Comparing Michael Terry to Lil' Jordan Humphrey

Curious to get thoughts from Gerry and Bobby.  I keep reading speculation about Terry's position as an ATH and most likely to play either TE or on Def, even though it's clear he wants to play on the offensive side of ball.  Oregon promising RB.  Nebraska offering at WR.  Texas and A&M offering at ATH.  Given his size, speed and highly productive record as RB and Receiver in HS (1500 combined yards and 20 TDs last year), curious who you'd compare Michael Terry to....

One comparable that came to mind for me was Lil' Jordan Humphrey.  LJH stats after junior year in HS weren't nearly as impressive as Terry.  Similar build.  LJH came into UT at 200 lbs and 6ft 5in.  He grew to 6ft 5in and 225lb by junior year.  Terry is similar at 6ft 3in and 217lb currently and far more productive in HS.  Clocked speeds for both of them would suggest that Terry is more athletic and much faster.  Realize Terry is bigger than the typical WRs at UT currently, but LJH caught over 80 passes and nearly 1200 yds his junior year for 3rd most of any WR in UT history and he was only a a 3-star ATH coming out of H.S.  

Could Michael Terry end up becoming a better, faster, more athletic version of LJH at Wide Receiver for UT?  Is LJH a good comparison or do you have someone else that is better as comparison?   

Hook Em!!

Edited by Bevo92
  • Hook 'Em 3

I think Humphrey had a bigger catch radius. I think Terry is a more sudden athlete who also has a nice catch radius, too.

Humphrey is a physical mismatch for smaller corners but can get eaten up by bigger ones. Terry is a bit different in that he's more well-rounded IMO.

• Hook 'Em 5

49 minutes ago, Robbin Antono said:

Good comparison IMO, although LJH was never listed as  6-5, I believe he was 6-2 or 6-3 

I never saw 6-5. Listed at 6-4. In actuality, LJH was officially 6-3 5/8 pre-draft.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, LTWOTIMES said:

Here was Terry's measurables at On3 Elite from early June:

ATH Michael Terry
Height: 6-foot-2.5
Weight: 211 pounds
Hand size: 9 inches
Arm length: 32.125 inches
Wing-span: 6-foot-7.5

Thank you for this info.

MT is not as tall as LJH but bigger and faster than HS LJH (LJH 210 college predraft weight and ran 4.75 40). LJH is now listed at 6-4 225 with the Denver Broncos.

• Hook 'Em 1

I see no reason why he couldn't play more than one position his first 2 years.  Too many players, and coaches, for that matter, think they have to pigeonhole every player into just one position.  I like guys who can affect the game and I think Terry would be fantastic at safety, LB, nickle, and slot on offense.  

JMO

• Hook 'Em 1

Michael Terry could be an awesome addition with the Horns as either a super athletic TE or as a complete mismatch at WR against smaller DBs.  Really hope we get him on board.  Everything I keep reading about him suggests he could be a huge addition on offense.   Hook Em'. 

As I was thinking about the LJH comparison, it's interesting to go back and see how Lil Jordan Humphrey was only a 3-star athlete coming out of HS yet he went on to have one of the best ever seasons for UT as a junior.  Defenses couldn't stop him.  He was too big at WR.  With as fast and big as Terry is, think he could be even more impactful.  Look forward to seeing how his recruiting path unfolds.  Hope it's with the horns!!

Hook Em!!  

• Hook 'Em 2

Michael Terry is a combo between Cordarelle Patterson RB, LJH WR, JT Sanders TE and a Superhero.

90 rushes for 806yds - 9ypr

31 catches for 436 yds and 7 TDs - 14ypc and almost 4-1 catch to TD ratio

2 KR TDs

MT may play at 6-3 225-245. He is capable of playing offense or defense. Let him play offense if he wants. Just get him to Texas. It should work out fine.

🏈 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Evan Andreolli said:

Not sure Terry makes sense if Texas lands Townsend. Then, it's a question of where he is on the board at safety.

Assuming we get Townsend next week, I hope we take MT at WR.  As a 5-star freak of an athlete, let the man come prove himself at WR and if a transition to defense is warranted after year 1, they can always have that as an option.  Bottom line is we need him in this class IMO.  Not enough high-end 5-stars in this years class.  Hope we find a way to make it work.  

• Hook 'Em 1