5 man box

I think I’m not horribly worried about the run defense because I think PK’s plan was to test his defense to see if they could consistently stop the run with a 5 man box. They pivoted in the second half because they couldn’t and the difference was palpable. If other teams think the same blueprint will work against Texas they’re gonna be surprised.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

MSU ran the ball 50 times. The veer and shoot is going to give you some advantages in the run game due to alignment/splits.

The longest run of the game was 17 yards and they averaged under 2 yards per carry in the second half.

The run defense will be fine. Again, it took 50 carries to get 150 yards.

Only 3 touchdowns given up all season is wild. With one being essentially garbage time touchdown from Michigan. 

They called every ticky-tack holding on us but on their lone touchdown they just swallowed the whistle while Broughton was Blatantly held. 

i agree run defense is going to be fine. We clamp down when we need to and after adjustments.  I think a bigger issue for us that will come up is fast QBs who can run. 

Edited by Hashtag
  • Hook 'Em 4

MSU runs the Art Briles offense which puts you in a big bind inside of the box. Especially with a running QB. If we can't stop them with 5 really don't want to play Tennessee. OU and Ole Miss also run this offense.

Luckily, OU is the only other team on our schedule with this scheme and they aren't very good at it.

Overall I think this scheme is hard to stop between the 20s but it can be had in the red zone. If we play Tenn we might have to stop them there because we don't seem to have the DTs to shut the running game down while outnumbered.

Edited by whereiend
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

MSU ran the ball 50 times. The veer and shoot is going to give you some advantages in the run game due to alignment/splits.

The longest run of the game was 17 yards and they averaged under 2 yards per carry in the second half.

The run defense will be fine. Again, it took 50 carries to get 150 yards.

The run defense gave up 20 minutes time of possession in the first half and almost 20 first downs overall.  D grade

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

The run defense gave up 20 minutes time of possession in the first half and almost 20 first downs overall.  D grade

There was a 3 possession stretch in the first half where Texas barely held the ball for over 5 minutes.

The offense shares the blame in the time of possession argument.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

There was a 3 possession stretch in the first half where Texas barely held the ball for over 5 minutes.

The offense shares the blame in the time of possession argument.

Defense allowed MSU 6 of 7 on 3rd down conversions.  That’s where the blame lies.

1 hour ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

Considering MSU went 1 for 3 on third down on their opening drive, I’m going to say this stat is false.

6 of 7 on third and short for the game.  Weak sauce.  

Edited by Raistlin