Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted

I wanted to go through a rabbit hole here about the propensity for the Oklahoma defense and special teams to score points in the Venables era.

Obviously, any time your defense or special teams is able to add points to the board, your chances to win the football game greatly increase. I don't think that is breaking news in the slightest.

Some teams do it more than others. And to me, Oklahoma has been one of the best in the country during his tenure when it comes to non-offensive scoring.

So, I went through each game in the Venables era, dating back to week one in 2022 where I found 17 games in which the Sooners added points to their scoreboard without an offensive touchdown or field goal being the reason.

First off, 17 non-offensive scores in a 56 game span is a remarkable rate. That is special stuff. That's 30.3% of games played seeing some sort of non-offensive score.

But here are the numbers:

  • 2 punt return touchdowns
  • 4 scoop & scores
  • 5 safeties
  • 7 pick sixes

Here is the real reason why I wanted to go down this rabbit hole.

In a game like the Red River Shootout where the emotions of the game are as high as they are and the momentum swings can feel like euphoria then the closest thing to your dog dying in the matter of seconds, non-offensive touchdowns are a huge reason for the game.

Taking care of the football is paramount.

Since Venables took over as head coach at OU:

  • Oklahoma is 15–2 in games they have a non-offensive score
  • Oklahoma is 19–20 in games they do not have a non-offensive score

***

As for Texas.

Since 2021, the Longhorns are 52–20 in the Sarkisian era.

  • Texas is 16–2 in games they have a non-offensive score
  • Texas is 36–18 in games they do not have a non-offensive score

Texas records a non-offensive score in 25% of their contests by my math.

  • 1 kickoff return TD
  • 2 safeties
  • 3 scoop & scores
  • 6 pick sixes
  • 6 punt return TD

***

I write all of this to say, if Texas is able to shutout the Oklahoma defense and special teams from bizarre scoring opportunities, they will win this football game on Saturday.

The only path to victory I see for the Sooners is through non-offensive scores.

  • Hook 'Em 11
Posted
21 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

I wanted to go through a rabbit hole here about the propensity for the Oklahoma defense and special teams to score points in the Venables era.

Obviously, any time your defense or special teams is able to add points to the board, your chances to win the football game greatly increase. I don't think that is breaking news in the slightest.

Some teams do it more than others. And to me, Oklahoma has been one of the best in the country during his tenure when it comes to non-offensive scoring.

So, I went through each game in the Venables era, dating back to week one in 2022 where I found 17 games in which the Sooners added points to their scoreboard without an offensive touchdown or field goal being the reason.

First off, 17 non-offensive scores in a 56 game span is a remarkable rate. That is special stuff. That's 30.3% of games played seeing some sort of non-offensive score.

But here are the numbers:

  • 2 punt return touchdowns
  • 4 scoop & scores
  • 5 safeties
  • 7 pick sixes

Here is the real reason why I wanted to go down this rabbit hole.

In a game like the Red River Shootout where the emotions of the game are as high as they are and the momentum swings can feel like euphoria then the closest thing to your dog dying in the matter of seconds, non-offensive touchdowns are a huge reason for the game.

Taking care of the football is paramount.

Since Venables took over as head coach at OU:

  • Oklahoma is 15–2 in games they have a non-offensive score
  • Oklahoma is 19–20 in games they do not have a non-offensive score

***

As for Texas.

Since 2021, the Longhorns are 52–20 in the Sarkisian era.

  • Texas is 16–2 in games they have a non-offensive score
  • Texas is 36–18 in games they do not have a non-offensive score

Texas records a non-offensive score in 25% of their contests by my math.

  • 1 kickoff return TD
  • 2 safeties
  • 3 scoop & scores
  • 6 pick sixes
  • 6 punt return TD

***

I write all of this to say, if Texas is able to shutout the Oklahoma defense and special teams from bizarre scoring opportunities, they will win this football game on Saturday.

The only path to victory I see for the Sooners is through non-offensive scores.

Great article - thanks!  I completely agree that non-offensive scores are OU’s only real shot - if Mateer does not turn the ball over.  Their anemic offense vs Muschamp’s defense is a complete mismatch.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted

I agree and that’s why I think it is important that we get the ball out of arch’s hands as quick as possible.  At least at the beginning, let’s take 4 or 5 yard passes and then later on we can try and stretch the field.

  • Hook 'Em 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.