If Texas Plays Georgia Again...

• Moderators

Expect to see much more 12 personnel.

The multiple tight end look was tremendous for the Longhorns on Saturday night against the Georgia defense, one of the few bright spots on offense from the entire evening.

I charted the snaps Texas had on Saturday with both Gunnar Helm and Juan Davis on the field and it looked rather encouraging.

A few key takeaways:

First let's get these numbers squared away. I counted 24 snaps with the Longhorns in 12P, those plays went for 145 yards, and when you add in penalties drawn on those plays, 168 net yards. The Longhorns in total had 80 total snaps on offense against UGA.

Texas was in 12P for 30.0% of their snaps in the ballgame, and the formation accounted for 55.98% of their total yards on the night. Not too bad.

– Texas averaged 6.04 yards per play from 12P.

– Adding in penalties from 12P, Texas averaged a flat 7.00 yards per play gained out of the formation.

Ryan Wingo deep shot DPI and a Tre Wisner facemask penalty in the red zone helped the cause.

– Texas did not have a single negative play in 12P. No sacks allowed. No rushing losses, (there was a -1 yard rush from Wisner but a facemask negated the play).

– The Longhorns had eight explosive plays in the game – pass plays over 15+ yards and run plays over 10+ yards. Four came in 12P.

• Ewers to Matthew Golden for 24 yards on a dig route in 3Q.
  • Ewers to Matthew Golden for 34 yards on a go-route in 3Q.
  • Tre Wisner rush for 10 yards.
  • Ewers to Gunnar Helm for 23 on an out route in 4Q.

The other four explosive plays that qualified were a 21-yard scramble from Arch Manning, a 19-yard catch from Golden, a prayer from Ewers to Helm on the sideline for 18 yards and the 17-yard TD to Jaydon Blue in 11P.

Sarkisian's bread and butter is 11 personnel. It has been the case for his entire tenure in Austin and even prior to arriving. However, for whatever reason, there has been a consistency in 12 personnel, especially when starting each half.

The Longhorns show a proclivity to utilize 12 personnel at the beginning of games and on their first possession of the second half. It's been a recurring trend for Sarkisian, but it gets the job done.

A look at the play-by-play yardages gained on each 12 personnel play and when they occurred in the game.

• Drive 1:
  • 9 yards
  • 3 yards
  • 5 yards
  • 8 yards
  • 3 yards
  • Drive 3:
  • inc. (15-yard DPI penalty)
  • 4 yards
  • 0 yards
  • Drive 4:
  • 5 yards
  • 0 yards (incomplete)
  • Drive 9: (out of halftime)
  • 6 yards
  • 24 yards
  • -1 yards (facemask penalty, +8 yards)
  • 1 yard
  • 0 yard (incomplete)
  • Drive 10:
  • 34 yards
  • 4 yards
  • 10 yards
  • Drive 13:
  • 0 yards (dropped)
  • 23 yards
  • 0 yards
  • 4 yards
  • 0 yards
  • 4 yards

This obviously does not guarantee a thing in the win-loss column, but there was more success in this look than any other agains the Bulldogs Saturday night. 

Hopefully, Texas gets the chance to play Georgia again to exercise some of those demons offensively. If they do, I would look for Juan Davis and Gunnar Helm to be on the field a good bit more than what we saw this past weekend.

• Hook 'Em 14

• Moderators

You see where Texas went away from its script – from drives 5-9 basically as Georgia pulled ahead and the Longhorns' offense sputtered play after play. 

I can't blame Sarkisian at all for the way the 12P looks went. It's a tough spot when absolutely nothing was working. But this in my eyes is a bit encouraging long term.

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, jlcollins519 said:

great info CJ.

Appreciate it!

Again, it's not a lot. But it could be something Texas shows more of if they face Georgia again. A small bit of life in an otherwise abysmal offensive showing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Really depends on which quarterback would be playing then tbh. Right now I don't think any of us know for sure on that, as crazy as that seems. Not hating, but that leash gets shorter by the day seemingly. I don't care, just want whoever gives us the best chance period. Great read though for sure👍

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Certainly. Everyone has to be better. That's no secret.

Understandable. But the more I think about it, the more I get the feeling that Sark is the one who didn’t have his team ready, who didn’t show up, who didn’t alter his game plan, and who made questionable decisions. 

I love Sark, but he stubbed his toe Saturday. 

Thanks CJ, after rewatching the game a couple of times Texas really did have more opportunities to move the ball and score than it felt like in game. The d line shifts and blitzes were killing us but now that we’ve seen it may not be as much of a factor in the next game especially with our o line size and experience. A more confident offense that’s been executing at a high level like we were with Quinn pre-injury will make a huge difference in the game. One thing I’ve noted is how great Georgia’s tackling was in 1:1 open field situations. We’re not to that level and that’s one thing that would really like to see our defense improve on. Hopefully our execution and confidence rebounds and starts to build like it did last year leading into the big 12 championship. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You pointed out one yourself. This whole article was talking about it. (More 12 personnel) Run plays that will slow down the pass rush. Screens, draws, quick throws to get Quinn in a better rhythm. All I know is great coaches adjust. Sark couldn’t find an answer. That’s his job not mine. 

Edited by rgvhorn80
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

The only thing I can think of is what Bobby and Gerry talked about this morning on C&F which was throwing to the motion. But Georgia probably would’ve zeroed in on it quickly 

Then that's on Ewers. Texas ran motion 67% of their snaps offensively, on par with what we have seen from Ewers' three other starts this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Then that's on Ewers. Texas ran motion 67% of their snaps offensively, on par with what we have seen from Ewers' three other starts this season.

@CJ Vogel what do u think happened that sark wasn’t able to develop a perfect rated qb into a nfl qb? Was it injuries? Or is sark not who think he is? Or was Quinn just that poorly rated? Or is Quinn a nfl guy?

Edited by Daniel Lovell
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Daniel Lovell said:

@CJ Vogel what do u think happened that sark wasn’t able to develop a perfect rated qb into a nfl qb? Was it injuries? Or is sark not who think he is? Or was Quinn just that poorly rated? Or is Quinn a nfl guy?

Georgia has a damn good defense. 

Quinn Ewers is still a very good quarterback. The overreaction to the UGA game is insane.

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Georgia has a damn good defense. 

Quinn Ewers is still a very good quarterback. The overreaction to the UGA game is insane.

Thank u Cj cause these comments trying to make it seem like quin isn’t gonna make a nfl team next year or when ever he does go 

Edited by Daniel Lovell
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 4thandFive said:

Understandable. But the more I think about it, the more I get the feeling that Sark is the one who didn’t have his team ready, who didn’t show up, who didn’t alter his game plan, and who made questionable decisions. 

I love Sark, but he stubbed his toe Saturday. 

Hmm. Marginally agree. Sark definitely wasn't perfect.

But his players let him down some IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

We’re all disappointed. I was hoping this would be the moment Texas would cement themselves as the new powerhouse program or as the favorite to win it all. They had Georgia at home and they didn’t come through. Hopefully that moment still comes this year. Bad Sark and bad Ewers showed up unfortunately on national tv.

2 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Out of curiosity, what adjustments were there for Texas to make offensively that Sarkisian did not make?

There isn’t much adjustment because the only adjustment that could be made is hitting deep plays.