Friday: Workout Notes (Trey Moore Truly Impressing)

Some behind the scenes notes from workouts...

On Texas Football has been told that three Texas players have been limited in off-season workouts:

- Tight end Amari Niblack

- Wide receiver Matthew Golden

- Defensive end Colton Vasek

Niblack is dealing with a foot injury. Like Niblack, Matthew Golden has also been in a boot for much of this off-season.

Vasek is dealing with an ankle injury.

None of the injuries are expected to keep players out long-term.

From an incoming transfer perspective, I am told one player has really stood out -- Trey Moore.

Moore, who recorded 14.5 sacks for UTSA last year, has worked at both SAM and Buck for the Horns in winter conditioning.

But it's not his versatility that has folks talking.

"He's a pro," a source told me. "He's in outstanding shape. He goes about his business (the right way). He has a real presence about him. It's almost Roschon (Johnson) like."

Moore is somewhat undersized for the position based on an NFL prototype, but "he's more athletic than you even see on tape. He's been even better than what I think we expected."

Of all the transfers, Moore has hit the ground running as well or better than any of them.

"He's a stud," the source said.

I also asked about the early returns of Arizona transfer defensive tackle Tioalli Savea. And it's positive.

"I think he's a better version of Trill Carter," the source said. "He's going to have a role."

Lots of freshman are impressing, and I'll go over those in a different post over the weekend. One to talk about today who continues to draw rave reviews is safety Xavier Filsaime.

What is there to like about him?

Beyond his speed and size combination, I'm told there's a little something extra.

"His demeanor is just really good," the source said. "He approaches things, he listens, he gets after. He's got the skill, there's no doubt about that. But when they're young like this, and they've got all of that (talent), and they're still getting after it mentally, that's when you say, 'ok, he might be a little something special here'."

We'll have team notes over the weekend. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 28

Great to hear that about Trey Moore. Being compared to Roschon? As Nic Cage would say, “High praise. High praise, indeed.”

I consume so much Texas info, it’s hard to remember where I heard/read it (maybe from Bobby/Gerry) but I seem to recall reading Moore has a pretty big chip on his shoulder from being under recruited, and he’s incredibly driven. Those are the dudes you want.

And no disrespect intended to Trill, but hearing Savea is an upgrade is no surprise.

We’re going to be really good.

• Hook 'Em 10

5 minutes ago, Ray Peters said:

Great to hear that about Trey Moore. Being compared to Roschon? As Nic Cage would say, “High praise. High praise, indeed.”

I consume so much Texas info, it’s hard to remember where I heard/read it (maybe from Bobby/Gerry) but I seem to recall reading Moore has a pretty big chip on his shoulder from being under recruited, and he’s incredibly driven. Those are the dudes you want.

And no disrespect intended to Trill, but hearing Savea is an upgrade is no surprise.

I remember reading somewhere about Trey Moore's character and his academic achievements.  I see he was offered by Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, etc.  Was he planning to go to Stanford or am I imagining that?  I always like really smart players.

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Ray Peters said:

We really are. 

It wasn't that long ago that we entered spring practice like "Um I wonder if we can find five passable dudes to put on the OL...."

Now our biggest issues are.... well I'm not sure we have any big issues. "Will Collins, Broughton, Savea, Mitchell, Bledsoe, and Bryant be good enough at DT or will we bring in another dude after the spring?"

• Hook 'Em 2

Really great news on Moore. If he could replicate even half the sack numbers he had at UTSA that'd be fantastic opposite Ethan Burke. I have high hopes for him as well being a year older and stronger going into his third year. If Sorrell plays solid AND Collin Simmons is coming on as the season goes on, we should manifacture a much better pass rush this year.  And that would also help the secondary enourmously.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

Some behind the scenes notes from workouts...

