Texas Names Harris GM

This is what I wrote on Monday:

I continue to be told that both Brandon Harris, currently the director of recruiting, and John Michael Jones, the assistant director of player personnel, are expected to be elevated.

Harris is likely to become the team’s general manager or whatever terminology Steve Sarkisian opts to call it, a role which was expected to be held by Billy Glasscock prior to his move to Ole Miss last week. Harris has been a steady, trusted force in the recruiting department for the Longhorns under Sark.

Jones is expected to become the director of player personnel. Jones has been a behind-the-scenes figure for Texas for several years. The team’s successful walk-on program can be partially attributed to his efforts beginning several years ago.

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

I continue to be told that both Brandon Harris, currently the director of recruiting, and John Michael Jones, the assistant director of player personnel, are expected to be elevated.

Harris is likely to become the team’s general manager or whatever terminology Steve Sarkisian opts to call it, a role which was expected to be held by Billy Glasscock prior to his move to Ole Miss last week. Harris has been a steady, trusted force in the recruiting department for the Longhorns under Sark.

Jones is expected to become the director of player personnel. Jones has been a behind-the-scenes figure for Texas for several years. The team’s successful walk-on program can be partially attributed to his efforts beginning several years ago.

Good scoop Bobby.  What is your opinion of the news?

• Hook 'Em 1

So exactly what is Sereals doing now? I hope this works just not sure yet or who was out there to  one in if you didn't stay in house. Time will tell. Still we took a hit on losing some coaches and analysts etc. Way things work these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Baron said:

Where is the old LBJ coach in the hierarchy?

I assume still HS Director of Relations. Haven't heard much about him on any site. I like him and know guys I coached with at one time that like him. But was never sure how he got the job without serious ties to Dallas or Houston area. Still kinda shaking my head on that , but Gilbert was gonna be tough to replace. Time will tell I guess.

44 minutes ago, TTown said:

So exactly what is Sereals doing now? I hope this works just not sure yet or who was out there to  one in if you didn't stay in house. Time will tell. Still we took a hit on losing some coaches and analysts etc. Way things work these days.

Recruits love her she's very good and has been since Texas hired her a few years ago now her sister is a staple within Georgia's program to 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Drunk randoke said:

Good scoop Bobby.  What is your opinion of the news?

I think Sark trusts Brandon Harris and he now has him as the leader of that entire function.

But Sark is the alpha. He’s not going to hire an equal as a GM. That’s just not his vision for Texas football, and you can’t really blame him. He just went to the CFP using his structure. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TTown said:

She’s done a nice job IMO. I hear lots of positive reviews and she’s done a nice job of hiring as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

So as a football business entity….is it kind of:

CDC = Chairman

SARK= President 

HARRIS= General Mgr

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

I think Sark trusts Brandon Harris and he now has him as the leader of that entire function.

But Sark is the alpha. He’s not going to hire an equal as a GM. That’s just not his vision for Texas football, and you can’t really blame him. He just went to the CFP using his structure. 

Agree with this. I would say Brandon Harris has the GM title. Sark and Jeff Banks run the organization. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, davideowens said:

So as a football business entity….is it kind of:

CDC = Chairman

SARK= President 

HARRIS= General Mgr

David, I don’t think Brandon’s job will be as broad as the title of General Manager would suggest, like a GM of an NFL team. I’m sure it’s not that.

It’s revealed in the tweet in Bobby’s first post, these moves are made “within our recruiting and player personnel staff.” I added the bold typeface to emphasize that’s the apparent scope of Harris’, Jones’s etc. responsibilities. With the onset of the portal and NIL, it became imperative to have a hive mind working to focus on this incredibly important aspect of a program (player evaluation [HS, portal, your own team], recruiting, allocation of resources [people and financial], logistics, working with NIL partners and the associated compliance piece so you don’t run afoul of the law/IRS or that thing ambling along called the NCAA. 

I’m sure I left out some areas of responsibility as I’m not in the room when things like Junior Days are planned. It’s a lot.

There are other powerful people in the organization handling the also massive jobs outside the “recruiting and player personnel staff, “ such as hiring all those staffers, training, nutrition, equipment procurement, medical, public relations/media, marketing, video crew. For the football piece, Steve Sarkisian is obviously at the top of the decision making tree. Assembling his staff is clearly an enormous part of his job.  And I suspect he has influence (or could have if he chooses to) with every other piece of the org chart. I’m sure he learned a lot from Saban and Carroll. And though Sark is a nice, engaging guy, he’s no shrinking violet.  

Edited by Ray Peters
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to those getting promoted - but I’m curious as to why Glasscock left at a time when the program is surging. Did he leave for more money? Like Bo Davis? Did philosophical differences emerge? Was it the GM title? Surely not since we just gave that to Harris. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, GPW Horn said:

Congrats to those getting promoted - but I’m curious as to why Glasscock left at a time when the program is surging. Did he leave for more money? Like Bo Davis? Did philosophical differences emerge? Was it the GM title? Surely not since we just gave that to Harris. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere 

Could be a number of things. Wanted to be even more involved with the football side of things, more autonomy, more money, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1