Williams and Jackson

With Williams committed, we now have two outstanding two sport athletes in he and Jackson committed. I don't remember this ever occurring on the 40 acres before outside of James Street and Keith Moreland. I'm not sure this has ever occurred before anywhere. Not 2 in the same recruiting class. Amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jack Lala said:

With Williams committed, we now have two outstanding two sport athletes in he and Jackson committed. I don't remember this ever occurring on the 40 acres before outside of James Street and Keith Moreland. I'm not sure this has ever occurred before anywhere. Not 2 in the same recruiting class. Amazing. 

FYI Randy Peschel was a CF on the baseball team.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm interested in how the staff manages their workloads. When does baseball practice trump football off-season work? How does Torre becton manage physical development?

There have been several recruitment where Texas not wanting two sport athletes has been mentioned as a reason they committed elsewhere.(Taylor Tatum) I think it was mentioned that Brenen Thompson had issues running track and plying football before transferring.

Maybe things have changed around the 40

Ricky Williams played pro baseball and college football at Texas. I don't know many who have done that, either. 

Donovan McNabb played college basketball and football at Syracuse. Tony Gonzalez played both at Cal. It takes a pretty high-level player to get the coaching staffs in two sports to accept it.

6 hours ago, cochamps said:

FYI Randy Peschel was a CF on the baseball team.  

He was also my Sunday school teacher. I was like eight years old and when he said his name I said "Hey you caught that pass in the Arkansas game!". 

Funny, that felt like ancient history at the time, but it had been 15 years. 15 years ago from now was 2009. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

He was also my Sunday school teacher. I was like eight years old and when he said his name I said "Hey you caught that pass in the Arkansas game!". 

Funny, that felt like ancient history at the time, but it had been 15 years. 15 years ago from now was 2009. 

Randy was my biology lab partner the One Year I was at Lanier.  Real nice guy with no jock airs at all.

Marquise Goodwin played football during the Mack Brown years and had a nice NFL career. He was a long jumper and in 2012 qualified for the Olympics with a jump that would have won Gold in the games had he been able to replicate it.

Someone mentioned Lam Jones, who won an Olympic Gold as part of a 4x100 m relay team.  He also ran in the 100 m and finished 6th, prompting Coach Royal to quip "Only five people in the world can outrun him and none of them play football." (Damn, just looked him up to get the facts straight and saw he died from cancer 5 years ago. I was at Texas when he played, time catches up to all of us).

• Hook 'Em 1