On Lake Travis Peanut Incident - J Brooks, T Sweat recent tweets

I personally think he should not have been offered so soon after the incident to make sure he showed actual remorse and change. 

Kids do absolutely stupid things and this was probably one of the worst things they could have done.  However, nobody was severely injured or died so at least they can make it right.  Have they?  No idea and I won't pretend to know.

Edited by FootLaw

Kids out at night driving too fast, could kill their passengers, know it but do it anyway. Many other similars. Peanut deal, not even close to clear any of these guys knew it would kill. Social media self righteous lynch mobs are so predictable. Which is worse, knowing you could kill someone while driving reckless or not knowing you could with peanuts? Reason, all of the social uproar folk have actually driven too fast. Self examination is always good.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I hope 2 things come from this:

1. The kid learns and grows from this.  We all make mistakes of varying degrees, but learning and not repeating your mistakes is key. Especially something that could have been very serious.

2. Sark does his due diligence and makes a decision once all the facts are in place. He has gone out of his way to build the culture and it's a vital ingredient to the team's success. I trust his judgment if he continues to recruit Cordova.

• Hook 'Em 1

Says something about his character if he's not even going to bother apologizing. Why even bother offering after this?

Also, if he didn't know peanuts "could kill" why is he putting them in his teammates locker before a game where he could get sick and not play? Sounds like a real good teammate.

If your bar for someone to be a Texas Longhorn is that he wasn't charged with a crime, then your bar is way too low.

- Longhorn with a peanut allergy

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, skipmcgee said:

So the coaches didn't know more than us?

Interesting.

Per Anwar Richardson Texas has backed off and didn't know all the details etc.Which again I figured was the case. Whatever and however UT got there it was the right move.

When asked if he will be at Spring Game the reply was it is open to the public per Richardson. Players did the work here so good for them. Now hope coaches investigate a little better going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, dentonhorn said:

Kids out at night driving too fast, could kill their passengers, know it but do it anyway. Many other similars. Peanut deal, not even close to clear any of these guys knew it would kill. Social media self righteous lynch mobs are so predictable. Which is worse, knowing you could kill someone while driving reckless or not knowing you could with peanuts? Reason, all of the social uproar folk have actually driven too fast. Self examination is always good.

I believe you need to take that last sentence to heart. 

You had to know that this would be the outcome when all of the graduating team leaders amplified this story. Clearly a tragic poor choice, but he did this to a teammate before a game. That is not something you can overlook. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Fortunately, in this case, the young man will have the opportunity to attend any college with or without a football scholarship. He seems to be from a well off family. This will not define him. For what it’s worth, I agree with every word Nick Saban says in the clip below. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, TTown said:

Per Anwar Richardson Texas has backed off and didn't know all the details etc.Which again I figured was the case. Whatever and however UT got there it was the right move.

When asked if he will be at Spring Game the reply was it is open to the public per Richardson. Players did the work here so good for them. Now hope coaches investigate a little better going forward.

I disagree with that last sentence. You are looking at that from a retrospective perspective and not real time like the coaches. Additionally, you don't know how many times they investigated and did offer or take a kid (there are reported examples out there iirc). No one is perfect so expecting them to be is inappropriate imo. They shown plenty of instances of learn and being better so not sure why you wouldn't think they'd learn if that was even the case imo.

11 minutes ago, Hookem777 said:

I disagree with that last sentence. You are looking at that from a retrospective perspective and not real time like the coaches. Additionally, you don't know how many times they investigated and did offer or take a kid (there are reported examples out there iirc). No one is perfect so expecting them to be is inappropriate imo. They shown plenty of instances of learn and being better so not sure why you wouldn't think they'd learn if that was even the case imo.

Can you not read. The article states they weren't aware of the allegations. Being in Austin myself I find that hard to believe. Took players to do the right thing here. I agree this staff is usually spot on ,  But they dropped it here imo. 

Can agree to disagree respectfully but learning from this is a good thing for all. And btw I know more than you think on this issue as to why I even posted about it after I saw the spin machine from yesterday. Again it is done and hopefully things get better . Seldom have I seen players basically call out  coaches like this. Glad they did!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/20/2024 at 4:19 PM, Bobby Burton said:

Some believe the mother of the player is on a crusade with this. My wife probably would be too if it were our son.

However, it is my understanding that Cordova and others cleaned out the peanuts immediately following being told that the player could actually die from an interaction and also before the player actually put anything on.

