Steve Sarkisian's NSD Press Conference Takeaways

• Moderators

Steve Sarkisian graciously spoke for 50 minutes this morning, covering topics from the 2024 class, transfer portal additions, coaching changes, recruiting department promotions and the mindset heading into the spring. I wanted to share some quick thoughts on the press conference as well as the key points that will carry us into the remainder of winter conditioning.

1. Brandon Harris' Promotion to GM

Sarkisian spoke very highly of new General Manager Brandon Harris. Off the bat, you can tell there is a lot of trust between Sarkisian and Harris. Several times during the presser, Sarkisian mentioned being able to rely on Harris to sit in meetings or accomplish an important role without him being present.

“His ability to communicate, I thought was incredible," Sarkisian said. "It was a guy that we’ve just grown our relationship over three years. So I felt like the time was right for him to assume this role.”

2.    Staff Additions

Interestingly, Sarkisian said that every coach on the Texas staff was offered a new job this offseason from a program looking to poach. Of course, Jeff Choate went west to Nevada and Bo Davis ended up back home at LSU, however Sarkisian was thrilled to return all three coordinators on his staff and spoke positively about the new additions, Kenny Baker and Johnny Nansen. Sarkisian mentioned the national perception of Texas football has changed since he arrived. In his opinion, national players are now more willing to give Texas a chance. He believes staff continuity has played a role. Adding Nansen and Baker will allow Texas to dive even deeper into the west coast and deep south, respectively. As Texas heads into the SEC, Sarkisian mentioned how important it would be for his staff to have in-roads to the backyard of where they will be playing a majority of their games.

3.    Wide Receiver Additions

It was clear that Sarkisian was thrilled with the pieces Texas added out of the portal. Oregon State WR Silas Bolden will join the program in the summer, but the two mid-year transfer wide receivers are already making solid strides. Sarkisian mentioned it would have been "malpractice" to not utilize the portal, to have entered a season with only three returning scholarship receivers – of which they group has only eight career receptions. “That room is going to be solid," he said. "We have just got to find that right group of guys once September rolls around.”

4.    Desire to Get Back to CFP

My biggest takeaway was the desire in which Sarkisian spoke about returning to contending for a National Title. Texas got a small taste with the semi-final game against Washington, however, the way in which Sarkisian spoke about getting back to that level and eventually winning a National Title left a strong impression on me. He is driven and wanting to do whatever it takes to bring a title back to Austin.

“I didn’t come here to just be a head coach again," he said. "I didn’t come here to say I am the head coach at UT. I came here to win a championship. I am borderline obsessed with it.”

5.    Important Dates

Sarkisian did mentioned more changes to the recruiting department were in store but did not provide finite details on when that might occur and what it might exactly look like. One thing he did give us a schedule for was spring football. Texas will undergo four more weeks of winter conditioning starting on Monday – so 4.5 weeks left for those pulling out the calculator. March 19 will mark the first day of spring practice. For NFL Draft hopefuls, the Texas Pro Day will take place March 20 in Austin. The Texas coaching staff will also host the coaching clinic on March 22, the weekend we are also expecting a pretty busy recruiting weekend.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 12

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

2.    Staff Additions

Interestingly, Sarkisian said that every coach on the Texas staff was offered a new job this offseason from a program looking to poach. Of course, Jeff Choate went west to Nevada and Bo Davis ended up back home at LSU, however Sarkisian was thrilled to return all three coordinators on his staff and spoke positively about the new additions, Kenny Baker and Johnny Nansen. Sarkisian mentioned the national perception of Texas football has changed since he arrived. In his opinion, national players are now more willing to give Texas a chance. He believes staff continuity has played a role. Adding Nansen and Baker will allow Texas to dive even deeper into the west coast and deep south, respectively. As Texas heads into the SEC, Sarkisian mentioned how important it would be for his staff to have in-roads to the backyard of where they will be playing a majority of their games.

This is very key, and what we have chatted about a few times ... Johnny Nansen furthers the West Coast connections and recruiting presence. Baker continues the SE Region ties Bo Davis has, but my help getting into the Peach State over time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

I loved hearing him say he’s obsessed with winning a title. That’s the kinda coach you want. Wonder if he will identify what he can do better to go from 12 wins to 15 or more with the added playoff games

Exactly what I wanted to hear too! Loved it from Sark today.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, 4thandFive said:

Have we heard any rumors whether Sark was elevating Harris to GM regardless of Glasscock’s commitment and perhaps Sark “let” him to Ole Miss? 

I think this was more about Glasscock becoming more of a true GM for Ole Miss as opposed to a Recruiting GM like Texas is deploying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

On The Playoff Loss:

"Everyone wants to win their last game.  We had an opportunity - did not play our best game That Night.

But, It was Almost Good Enough, but it wasn't good enough.

So I think everybody took their 24-48 hours to feel a little sorry for themselves - and myself included - and Then You Get Back To It.

The Competitor in you gets you up off the mat..."

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Sonny_V said:

On The Playoff Loss:

"Everyone wants to win their last game.  We had an opportunity - did not play our best game That Night.

But, It was Almost Good Enough, but it wasn't good enough.

So I think everybody took their 24-48 hours to feel a little sorry for themselves - and myself included - and Then You Get Back To It.

The Competitor in you gets you up off the mat..."

Sark's mindset will keep the task of winning a championship at the forefront of the Texas program. I love it.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's been fun to see Sark's confidence grow over the last year. Getting the UW and USC jobs at such a young age is proof of how highly though of he's been in coaching circles for a long time. And it finally all started coming together in 2023. 

My favorite tidbit in this Ryan Clark podcast interview that seemed to be overlooked but might be the most crucial belief in today's landscape, sports or otherwise: 

"Adapt or die."  (I've timestamped that part below)

The worst trait of football coaches IMO is stubbornness.  Sark in his personal life literally had to adapt or die. And he's brought that attitude into football. If he can stay one step ahead of the rest of college football, we are in great shape.