6 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

Bobby if Anthony Hill was moved to the middle backer spot, would that help maybe offset the “?” Up the middle?

Not Bobby, but I would say no. He was actually rated behind Gbenda and Ford by PFF.. More importantly if your DTs can not hold the LOS, your ILBs are going to struggle. Texas LBs played in one of the most friendly environments in all of CFB last year. You had 2 DTs that demanded double teams and rarely gave an inch. It was hard for OL to climb to the LBs  with Sweat and Murphy in front of them. They were kept very clean. I dont care how good a LB is, he is going to struggle if the DTs are getting pushed back into him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Hill's biggest improvement in 2024 needs to be his run fits. There were instances of not diagnosing plays quick enough or being overly aggressive. His versatility off the edge and in other parts of the defense is something that also prevents me from wanting to move him to MIKE. 

6 hours ago, NETexEx93 said:

Hoping for a Sweat type light switch moment from Sydir......not sure what the disconnect has been but maybe he will rise to the occasion.

He was a true freshman last year , and while he came in at 340, it wasn’t all necessarily “good” weight. He’s had to reshape his body. Also, DL is not like a receiver or running back. It takes much more time to develop. We waited four years until we saw sweat do what he did this past season

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rhenk6768 said:

He was a true freshman last year , and while he came in at 340, it wasn’t all necessarily “good” weight. He’s had to reshape his body. Also, DL is not like a receiver or running back. It takes much more time to develop. We waited four years until we saw sweat do what he did this past season

This is exactly the concern IMO. 

On 1/26/2024 at 4:28 PM, NETexEx93 said:

Hoping for a Sweat type light switch moment from Sydir......not sure what the disconnect has been but maybe he will rise to the occasion.

Well, I'm not sure it's a disconnect, more the fact he was only a Fr...I think we'll see a big jump from him in 2024, we heard good things about him towards the end of the year. If the effort is there on his part, he'll play a major role in Texas interior play this year.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/26/2024 at 10:54 PM, Rhenk6768 said:

You put it much better than I could. Being big is fine, but if it's not good weight, it'll work against you. Especially in a game of football. I think he'll come good. Playing on line (either side) is not easy to do coming out of HS. Typically it's not a plug and play position or at least you prefer it to not be.

I think Texas has made great strides at the OL for that, now we need to see it for the DL.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/25/2024 at 11:28 PM, NETexEx93 said:

What disconnect?  He was a true freshman.

• Hook 'Em 2