However, the player still got hives afterward because of the residue.

Still, the player did not have a major reaction. He got hives. The player who got hives then played in a football game later that night.

His parents didn’t even know it had happened until several days later.

Folks at Lake Travis and officers looked into this and deemed two things: 1) they suspended Cordova for 2-3 games and 2) did not pursue further charges after interviewing all involved.

Again, I am NOT choosing sides. I am putting this out there because both sides should be heard.

People should not condemn Cordova when others, who have and are privy to more info than we are, have decided otherwise.

I’m not going any further on this. Far be it from me to be judge and jury on something I know little about.

LET CANCEL THE TEENAGER!!!! 

15 minutes ago, TTown said:

Good to see you back miss you on IT. Hope all is well👍🤘

Thanks! Im still a bit shocked i got booted for making fun of Wells. I felt i showed restraint on such an easy target.

Edited by Bwub60
spelling
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, TTown said:

Can you not read. The article states they weren't aware of the allegations. Being in Austin myself I find that hard to believe. Took players to do the right thing here. I agree this staff is usually spot on ,  But they dropped it here imo. 

Can agree to disagree respectfully but learning from this is a good thing for all. And btw I know more than you think on this issue as to why I even posted about it after I saw the spin machine from yesterday. Again it is done and hopefully things get better . Seldom have I seen players basically call out  coaches like this. Glad they did!

I can read and definitely won't be responding to you anymore. Definitely from IT. Hook'em 🤘🤘🤘

Edited by Hookem777
  • Thanks 1

I think the main point is that this kid specifically ASKED the victim if he could die from peanut exposure and the victim said Yes he could.  The bully intentionally tried to harm his teammate.  Not an enemy, his teammate, let that sink in!

3 hours ago, Lindy said:

I think the main point is that this kid specifically ASKED the victim if he could die from peanut exposure and the victim said Yes he could.  The bully intentionally tried to harm his teammate.  Not an enemy, his teammate, let that sink in!

That is not all of what I was told happened.

After Cordova allegedly was told that, I was told that that's when Cordova went and tried to clean up the locker before anything would happen. That seems to be an important distinction.

Is that the truth? I don't know for sure. I'm merely passing along what I was told, which is no different than 99-percent of other people are doing here.

How well was the locker cleaned up? Again I don't know.

However, I was told that Lake Travis and school officers investigated the incident thoroughly and did not feel it rose to the level of anything other than what they did.

If Cordova or his friend literally tried to kill somebody through any means - bullying or what have you - he'd be in jail (or awaiting trial).

Look, I really don't have a dog in this hunt.

But folks trying to pushing this one way or the other without specific first-hand knowledge of the incident and all of the nuances of it - and from both sides - I think are rushing to judgement.

And I'm not sure Cordova has had or will have his chance to speak his piece publicly so I'd caution anyone to think they know and have heard it all. My point being, there are two sides to this story, maybe three if you include the school district, and only one is really being told right now. Lake Travis and Cordova aren't saying anything, one is probably not going to say anything because a lawyer said not to and the other because it's a student matter and they are not able to speak publicly on it.

None of this absolves Cordova, far be it. But it's food for thought for those who are quick to condemn without more information.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

The kids are the ones that know what’s up on this.

Hey Coach,

This is kind of what I'm getting at.

For instance, Texas does not have a single player on its roster from Lake Travis, not even a walk-on according to the latest roster. I think the players are being swayed by the interview the mom gave, not anything they know first hand.

Or maybe they are, and I'm just off base completely.

It just seems to me that Cordova is being painted as this horrible guy and he hasn't said a single word.

And in fact, the only thing we actually have as fact is that the school didn't see this as something that was worth kicking him off the team or out of school.

Privately, the coaches at Lake Travis do not feel Cordova is a bad kid either; they actually think he's a really good kid who made a bad decision, who turned himself in beforehand, tried to right his wrong ahead of time and has since done whatever has been asked of him and is a team leader.

Again, that doesn't make the initial action right or absolve him from consequences.

It's just interesting that this is so one-sided when Cordova and the school aren't saying anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, El Camaron Borracho said:

Would you include this kid in your circle of trust? If this is overlooked, then Sark is no better than Switzer or Jimbo. Undermines the whole culture thing 

Lake Travis coaches are doing so.

Again, why are people who are close to the situation (like Lake Travis, its teachers and faculty) reacting so differently than the media and people who are much farther away?

• Hook 'Em 2