Michigan Moderators update on *Portal*

Last night the Michigan 24/7they noted that if Moore is hired it shouldn't open any floodgates like you saw at Alabama, but in the same breath noted that Michigan's biggest problem now is to heading off the "tampering/poaching/inducing ... going on right now." It doesn't sounds like the UM collective is very large, and although they saved some money when JJ did not return, they may not have enough to keep everyone happy. 

I hope Texas is one of the teams putting the pressure on (legally)...,

Now is the time to donate to the Texas One Fund to help finalize Texas' roster next season

• Hook 'Em 6

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I'd be curious to see the # of portal players during the 30-day window for the various schools and track how that plays out over the next year or two. I wonder if there would be any noticeable differences between schools where coaches were fired, retired, left for a better gig... as well as the differences if they hired from within (Michigan) or brought in a new guy. 

I'm too lazy to track it myself, but if one the mods is up to the challenge...!?

If promoting from within / having a succession plan proves to make a noticeable difference in roster retention, I wonder if that would influence the strategy for AD's moving forward. 

My assumption is finding the right guy is more important than keeping a few extra players, but if a team has a full cupboard and has a capable guy on staff...?

For instance, if Washington loses a bunch of folks, would promoting Grubb been a better option? If Saban knew he was going to retire in a couple years (I don't think he did, but for s&g's), would they have tried to keep Sark and give him $3.5mil as an unofficial HIW?

• Hook 'Em 2

There's nothing illegal about agents talking to agents.  Really tired of aggies and other SEC team whining about the transfer portal and NIL.  You cheated for 30 years and have lost your edge because everyone is now on a same playing field...  Plus aggy, Auburn, Florida are still paying money bags under the table... 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Derek Handler said:

There's nothing illegal about agents talking to agents.  Really tired of aggies and other SEC team whining about the transfer portal and NIL.  You cheated for 30 years and have lost your edge because everyone is now on a same playing field...  Plus aggy, Auburn, Florida are still paying money bags under the table... 

Sure they do… Haters gonna hate.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Derek Handler said:

Lots of truth in here. The SEC has never been pure as the driven snow. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The possibilities of tampering and leveraging guys into the portal have diminished with them tabbing Moore quickly. Sure was a lot of talk about “what if” when Harbaugh leaves, turns out that was nothing but pure conjecture and fandom wishes. 

Edited by TexasLonghorns
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, TexasLonghorns said:

The possibilities of tampering and leveraging guys into the portal have diminished with them tabbing Moore quickly. Sure was a lot of talk about “what if” when Harbaugh leaves, turns out that was nothing but pure conjecture and fandom wishes. 

April 15th is the next portal window barring something unforeseen. Or some attrition from Michigan that has not happened yet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

April 15th is the next portal window barring something unforeseen. Or some attrition from Michigan that has not happened yet. 

Shocked they haven’t lost a single player myself. Maybe a combo of the timing and culture/being assertive with promoting Moore. If the on field results weren’t an indicator of the culture Harbaugh built, this certainly is, very impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Don't know how many may leave with Moore being announced this fast. But as far as any D Tackles from there or anywhere the question becomes do they trust Baker if he is the eventual D Line Coach? 

Again want to be fair, and haven't seen it officially announced. But you better believe opponents will use that against us, his rather short resume. No way to spin it . I know there had to be more choices out there with more skins on the wall so to speak. But if that is what Sark wanted then gotta trust him. But if this goes South, that could be really bad with the need for that position in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, TTown said:

Don't know how many may leave with Moore being announced this fast. But as far as any D Tackles from there or anywhere the question becomes do they trust Baker if he is the eventual D Line Coach? 

Again want to be fair, and haven't seen it officially announced. But you better believe opponents will use that against us, his rather short resume. No way to spin it . I know there had to be more choices out there with more skins on the wall so to speak. But if that is what Sark wanted then gotta trust him. But if this goes South, that could be really bad with the need for that position in the SEC.

He’s coached for 10+ years at every level culminating in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, horns96 said:

He’s coached for 10+ years at every level culminating in the NFL.

Yes I know. But just being realistic compared to other more established  coaches at that position. Not saying he may not be a good hire. I guess the question becomes is he the best hire for us at this time. I am willing to wait and see, but I think it is a fair question that many are thinking to be honest.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Shocked they haven’t lost a single player myself. Maybe a combo of the timing and culture/being assertive with promoting Moore. If the on field results weren’t an indicator of the culture Harbaugh built, this certainly is, very impressive. 

I think it is a bit everything. Big 10 suspended Harbaugh during their flight to Happy Valley. I think that galvanized the team. They made it into an us (Michigan) against the world. Every Michigan player, student, and alum was sending out BET on social media. That is different than a place like Bama, where the identity became the head coach.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, TTown said:

Agree. How well Texas and Baker debunk that narrative will ultimately tell the story. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Realist Horn said:

Last night the Michigan 24/7they noted that if Moore is hired it shouldn't open any floodgates like you saw at Alabama, but in the same breath noted that Michigan's biggest problem now is to heading off the "tampering/poaching/inducing ... going on right now." It doesn't sounds like the UM collective is very large, and although they saved some money when JJ did not return, they may not have enough to keep everyone happy. 

I hope Texas is one of the teams putting the pressure on (legally)...,

Now is the time to donate to the Texas One Fund to help finalize Texas' roster next season

I could see some defensive losses for them, apart from those headed to the NFL. Harbaugh is reportedly taking some of his staff with him, noted was the DC and I'd assume some more defensive guys. Maybe some offensive. If so, that could push some defensive guys to the portal. 

Not sure we really need anything besides 1 interior guy. Even then, I feel good about our interior, but another guy wouldn't hurt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TTown said:

Not sure it can be used against him, when one of the best defensive coordinators in the league, Fangino, wanted him on his staff and he's been coaching the DL at various spots for 10 or so years now. I do understand your concern though, but negative recruiting is going to happen regardless of who is coaching/recruiting at the position. It's the nature of the business. 

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, AusMOJO said:

Not sure it can be used against him, when one of the best defensive coordinators in the league, Fangino, wanted him on his staff and he's been coaching the DL at various spots for 10 or so years now. I do understand your concern though, but negative recruiting is going to happen regardless of who is coaching/recruiting at the position. It's the nature of the business. 

I’ve heard Minter for sure, sounds like there may be a fight over Strength and Conditioning guy who the players reportedly love. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeHorn said:

Well now that the DC has announced he is moving on, do the cracks start to appear?

Depends which other assistant coaches join Harbaugh. If DL coach Mike Elston leaves then there could be some DL portals.

Edited by GoHorns1
  • Hook 'Em 1