On Texas Football has been told that three Texas players have been limited in off-season workouts:

- Tight end Amari Niblack

- Wide receiver Matthew Golden

- Defensive end Colton Vasek

Niblack is dealing with a foot injury. Like Niblack, Matthew Golden has also been in a boot for much of this off-season.

Vasek is dealing with an ankle injury.

None of the injuries are expected to keep players out long-term.

From an incoming transfer perspective, I am told one player has really stood out -- Trey Moore.

Moore, who recorded 14.5 sacks for UTSA last year, has worked at both SAM and Buck for the Horns in winter conditioning.

But it's not his versatility that has folks talking.

"He's a pro," a source told me. "He's in outstanding shape. He goes about his business (the right way). He has a real presence about him. It's almost Roschon (Johnson) like."

Moore is somewhat undersized for the position based on an NFL prototype, but "he's more athletic than you even see on tape. He's been even better than what I think we expected."

Of all the transfers, Moore has hit the ground running as well or better than any of them.

"He's a stud," the source said.

I also asked about the early returns of Arizona transfer defensive tackle Tioalli Savea. And it's positive.

"I think he's a better version of Trill Carter," the source said. "He's going to have a role."

Lots of freshman are impressing, and I'll go over those in a different post over the weekend. One to talk about today who continues to draw rave reviews is safety Xavier Filsaime.

What is there to like about him?

Beyond his speed and size combination, I'm told there's a little something extra.

"His demeanor is just really good," the source said. "He approaches things, he listens, he gets after. He's got the skill, there's no doubt about that. But when they're young like this, and they've got all of that (talent), and they're still getting after it mentally, that's when you say, 'ok, he might be a little something special here'."

We'll have team notes over the weekend. 

View full news

Nice

• Hook 'Em 1

Vasek’s injuries, while concerning, should not lead anyone to dismiss him or doom his career. There have been a number of players at UT (J Whitt and Jordan Shipley come to mind) whose early careers were beset by injuries and went on to have stellar careers (All American in the case of Shipley). As Gerry likes to say, all players are on different timelines. Some are due to injuries, problems with weight (either too much or not enough), and some need time to emotionally mature. Vasek’s HS tape was awesome and I believe once he puts these nagging injuries behind him, he will develop into a highly contributing player. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, TonyG said:

Really great news on Moore. If he could replicate even half the sack numbers he had at UTSA that'd be fantastic opposite Ethan Burke. I have high hopes for him as well being a year older and stronger going into his third year. If Sorrell plays solid AND Collin Simmons is coming on as the season goes on, we should manifacture a much better pass rush this year.  And that would also help the secondary enourmously.

Not talked about much, but I wonder what the staff will do at Edge. Burke has been the Buck, but according PFF, he was the best Edge vs the Run. He was behind Sorrell on Pressure rate (kind of surprising). They have 3 option known options to mess around with and SImmons as the wild card. Could see more Burke and Sorrell vs balanced teams. Perhaps a pass rushing package of Simmons and Moore. I think the baseline at EDGE will be fine, but finding the right combinations will be imperative to maxing this position out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, GoHorns1 said:

Ankle is much better than back issues 

It was the "now" that I said was not a good sign. I take that as similar to coming home and seeing your wife in a bad mood and saying "what did the boy do now?".  Vasek seems to be starting out on the JWhit plan, which is just tough on any player, and he hasnt even stepped on the field yet. 

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, codaxx said:

Not talked about much, but I wonder what the staff will do at Edge. Burke has been the Buck, but according PFF, he was the best Edge vs the Run. He was behind Sorrell on Pressure rate (kind of surprising). They have 3 option known options to mess around with and SImmons as the wild card. Could see more Burke and Sorrell vs balanced teams. Perhaps a pass rushing package of Simmons and Moore. I think the baseline at EDGE will be fine, but finding the right combinations will be imperative to maxing this position out. 

Think we'll see Burke at both Buck and Jack. It's fun to imagine third and long with Owens, Burke, Simmons, and Hill all on the field at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 2