Mel Kiper 1st NFL Mock Draft

I saw Daniel Jeremiah had Murphy at 11 to Minn. in his mock last week.  Since then I've seen Murphy in most 1st round mocks until this one by Mel.  Been seeing AD/X go in 2nd round mocks.  Doesn't mean much, really, b/c NO ONE had Det. taking Gibbs that early last year.  If a team falls in love with a player in a need position they'll grab him regardless of what pundits think.  I enjoy all the mocks for what they are.  I'm glad people put their opinions out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Han Soul Hole said:

I saw Daniel Jeremiah had Murphy at 11 to Minn. in his mock last week.  Since then I've seen Murphy in most 1st round mocks until this one by Mel.  Been seeing AD/X go in 2nd round mocks.  Doesn't mean much, really, b/c NO ONE had Det. taking Gibbs that early last year.  If a team falls in love with a player in a need position they'll grab him regardless of what pundits think.  I enjoy all the mocks for what they are.  I'm glad people put their opinions out there.

X is the guy that could go early. Some will focus on the warts in his game, but I could see someone falling in love with his quickness and long speed. MItchell was great for Texas, but most DCs game plans centered around X when they played Texas. X brings a skill set with him to the NFL that few have. 

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, codaxx said:

X is the guy that could go early. Some will focus on the warts in his game, but I could see someone falling in love with his quickness and long speed. MItchell was great for Texas, but most DCs game plans centered around X when they played Texas. X brings a skill set with him to the NFL that few have. 

After his freshman year, I thought he'd develop into a bonafide 1st rounder, thinking he could develop into a Tyreek Hill-esque player. But I don't think X really developed the physicality needed to be drafted 1st round. 

Don't get me wrong, with the ball in his hands, he can get YAC with physicality. But I'm not sure he's physical enough catching the ball and using his body to box out DB's. 

After watching the Dolphins a bunch this year, Tyreek impressed me with this physicality. He makes a ton of contested catches and runs a bunch of crossing routes, in addition to the bubble screens and deep posts/corners. 

Not trying to say X needs to be Tyreek to be drafted round 1, just saying I feel like there's a chance the lack of production across the middle of the field and lack of contested catches might get him dinged in the eyes of scouts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scott Luedecke said:

After his freshman year, I thought he'd develop into a bonafide 1st rounder, thinking he could develop into a Tyreek Hill-esque player. But I don't think X really developed the physicality needed to be drafted 1st round. 

Don't get me wrong, with the ball in his hands, he can get YAC with physicality. But I'm not sure he's physical enough catching the ball and using his body to box out DB's. 

After watching the Dolphins a bunch this year, Tyreek impressed me with this physicality. He makes a ton of contested catches and runs a bunch of crossing routes, in addition to the bubble screens and deep posts/corners. 

Not trying to say X needs to be Tyreek to be drafted round 1, just saying I feel like there's a chance the lack of production across the middle of the field and lack of contested catches might get him dinged in the eyes of scouts. 

The thing that has re-entered the discussion now that Tyreek actually helped usher in is a somewhat renewed emphasis on elite speed by NFL teams.

The Dolphins are a really big piece of that with Hill, Waddle, Achane and Mostert.

And X has elite speed.

Personally, I agree with you. I don't think he's a first rounder because I don't think he tracks the ball well enough downfield. But I don't see him getting past the second round because his speed is as legit as they come.

44 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

The thing that has re-entered the discussion now that Tyreek actually helped usher in is a somewhat renewed emphasis on elite speed by NFL teams.

The Dolphins are a really big piece of that with Hill, Waddle, Achane and Mostert.

And X has elite speed.

Personally, I agree with you. I don't think he's a first rounder because I don't think he tracks the ball well enough downfield. But I don't see him getting past the second round because his speed is as legit as they come.

The Dolphins were fun to watch this year. Mike McDaniel & co has done a nice job collecting speed throughout that roster, specifically on offense. And, more importantly, effectively utilizing that speed to create an abundance of explosive plays. I think they were 2nd only to the 49ers in creating explosive plays through the air and led the league in explosives on the ground. 

Re: X... I agree that he won't slip past round 2, unless he completely underwhelms on his 40 and agility drills. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Chewie said:

@Bobby Burton @Blake Munroe @CJ Vogel  What do we realistically expect Mitchell to run in the 40 at his pro? I feel like that’s gonna be the determining factor on whether or not he’s a first round pick.

4.5 is my bet.

It is very possible Mitchell is the sixth WR off the board and still finds himself going round one. It's that deep of a WR group this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

Mock drafts are fun discussion.

Hope 4-5 Horns go in the first 2-3 rounds. 

I don’t think there’s any hoping to that unless they just have a disaster of a combine. That’s a sure fire bet, imo.

My question is where does Brooks go? Does someone take a chance and go earlier than expected? Or does he fall and fall due to ACL?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

This is how I see it as well. His speed, quickness and also special teams versatility alone will ensure early success. Whether he is able to improve his strength and tracking ability will determine his long term success.

• Hook 'Em 1