TexasMDcoach Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago After years of faithful service, my most trusted piece of Texas equipment has officially let me down. It could not overcome a blocked punt for a TD, a pick six and repeated inept drives on a day our play calling failed me. I never thought I’d see the day. After years of unwavering loyalty, countless game days, and more than a few questionable decisions, my lucky Longhorn T-shirt finally failed me. I’m not talking about a little disappointment, either. I’m talking about a full-blown betrayal of biblical proportions for a guy who finds himself living in Oklahoma. That shirt and I had been through everything together. Big wins. Crushing losses. Last-second field goals. Questionable coaching decisions. It had absorbed enough sweat, spilled beverages, dripping hot sauces and nervous energy to qualify as an official University of Texas historical artifact. And through it all, I trusted it. I wore it on game days because, frankly, I had no choice. Somewhere along the way, I became convinced that my shirt possessed supernatural powers. When the Longhorns won, I credited the shirt. When they lost, I blamed myself for not wearing it early enough, washing it incorrectly, or possibly thinking a positive thought about the opposing team. I had rules. Never wear it before pregame. Never let anyone else touch it. Never wash it after a win. And absolutely, under no circumstances, replace it with a newer shirt. Newer shirts are unproven. They haven't earned their burnt-orange stripes. My wife thought I was ridiculous. She suggested that perhaps the players on the field had more influence over the outcome than a faded piece of cotton hanging in my closet. The order we all sit in the TV room could never be altered- could cost us the win. For years, the shirt has delivered. The Longhorns won, and I strutted around like I had personally drawn up the offensive scheme. The Longhorns lost, and I spent the next week explaining that the shirt had been compromised by circumstances beyond my control. Maybe I had sat in the wrong chair. Maybe I had eaten the wrong snack. Maybe the television needed to be turned off and back on. There was always a reasonable explanation, and it was never the shirt's fault. Until now. On the fateful Saturday, I followed my usual routine. I put on the shirt, settled into my favorite spot, stocked up on game-day provisions, and prepared to witness another glorious chapter in Longhorn history. I was too confident. The shirt felt right. The burnt orange was still visible beneath years of wear. The fabric had softened to the consistency of an old dish towel, but that was a good sign. It meant the magic had soaked in. Then the game started. Things went wrong almost immediately. A bad penalty. A missed opportunity. A play call that made me question whether anyone on the coaching staff had ever watched football before. I looked down at my shirt. Nothing. No warmth. No reassuring tingle. Not even a tiny supernatural nudge. Despite me tugging at the collar. I straightened the hem. I even patted the steer-head logo, as though checking whether it was still conscious. I even took off my shoes to see if that would change the momentum but the Longhorns continued to struggle. Finally, I confronted the only logical conclusion. After years of loyal service, this shirt had apparently decided it was tired of carrying an entire football program on its shoulders. No more prime closet space for that baby. To the old T-shirt drawer it now goes. Soon it is on to a new, brighter, cleaner, and completely untested shirt . I plan to wear it next Saturday with cautious optimism and the kind of blind faith that has gotten me into trouble before. Will it bring the Longhorns good luck? Who knows? So I guess in the meantime out team is going to have to learn from this loss and rally to be their best so they never have to have the apron they felt yesterday. I believe this and perhaps a new shirt can get it done. (But if it doesn't, I'm keeping the receipt). Hook 'em Horns! And to my old lucky shirt: Thanks for the memories, you cotton-clad fraud. 1 Quote
Ambassador of Texas Posted 4 hours ago Posted 4 hours ago Finally, a sensible explanation of WTF just happened! 🤘🏻 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.