RRR Weekend Baseball Notes — Team News, Jonah Williams and More! (Saturday 11:05 AM)

• Moderators

Both practice and recruiting are in full swing for Texas Baseball and it’s going well on both fronts. I spoke with a couple of sources regarding where things stand with the Horns. 

- First, let’s start with recruiting. Yesterday the Longhorns landed the No. 1 pitcher in the nation for 2026, after Trey Rangel (The Colony HS) chose Texas over A&M, Oklahoma State and others. 

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting Rangel to commit to Texas. This staff has hosted a ton of recruits over the last few weeks and he was toward the bottom of my list when it came to guys to keep a close eye on. 

That changed on Wednesday, when sources close to Rangel’s recruitment told me he fell in love with Texas on his visit and would be pulling the trigger quickly.

It’s also worth noting that Rangel visited A&M after Texas, but it didn’t sway him. 

Many of you have asked if he would end up on campus. The answer is yes. I expect him to, this staff expects him to. Yes, he’s the No. 1 pitcher, but Rangel is on the smaller side and that will work against him in the MLB Draft. 

This staff also isn’t going to go all at for a kid that they don’t believe they have a great shot at getting to stay on the Forty Acres. 

(That’s also a reason you aren’t seeing them pursue Javorski Lane Jr. heavily). 

We’ve talked in the past about the role that Schloss had when it came to landing elite safety Jonah Williams. I’m not going to go in depth on that, but what I can tell you is that Texas expects him to begin practicing with them in just a few months.

I’m told the relationship between the football and baseball staffs are excellent and that both are very supportive in making sure Jonah succeeds in both sports.

Sark has basically given the green light for Jonah to be all in on baseball this spring while still working with the football team.

Williams will start out at pitcher for the Longhorns for the short term. He’s also an outstanding outfielder, so there’s a chance he could play there down the road.

Here are some quick hitters on fall practice:

- Arizona State transfer Ethan Mendoza has looked great at 2nd base. That’s his spot to lose. I expect him to start there this year, but Mendoza would like to possibly play shortstop in the future. 

- Third base has yet to be settled. Right now it’s a two man race between sophomore Casey Borba and true freshman Adrian Rodriguez. I think it’s too close to tell right now who will start. 

- Louisiana Monroe transfer Easton Winfield has been described as the “real deal” and Texas loves him. He will be an impact player for the Horns this upcoming season and will start at left field.

- Pitching is hard to report on. A lot of those guys pitched a ton this summer, so they’re trying to rest them right now. A lot of arms aren’t throwing at this time.

- LSU RHP transfer Aiden Moffett’s issues in the past have been control. He has one hell of an arm, but the control was an area of concern. I’m told he’s definitely improving there, however, and that if he continues with the trajectory he’s on, he will be of major help this season.

- Both Ole Miss transfer Grayson Saunier and South Carolina transfer Connor McCreery are expected to contribute this season as well. 

• Hook 'Em 34
  • Thanks 2

On 10/12/2024 at 11:06 AM, Blake Munroe said:

Both practice and recruiting are in full swing for Texas Baseball and it’s going well on both fronts. I spoke with a couple of sources regarding where things stand with the Horns. 

- First, let’s start with recruiting. Yesterday the Longhorns landed the No. 1 pitcher in the nation for 2026, after Trey Rangel (The Colony HS) chose Texas over A&M, Oklahoma State and others. 

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting Rangel to commit to Texas. This staff has hosted a ton of recruits over the last few weeks and he was toward the bottom of my list when it came to guys to keep a close eye on. 

That changed on Wednesday, when sources close to Rangel’s recruitment told me he fell in love with Texas on his visit and would be pulling the trigger quickly.

It’s also worth noting that Rangel visited A&M after Texas, but it didn’t sway him. 

Many of you have asked if he would end up on campus. The answer is yes. I expect him to, this staff expects him to. Yes, he’s the No. 1 pitcher, but Rangel is on the smaller side and that will work against him in the MLB Draft. 

This staff also isn’t going to go all at for a kid that they don’t believe they have a great shot at getting to stay on the Forty Acres. 

(That’s also a reason you aren’t seeing them pursue Javorski Lane Jr. heavily). 

We’ve talked in the past about the role that Schloss had when it came to landing elite safety Jonah Williams. I’m not going to go in depth on that, but what I can tell you is that Texas expects him to begin practicing with them in just a few months.

I’m told the relationship between the football and baseball staffs are excellent and that both are very supportive in making sure Jonah succeeds in both sports.

Sark has basically given the green light for Jonah to be all in on baseball this spring while still working with the football team.

Williams will start out at pitcher for the Longhorns for the short term. He’s also an outstanding outfielder, so there’s a chance he could play there down the road.

Here are some quick hitters on fall practice:

- Arizona State transfer Ethan Mendoza has looked great at 2nd base. That’s his spot to lose. I expect him to start there this year, but Mendoza would like to possibly play shortstop in the future. 

- Third base has yet to be settled. Right now it’s a two man race between sophomore Casey Borba and true freshman Adrian Rodriguez. I think it’s too close to tell right now who will start. 

- Louisiana Monroe transfer Easton Winfield has been described as the “real deal” and Texas loves him. He will be an impact player for the Horns this upcoming season and will start at left field.

- Pitching is hard to report on. A lot of those guys pitched a ton this summer, so they’re trying to rest them right now. A lot of arms aren’t throwing at this time.

- LSU RHP transfer Aiden Moffett’s issues in the past have been control. He has one hell of an arm, but the control was an area of concern. I’m told he’s definitely improving there, however, and that if he continues with the trajectory he’s on, he will be of major help this season.

- Both Ole Miss transfer Grayson Saunier and South Carolina transfer Connor McCreery are expected to contribute this season as well. 

Baseball recruiting is on another level right now. Pitching staff will be improved from last year though maybe not where we’d like it to be still. I also think Jonah is going to stick at pitcher 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Thailand T Sip said:

Thanks! You have an early opinion as to how you feel this team will rank in the SEC.

Going to be tough sledding, that I know for sure. LSU, A&M, Florida, Tenn, Arkansas could all very well be top 10 in the spring. Not to mention Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy, Miss St and South Carolina being Top 25. 

That is insane. 

I’d say Texas will be top 4-7. That sounds bad but given how deep the conference is, it’s really not. 

• Hook 'Em 4