College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

1 hour ago, GQ03 said:

Hunter and Mitchell still could return if they wanted.

Johnson is interesting because I think there's a really good college player in there somewhere. Put another way, if Chris Johnson was at UH I'd be relatively sure that in 2-3 years he'd be an all-conference/All-American type player similar to how Shead is now. I just wonder if he'd be willing to completely buy in and run his own race.

What are your thoughts on Hunter and Mitchell? I personally think they should move on. I don’t see us getting anyone in the portal that will be anywhere near high end with these two still on campus. 

I hope Johnson sees the big picture. He’s already bounced from KU so this would be his 3rd program in less than 2 years. 

Edited by CoachBobbyFinstock

4 hours ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

What are your thoughts on Hunter and Mitchell? I personally think they should move on. I don’t see us getting anyone in the portal that will be anywhere near high end with these two still on campus. 

I hope Johnson sees the big picture. He’s already bounced from KU so this would be his 3rd program in less than 2 years. 

Agree completely although I'd be less disappointed with the return of Mitchell but Hunter has been the biggest issue this season imo. 

Johnson never enrolled at KU and was just committed there but I understand your point. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

I really think Texas needs to move on from both. I like Dillon Mitchell as a down the line quality role player as a pro ... But Texas needs college wings (Devon Pryor a key next year), and more stretch bigs at PF. 

Problem with Mitchell returning is it would be more about wing development than anything, and that's just not his fit in the college game IMO. And that will limit what Texas can be offensively with Tre Johnson, Cam Scott and Devon Pryor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas is getting a lot of calls, but it NCAA Tournament focused until the season is over. 

I expect the key names in the portal will hit once the seasons are officially over. 

I don’t believe you lol. Jk boss

• Haha 1

Re: Chris Johnson. 

In hindsight, I think RT's only true misstep this season was not using CJ aggressively in the pre-conference.  Chris, by now, could have become a suitable sub for Hunter during Hunter's zero offensive games.  Without a suitable sub for Hunter, Max becomes both the scorer and the primary distributor in too many games.

That is, unless I have completely overestimated Johnson's potential, and RT gave up on his development accordingly.

Foster is interesting. He was horrible BTA at under .300, but plays bigger than his size. Also, don't like he had more TOs than assists. Did have a nice game last year against Virginia in their 1st round upset.

Edited by Neil Leininger

On 3/14/2024 at 9:50 AM, GQ03 said:

This is where I feel folks are complaining just to complain. The team has looked much better on offense under RT than they ever did under Beard, Smart or Barnes sans the DJ Augustin years. Last year's team got better offensively as the year went on.

Where RT's teams have fallen off a little bit is on the defensive end. Barnes & Beard were compulsive about defense and rebounding to a degree that I don't know that RT is. Guys seem to play more free and less robotic under RT and look over their shoulders less but the defensive intensity isn't as consistent. You get some glimpses like the 1st half of the KSU game or the OU games or even the Tech game at Lubbock but the consistency is lacking imo.

This is where I feel I'm talking to a brick wall. Offense and defense are complimentary, more so in basketball than football. Let's see, Beard built a top 5 team, Terry has about about the 50th best team. What are we talking about? Gerry can make all the excuses he wants. Doesn't change anything.

Edited by harveycmd

1 hour ago, harveycmd said:

This is where I feel I'm talking to a brick wall. Offense and defense are complimentary, more so in basketball than football. Let's see, Beard built a top 5 team, Terry has about about the 50th best team. What are we talking about? Gerry can make all the excuses he wants. Doesn't change anything.

You are the brick wall.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, harveycmd said:

I'm not making excuses guy. Texas is a very good offensive team. That's what I said, and it's true.

What you are saying is totally different. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Totally different players. Pryor is a college wing all the way. Not a guy you will play at the four

Pryor has a college wing perimeter game at 6-7

Small sample but just watching them warm up you can see how much more comfortable Pryor is on the perimeter plus you can see how much better of a shooter he is.

https://twitter.com/LonghornsFN/status/1721669247594635414?t=gN9BuuoM2AQvvya-1awnwg&s=19

• Hook 'Em 1