What if Texas kept Tom Herman

Texas moved on from Tom Herman after the 2020 season with a combined record of 32-18. Notable accomplishments include and a Big 12 championship game appearance, four bowl wins, 2018 & 2019 3rd ranked recruiting classes. 

I think most people are aware of why Herman was let go but if Texas had retained Herman how do we think it would have played out?

How would he have handled NIL? 

His recruiting classes suffered substantial attrition. Would that trend of continued?

Would he have used the transfer portal to fix the holes in the roster or was the locker room too far gone?

Could he have repaired the relationships he needed to in order to be successful at Texas?

Are there any key recruits that would be favorably impacted? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, he was my least favorite HC. I didn't want to speak ill against someone or stir up drama. I was more curious about how much credit to assign to the current staff.

I know the job comes with a lot resources but it seems like those resources are being used more effectively then in past. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What else should we discuss for shiggles?

"The Bob Weltlich Era - Extended"

"Luke Axtell, Tom Penders - Marriage & Divorce"

"Takin' It Easy - The Post NC Mack Brown Era"

"66-3 - A Deep Dive"

"Gap'em - Four 2nd Saturdays In October - The OU Blowouts of the Mack Brown Era"

"January 1st, 1991 - A Cotton Bowl To Remember"

"The Charlie Strong Era In 47 Chapters" - this will include a 6 chapter review of a Shawn Watson's offense and the impact on the schedule

Man, so much fun material for us to hash out starting out with this thread's topic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

• Moderators
7 hours ago, jonbailey said:

Texas moved on from Tom Herman after the 2020 season with a combined record of 32-18. Notable accomplishments include and a Big 12 championship game appearance, four bowl wins, 2018 & 2019 3rd ranked recruiting classes. 

I think most people are aware of why Herman was let go but if Texas had retained Herman how do we think it would have played out?

How would he have handled NIL? 

His recruiting classes suffered substantial attrition. Would that trend of continued?

Would he have used the transfer portal to fix the holes in the roster or was the locker room too far gone?

Could he have repaired the relationships he needed to in order to be successful at Texas?

Are there any key recruits that would be favorably impacted? 

Massive failure on all accounts IMO

• Hook 'Em 1

I blame the guys that hired him. Remember we had a President that was clueless on athletics.Remember him jumping on the plane to help hire an OC for Strong omg . An interim AD that was by trade a lawyer and awesome UT ex but out of his element, and should have never been the AD that long. That set us back as well, not his fault. So no alignment like we have now.

We all know how it would have ended pretty much. So lucky to have Elife, CDC, Hartzell, and Sark now. I don't even wanna think how behind we would be if we kept him much longer. There are reasons no big time teams tried to hire him then , or now I'll just leave it at that. The stories are out there .

You guys missed the mark on this one.  Herman was a member of Mensa >130 IQ. The average global IQ is 100. Two people whose IQ points are wider than 20 or 30 points will likely have communication problems as most effective human interactions happen within the 30-point communication range. Thus, all friendships, companionship, employment, hobbies, human relations with high school coaches, marriages etc. Consequently, when the intelligence difference between two people exceeds 30 points, communication will likely break up. The lower IQ person would not be able to fully understand the more intelligent person and vise versa. The low IQ individual would therefore perceive the higher IQ person as complex, unfathomable and, in bitter cases, a WEIRDO. The higher IQ person would not understand why someone would not understand their coherent and reasonable viewpoint. They see their standpoint as logical and justifiable, and would likely perceive the lower IQ person as a total Tom dullard.

And the tragedy continues. Individuals with an IQ of 160 will go along with people in the 130 to 190 IQ range. This people’s world is basically limited to  just 2% of the whole population. As a result, it is hard to establish meaningful relationships, fitting into society and even getting a spouse or a meaningful relationship with Texas High School coaches.

People with extremely high IQ (145+) are likely to be perceived weirdos or Tom freaks by lower IQ but higher EQ people. They are not very effective in almost all human interaction. Also, they are likely to be extremely lonely. However, this loneliness might be mitigated by finding a passion in something. Many high IQ individuals become successful academics. A very high intelligent individual without meaningful work can have a lot of mental health issues.

See, it’s not Tom’s fault, he was just too intelligent for us to follow along in his greatness.
  • Haha 2

I think 2021 was going to be a rough year due to the 2019 class falling apart, new Qb, lack of talent & depth on the OL, holes at linebacker, and a deep but not elite WR room.

Worthy, who was a late addition by Sark had 981 yards and 12 TDs. The second leading WR was J-Witt with 377 yards and 3 TD. Bijan was the third leading receiver. Without Worthy, its likely Texas would have had an even worse season under Herman.

Herman would have been fired after a losing season with the program trending negatively and Texas would have been looking for a coach durring arguably the craziest coaching carousel ever. No shot for Riley, Venables, Kelly and Sark. Leaving Cristobal, Napier, or who knows.

Glad we have Sark