Film Room | Ewers or Offensive Line or Both?

CJ Vogel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

IF these two teams play again… what can sark do differently to prevent the same outcome ? Is it scheme? Personnel? Both? 

I thought Texas moved the ball the easiest all day in 12 personnel, specifically the first drive out of halftime. I wouldbe really interested in seeing what the plays per snap were for Texas when Juan Davis was on the field.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Georgia brings six. Texas has six to protect. 

RB gets blown backward immediately and Ewers gets flushed up the pocket. sack quickly follows. 

Texas RBs try in pass pro, they just aren’t very good at it. Mostly due to their frame. With Roschon Johnson, Jonathon Brooks and even CJ Baxter in the past, at least there was a larger body that defenders had to go through.

Texas is hamstrung in that department currently.  

IMB_VJ0UYX.gif

This is where we have to have shallow crossers to counter this. Quinn steps into pressure instead of up and sliding right to avoid pressure. His tendency is to escape left I’ve noticed which is bad for several reasons the most important is that it requires more work to be able to balance and throw the ball

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
Just now, Alex Butler said:

This is where we have to have shallow crossers to counter this. Quinn steps into pressure instead of up and sliding right to avoid pressure. His tendency is to escape left I’ve noticed which is bad for several reasons the most important is that it requires more work to be able to balance and throw the ball

I would like to see more underneath crossers, but it hasn't ever been a huge part of Sarkisian's offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

It's been the topic of the last 12 hours or so since the conclusion of the Texas-Georgia game.

The Georgia defense dominated all evening with 28 total pressures on the quarterback – the most pressures allowed under Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian. 

Now, Quinn Ewers was not good. But the offensive line did nothing to help the cause. Even with Arch Manning coming into the game, there was consistent pressure on the quarterback.

A few clips in pass protection that were essentially the story of the day for Texas.

Thank you so much for this!! Appreciate the video clips to go with your analysis. Having never played the game (being a female), I enjoy learning more about how different positions impact one another. I have always just watched the football, without fully understanding everything going on around it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, marathon said:

@CJ Vogel

Do you have the clip of the first play after the interception by Mukuba? We had the ball around the Georgia 40 and Sark called the flea flicker type play. The WR was covered deep but Wisner slipped behind the Georgia LBs. Wisner might have scored (or least a long gain) if he held onto the ball.

i think the pass was on target but could be wrong. That one missed play “might” have changed the game. Instead we were forced to punt after our defense gave us good field position.

I think Kirk even said something about looking back at this play as a game changer possibly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Here is where Quinn needs to be better. The pocket is there. Protection stood up. 

Ewers does not step into the pocket and remains too deep for his tackles’ pass set. You can see Kelvin Banks’ reaction that shows the frustration. Not a good rep from Ewers here. 

IMB_k2PTOW.gif

Last I checked football is a contact sport. He's playing scared. I don't see him snapping out of it. He's ineffective. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Kelvin Banks just gets beat here by Mykel Williams. 

Strip sack fumble. Georgia ball. Ewers was going to the far right WR who had a step on a stumbling CB. I believe this was 4th down. 

IMB_d7E0FO.gif

Not buying this one. Count the seconds. That’s 3 almost 4 Mississippi. Ball has to be out by then. An elite QB rifles that in to Golden with anticipation or hits the zig on the left. Just a bad game for Quinn

• Hook 'Em 4

This is the first game in a long time that Quinn hasn't had a clean pocket with few exceptions. Georgia knew they had to apply pressure or he could pick them apart, and they felt they had the personnel to make pressure their best option. They were right...the OL and QE3 weren't prepared for the onslaught. In addition, Georgia was playing out of desperation. Another SEC loss and they could find themselves out of the CFP. Sark likes that QE3 tends to play cool and calm, but when the defense comes out with their hair on fire, it seems like that's a good time for more intensity in his play.

• Hook 'Em 1

What I really don’t like about Texas loss to Georgia is that this loss probably started a spark for an otherwise apathetic, entitled Georgia football team.

Quinn needs to fix whatever is distracting him from playing with focus and skill.  

Whether he’s not being honest about his health, worry about his NFL draft prospects, worry about his rusty performance or worry that this season is a do or die year for him,Quinn needs to start focusing.

Edited by Lavalulu
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Here is where Quinn needs to be better. The pocket is there. Protection stood up. 

Ewers does not step into the pocket and remains too deep for his tackles’ pass set. You can see Kelvin Banks’ reaction that shows the frustration. Not a good rep from Ewers here. 

IMB_k2PTOW.gif

Conner is pounded four yards deep at the snap, are we really expecting Quinn to step into that?

10 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

IMB_k2PTOW.gif

#3 looks scared of the dawgs here 

I've watched the game tape twice. The more I see, the less I blame Quinn. He held the ball too long, and he missed open guys, but he was getting substantial pressure. He should have stepped up more rather than moving laterally, which gave him no chance. He could have stepped up and bought a half second to throw, but that's easier said than done.

• Moderators

Drive 1; This is a really tough one. Georgia plays extremely tight cover 2 man with a QB spy on 3rd & 9. (I know right, a QB spy on Ewers? But it works).

The OL provided time on a three man pressure, though it’s a late developing dig route from Bond that finds daylight (by NFL standards) over the middle just as Quinn’s internal clock expired and he takes off. 

A throw away leads to a punt, which I won’t ever be upset at early on in a huge game. I’d like to hear from Sark/Milwee on how they graded this play specifically. 

IMB_9kDcoR.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll add that I'll take Quinn over Beck in that game. All three interceptions Beck threw were on him. Georgia's front seven whipped us down after down. Quinn could have responded better, but it would have taken a performance for the ages. I'm not too worried about him.

Edited by harveycmd

49 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Drive 1; This is a really tough one. Georgia plays extremely tight cover 2 man with a QB spy on 3rd & 9. (I know right, a QB spy on Ewers? But it works).

The OL provided time on a three man pressure, though it’s a late developing dig route from Bond that finds daylight (by NFL standards) over the middle just as Quinn’s internal clock expired and he takes off. 

A throw away leads to a punt, which I won’t ever be upset at early on in a huge game. I’d like to hear from Sark/Milwee on how they graded this play specifically. 

IMB_9kDcoR.gif

there is really no one open on this , all 5 are covered pretty well. Quinn could try to throw open Moore on the post crossing the field R to L but that would be a perfect throw and he cant lob it slowly. this was the best outcome for this play. 

• Moderators
Just now, TheContractor12 said:

there is really no one open on this , all 5 are covered pretty well. Quinn could try to throw open Moore on the post crossing the field R to L but that would be a perfect throw and he cant lob it slowly. this was the best outcome for this play. 

It's a tight throw no doubt. Though, one that a top 5 QB in CFB can make.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Why is Quinn looking parallel to the line of scrimmage already? No pressure, good pocket. There is no need to check down this early.

Screenshot 2024-10-21 at 12.59.17 AM.png

100% correct, not sure whats going on downfield but our 6 have their 4 blocked very well at this point. he has >1 more second to find someone before swinging it to the RB. Eyes downfield were an issue for Quinn. 

• Hook 'Em 1