Harold Perkins

harveycmd

• Moderators

I'm not sure one could label a player with 160 tackles, 13 sacks, 6 forced fumbles and 2 INT's in his career through 1/4 of way through junior season a bust. 

He's been a very productive player in college. If he stays healthy, he will leave college with 200+ tackles, 15+ sacks, and causes a lot of TO's for a LB/hybrid in a three season period of time.

IMO, he will go rip up testing at the combine, and be a highly drafted player - whether that is 2nd round, or shot at late 1st (due to testing and upside). 

• Hook 'Em 10

21 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I'm not sure one could label a player with 160 tackles, 13 sacks, 6 forced fumbles and 2 INT's in his career through 1/4 of way through junior season a bust. 

He's been a very productive player in college. If he stays healthy, he will leave college with 200+ tackles, 15+ sacks, and causes a lot of TO's for a LB/hybrid in a three season period of time.

IMO, he will go rip up testing at the combine, and be a highly drafted player - whether that is 2nd round, or shot at late 1st (due to testing and upside). 

What position will he play in the NFL?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

This is how I see it also. No way he's a bust. Frankly, LSU has struggled to figure out how to use him. I understand why...they have tried to pitch to him that learning to play traditional LB will boost his NFL stock. They are probably right, but it also means lots of growing pains and plenty of snaps where he's not a disrupting factor. It would probably be better for the program to have him rush the passer, create havoc in the backfield on most snaps, but it might be better for Harold in the long run to be forced to drop into coverage, read keys, and fill holes from a traditional LB spot. We'll see. Time will tell.

He’s somewhat analogous to Isaiah Simmons from Clemson a few years ago.  Simmons was a “hybrid” big Safety / OLB, and even played some ILB.  

Simmons was a defensive wrecking ball at Clemson but as a hybrid defender who basically didn’t fit a specific scheme / position / technique.  He was basically “see ball, blow s**t up”.  

And Simmons, as an elite athlete with great college productivity, tore up the NFL combine and got drafted into the top of the first round.  But once he landed in the NFL, he didn’t fit a fixed position and was cut by the Cardinals before getting to a second contract, and is now a back-up on the lowly Giants clinging to a roster spot.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

It is still rather humorous to be that we all saw how effective he was off the EDGE and LSU said, "Nope! to the middle you go!" and thus conversations like this arise.

They had to move him off the edge because when they ran at him he got pushed all the way to the sideline. That problem still exists when you play him in the middle, when he gets blocked he stays blocked. He lacks physicality no matter where he plays.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, PinchPullPancake said:

Coaching malpractice. He’s a perfect weak side backer. LSU really tried the square peg round hole with him. 

To me he's an OLB in a 3-4 scheme but with most teams playing Nickel as a base especially in the NFL where does he fit? If he played like Dre Greenlaw then there's a spot to stick. He doesn't he replies on athleticism and speed instead of technique. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

147 tackles, 9 sacks, 2 FFs, 2 INTs if you remove the 2 Arkansas games from his numbers. Those are good stats, but not great stats. That Arkansas 2022 game has done a lot of work for this dude. I assume he has 10/19 circled on his calendar this year, so Arkansas better prepare themselves for an asswhipping. 

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

147 tackles, 9 sacks, 2 FFs, 2 INTs if you remove the 2 Arkansas games from his numbers. Those are good stats, but not great stats. That Arkansas 2022 game has done a lot of work for this dude. I assume he has 10/19 circled on his calendar this year, so Arkansas better prepare themselves for an asswhipping. 

The question was if he's a bust. Those aren't the numbers of bust, any way they are attempted to be sliced!

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Alfred Collin’s?

Alfred wasn't a 5-star recruit. He had that ranking by one, I believe, but he was more of a top 60 level prospect nationally. 

Based on the Harold Perkins criteria emerging in this thread ... Johntay Cook and DJ Campbell would be forced into the discussion. If a 5-star guy isn't a dominate player of first rounder, is he a bust? That, to me, is why it's a dangerous path to go down. 

Is he Will Anderson, will he get drafted higher than 3 star Byron Murphy, will he have a better career than DeMarvion Overshown? Idk, he may be the 2nd coming of LT. Let’s not worry about a guy from Northwest Houston (soft) that went to LSU. Enjoy this season. The first of three straight titles in the expanded title era. Long live Sark!

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Alfred wasn't a 5-star recruit. He had that ranking by one, I believe, but he was more of a top 60 level prospect nationally. 

Based on the Harold Perkins criteria emerging in this thread ... Johntay Cook and DJ Campbell would be forced into the discussion. If a 5-star guy isn't a dominate player of first rounder, is he a bust? That, to me, is why it's a dangerous path to go down. 

Dont let UT BOY hear you say such things lol

I agree that using the word "bust" is probably too strong. It seems fair to say Perkins isn't maximizing at interior linebacker and isn't showing the highest aptitude for using his talents within the structure of team defense. Can he reasonably play safety in the NFL? That would require as much discipline as playing linebacker.