The SEC & Big Ten - NCAA is a Big ???

All other football conferences should take a step back because It looks like the SEC and Big Ten are joining together to lead from the front.

According to a report from Pete Thamel of ESPN, the two major conferences are planning to fund an advisory committee concerning the future of big-time college athletics.

The move is long overdue as the NCAA and its archaic structure continues to wilt under the pressure of a multitude of lawsuits, long-term mismanagement and rising public animosity against it. 

Is this the official first step of a new era of college sports, and college football in particular?

My educated guess is yes.

The NCAA's antiquated structure is unsalvageable, at least as it relates to big-time college football where the dollars reach into the billions. NCAA President Charlie Baker even perhaps agrees with that sentiment. Two months ago Baker penned a letter addressing the future of the NCAA and its membership. In it, he suggested that it's possible some larger football-playing schools may desire a different set of rules in the future, ones incongruent with and unable to be managed by the NCAA.

It looks like the SEC and Big Ten are ready to take Baker up on that suggestion.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

Could saban be an authority figure in this situation or too early to tell?

Even Saban needs a structure to operate within. Right now, the problem is the general structure of college football. Too many programs like Temple or Akron that are somehow in a similar category as Texas, Alabama and Ohio State. Those programs shouldn't be operating under the same categories - the revenue disparity is just too big.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

Could saban be an authority figure in this situation or too early to tell?

I hear this drumbeat constantly on the boards, ESPN, and XM 84. It blows my mind. 

Nick Saban leveraged a huge competitive advantage to achieve greatness. He had an amazing bag game infrastructure at Bama and had built one before that at LSU. There were 8-10 schools that operated within that closed game, as they were willing to cheat with impunity, and that led the majority of the national titles following the Texas title in 2005. 

The minute that structure was torn asunder by everyone suddenly being able to participate with paying players for NIL, and Saban realized that there was no more blood to squeeze from the stone from his alumni base or congress, he quit. 

Now people want that guy to oversee the future of college football? At 72? Nope. No thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 12
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been expecting the SEC/B1G to break away from the NCAA, at a minimum in Football, since it’s been apparent the NCAA is actually toothless. Which is to say, a helluva long time. The networks would jump at a deal to televise those games, and following the money is always the smart diagnostic approach.

And welcome to this board, CTJ, your insight and information is always appreciated.

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I hear this drumbeat constantly on the boards, ESPN, and XM 84. It blows my mind. 

Nick Saban leveraged a huge competitive advantage to achieve greatness. He had an amazing bag game infrastructure at Bama and had built one before that at LSU. There were 8-10 schools that operated within that closed game, as they were willing to cheat with impunity, and that led the majority of the national titles following the Texas title in 2005. 

The minute that structure was torn asunder by everyone suddenly being able to participate with paying players for NIL, and Saban realized that there was no more blood to squeeze from the stone from his alumni base or congress, he quit. 

Now people want that guy to oversee the future of college football? At 72? Nope. No thanks. 

The one thing Saban brings though is a level of credibility.

What none of us want to see is a lifetime bureaucrat or a non-football guy get the job. University presidents might give it to another university president for example.

So while I hear you specifically about Saban, and agree with you, I think it's that sort of idyll that people are glomming to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

What none of us want to see is a lifetime bureaucrat or a non-football guy get the job. University presidents might give it to another university president for example.

So while I hear you specifically about Saban, and agree with you, I think it's that sort of idyll that people are glomming to.

It'll be Jim Tressel and there's nothing any of us can do about it. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

You hit the nail on the head . It needs to be a football guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

That all makes sense and I'm in the same spot you are on it. I just recoil when Saban is floated, for reasons previously espoused. It's no big deal when a poster here brings it up, but they're talking seriously about it in the media football circles and that gives me anxiety. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

That all makes sense and I'm in the same spot you are on it. I just recoil when Saban is floated, for reasons previously espoused. It's no big deal when a poster here brings it up, but they're talking seriously about it in the media football circles and that gives me anxiety. 

I hear you. Saban's an easy target that most folks think could bring consensus IMO.

But I don't want whoever this hire is to bring consensus though. I want the leagues and teams to figure out what they want as structure and have the czar (for lack of a better term) operate within that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

I agree. While Saban would lend a great deal of credibility to any group an older coach, someone like Bill Snyder (if he is able) for example, would really send a message that this is an honest attempt. Pete Carroll, or any former college/pro football, would also be needed, IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Robert Gilbert said:

I agree. While Saban would lend a great deal of credibility to any group an older coach, someone like Bill Snyder (if he is able) for example, would really send a message that this is an honest attempt. Pete Carroll, or any former college/pro football, would also be needed, IMO. 

The issues are so complex. I understand the desire to have an elder statemen on the committee, most of them have little understanding of the current issues (and they are happy about that). I doubt they would be much more than a figure head.  I think it needs to be a non-affiliated enforcement agency that is well funded, because legal action should be expected. Neither the SEC nor the Big 10 want to look like they are trying to curb the rights of players and recruits. 

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bobby…I had to smile when you talked about the Rice Owls and asked CJ if he knew that they had at one time been a very good team. In 1954, I was 8 and still have a picture of me in a football uniform with number 47 on the jersey…Dicky Moegle was my idol! And, who could ever forget his game against Alabama in the Cotton Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Millard Nance said:

Bobby…I had to smile when you talked about the Rice Owls and asked CJ if he knew that they had at one time been a very good team. In 1954, I was 8 and still have a picture of me in a football uniform with number 47 on the jersey…Dicky Moegle was my idol! And, who could ever forget his game against Alabama in the Cotton Bowl.

My cousin played at Rice in the early 70s. And I'm a little bit of a CFB historian so I've read about Moegle and the Bama linebacker who literally came off the bench to tackle him in the Cotton Bowl!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Two future 24 team leagues set up similar to the NFL is probably on the table down the line IMO. 

As long as they continue to play G5 schools and keep the panorama that is college sports I'm good with this.

• Hook 'Em 1