Texas baseball falls again to Washington

Texas will lose the home series against the now 6-7-1 Huskies with the #280 hitting team out of 295 in the country. 

Texas is 0-5 against P5 teams outside the Big 12.

Texas has losses against SEC teams LSU, Vandy and A$M. This doesn’t include Tennessee, Ole Miss, Florida, Miss St, and Arkansas. 

At this point I don’t care what we do the rest of the Big 12 season because it’s a trash league to where we are going. The only team that “appears” to be good is TCU. Maybe Oklahoma St proves to be decent. Texas Tech shouldn’t be ranked. Beaten no one and has 8 wins against Texas Southern, Gardner Webb and New Mexico St. 

Next year is going to bring a very rude awakening.

I have rarely if ever said this but CDC will have a decision on his hands. 

Edited by CoachBobbyFinstock
  • Hook 'Em 2

This has to be the nadir of Texas baseball as we have known it. There is not real talent on the roster short of maybe Powell, and LBJ. Recruitment and player development have hit close to all time lows. Pierce has had plenty of latitude to captain the ship of one of the historically premier baseball programs in the country, he has ran the ship out of fuel and stranded it on a sandbar at low tide. It's time for a change at the top.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Sad 1

In this era, Texas should be lagging no one on the diamond. Outside of LSU/Marucci NIL, no one is way out ahead of Texas on NIL. Being in year 6 or 7 and being this weak with holes everywhere is inexcusable. 

Texas Baseball should be one of the high-flyers in the sport right now. Texas should be a perennial top 5 program. This is pathetic.

Don’t look now but the 2nd and 3rd most significant programs on campus are trending towards dumpster fires. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Don’t look now but the 2nd and 3rd most significant programs on campus are trending towards dumpster fires. 

Next year is a big year for RT. He better get his recruiting class to campus and hit the portal. However, hoops isn’t as tough in the SEC. It will be good but not the Big 12.

Total opposite in baseball. Texas would be at best the 8th best team. That should never happen to Texas baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dentonhorn said:

Worst combination of men’s basketball and baseball coaches in my lifetime. Maybe Gustafason and Leon Black except Gus was so great. No, this is the worst.

Isn’t the basketball team in the tournament?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I saw a team today that is clearly rough around the edges come together and grit out a win against a decent Washington team. Pitching wasn’t the issue today but defense was with 4 errors. Defense can be fixed a lot easier than pitching though. Good to see the arms doing better. Kuddos to Grubbs with a solid outing. Hate to think where this team would be without Peyton Powell! Dude is money. 

• Moderators

I don’t even know where to begin. There’s so many issues that rear their head each and every weekend. It’s not good. At all. 

And I don’t think it’s something that can be corrected mid-season, unfortunately. Be ready for a roller coaster of a season, with a lot of lows. A LOT.

My faith in this season is pretty much out the window. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Blake Munroe said:

I don’t even know where to begin. There’s so many issues that rear their head each and every weekend. It’s not good. At all. 

And I don’t think it’s something that can be corrected mid-season, unfortunately. Be ready for a roller coaster of a season, with a lot of lows. A LOT.

My faith in this season is pretty much out the window. 

Yeah there’s a lot of issues like you said.  Coach Pierce is struggling at least from my view with some key decisions. For example it’s obvious to most catcher is an issue. If Galvan has an injured hand that’s keeping him from catching why is he still batting? 

My wife, who is not a big sports fan but does like baseball even made the comment that the players aren’t being developed. 

I’m not ready to throw in the towel on the season yet. I think this team has the talent to get better. I agree it’s not going to be a 180 degree turnaround but at this point improvement is about all we can hope for .

20 hours ago, Neil Leininger said:

The basketball team is in the Top 25 in every metric used to determine the strength of a team. It's not a dumpster fire.

No one called it a dumpster fire. 

That said, if you’ve watched this team this season and thought “yeah, man, this program is headed in the right direction”, go ahead and say it. 

After Texas is unceremoniously disposed of this weekend, Terry faces almost a complete rebuild. He’ll be highly dependent upon his incoming recruits, hoping that Mitchell comes back again and gets better, and portal wizardry. Maybe that all works out, but this season and Terry’s history doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence. 

On 3/16/2024 at 7:03 PM, closetojumping said:

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No one called it a dumpster fire. 

You literally said "dumbster fire".

He also had a complete rebuild from the EE team, and brought in a Top 10 portal class along with a Top 10 HS class this season. Terry can recruit and the players are developing Disu, Hunter, and Mitchell are all shooting better this year than previous seasons.

Unceremoniously disposed, they are a 7 seed they aren't supposed to make it to the 2nd weekend.

Edited by Neil Leininger
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

You literally said "dumbster fire".

He also had a complete rebuild from the EE team, and brought in a Top 10 portal class along with a Top 10 HS class this season. Terry can recruit and the players are developing Disu, Hunter, and Mitchell are all shooting better this year than previous seasons.

Unceremoniously disposed, they are a 7 seed they aren't supposed to make it to the 2nd weekend.

Do you understand context at all? You’ve been on the boards for 20+ years. Christ. I “literally” didn’t call the team a dumpster fire. I said the program is trending there. A grown man with a keyboard should have a clue as to how those are different and understand why. 

The rest is hopefulness on your end more than anything. This team has been poorly coached at times and the guy in charge fundamentally embarrassed everyone with his meltdown after UCF. 

On 3/16/2024 at 11:08 PM, dentonhorn said:

Yeah , how many teams,  64? If that is the standard we have lost our way. 

Since 1950, Texas mens basketball has 1 Final Four appearance and 5 Elite Eight appearances.  

Relative to program history, Terry is doing just fine. The season Pierce is having in baseball isnt remotely comparable

9 hours ago, goathumper said:

Since 1950, Texas mens basketball has 1 Final Four appearance and 5 Elite Eight appearances.  

Relative to program history, Terry is doing just fine. The season Pierce is having in baseball isnt remotely comparable

Of course you have to think being average is fine to think Terry is doing fine. Personally I think we have more potential as a program. Baseball, we have never fired a baseball coach that I can think of. Never say never though they say.

2 hours ago, dentonhorn said:

Of course you have to think being average is fine to think Terry is doing fine. Personally I think we have more potential as a program. Baseball, we have never fired a baseball coach that I can think of. Never say never though they say.

There is nothing average about being a top 30 program in college basketball, in a rebuilding season. Many people don't realize the mess that Beard left in terms of returning talent and his poor roster management. Beard was looking at a full rebuild in year 3 of his tenure, that is just abysmal roster management.

Edited by Neil Leininger