John Michael Jones, the assistant director of player personnel, are expected to be elevated.

Harris is likely to become the team’s general manager or whatever terminology Steve Sarkisian opts to call it, a role which was expected to be held by Billy Glasscock prior to his move to Ole Miss last week. Harris has been a steady, trusted force in the recruiting department for the Longhorns under Sark.

Jones is expected to become the director of player personnel. Jones has been a behind-the-scenes figure for Texas for several years. The team’s successful walk-on program can be partially attributed to his efforts beginning several years ago.

The Texas coaches are off this week. Many will be out of the office. Some are taking mini vacations, some are going to see family, etc.

But as always, recruiting never stops this time of year.

There was a time when the first Wednesday in February was complete chaos for Texas and every other college football team. Not anymore.

It’s almost crazy to consider the Horns will have a completely quiet second signing day.

The current litigation between the University of Tennessee, the states of Tennessee and Virginia, and the NCAA are focused around illegal recruiting inducements.

The NCAA doesn’t want financial inducements to play a role in recruiting. The states of Virginia and Tennessee say that’s a ridiculous rule.

What other “job” do you get where money is not a factor in your decision?

And that’s the issue. The NCAA is clinging on to the idea that this is not about a job, it’s about education. The problem is, it’s actually about both for many of these young athletes.

The NCAA can’t have its cake and eat it, too.

I talked to a legal expert about this over the weekend. They say there’s no question the NCAA will lose this fight, too. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 10

3 minutes ago, HTXHorn said:

@Bobby Burton How much of a loss was Glasscock? I always assumed that he was the primary mastermind behind finding and pushing for recruits in positions of need late in the game, in particular in the portal.  Do we see a potential drop-off on that front?  

I think this is a fair question. The truth is, we don’t know how much of an impact he had.

I would say that he wasn’t really involved in evaluating players as much as he was the system he instituted. He did something at Texas that I think was better than it’s ever been before. More people, earlier evals, then broadening the scope of recruiting, too.

Now some of that was by Sark’s hand and direction and some of it was his own doing and expertise.

I think he’s a loss to the organization. But I also think Sark is capable of hiring and evaluating good people to fill the roles.

• Hook 'Em 8

I think Sark may have felt it was a matter of time before someone tried to poached Glasscock or Harris for GM position. I think Sark was trying to reconfigure the positions. I do believe keeping Harris is very valuable. He seems to connect well with recruits and has really helped Texas Football overall.  Look no further than having Harris on the road recruiting when Davis left.

As far as the NCAA this is not an easy solution. Division I, II, and III will be affected in some shape or form.  I know a lot of people want the NCAA to go away but you need a strong plan in place.  You will need something like they did after WWII with the Marshall Plan. Every level Division I, II, III men and female athletes will need to be evaluated as all will be affected by  NIL, Transfer, Eligibility, etc. 

I am not sure there will be conferences in FBS but maybe a pod or region  structure with each sport having a Commissioner with a rules committee. I think there will be eventually a players union with medical and disability benefits etc.  I see college sports moving to a more professional model with certain rules, regulations, and penalties. 

• Hook 'Em 1