Emptying the Notebook

News and notes on various aspects of the team and its players. It's what we call emptying the notebook.

Jaray Bledsoe - "Looks great."

Alex January - "He's going to play this year."

Sydir Mitchell - "Improving. Body looks a little better."

The two freshman offensive linemen were singled out.

Brandon Baker is said to be an outstanding athlete and his off-field, weight-room demeanor has been similar to that of Kelvin Banks when Banks first arrived.

After the glowing about Baker finished, the source was quick to mention the professional demeanor of Daniel Cruz as well.

"Those two are keepers," the source said.

The source felt J'Mond Tapp "was coming on", specifically becoming a smarter player. He's always had the physical tools, but just needed to add good weight and play within the framework of the defense. He could be an X factor for the Texas D this year.

Anthony Hill Jr. - "He's locked in. He looks great."

Isaiah Bond - "Has some diva to him like a lot of wideouts. But he's not that way when he gets on the football field. Intentional worker."

Billy Walton - "Looks great. Really great athlete."

Tausili Akana - "A little small. Needs to add good weight. Working at SAM and edge."

Jake Majors - "Really had a good year last year. Did not go to the ground nearly as much. Have to give him credit, he's really made something of himself. You can count on him."

Tiaoalii Savea - "Better version of Trill Carter."

Team thoughts:

- Still concerned about stopping the run.

- Speed on offense is different this year.

- Need one or two interior DLs in the portal.

I'll share more as I get more...

View full news

• Hook 'Em 23

Akana working at SAM makes a lot of sense to me with how loaded EDGE is overall. With bringing both starters back plus Finkley and Tapp, and adding Simmons, Umeozulu and Moore. Plus Vasek if he can heal up will really fill up that room

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, hookemrj13 said:

Any BAD reports would be appreciated too. Its not always Kool-Aid season

Sounds like the DT room isnt great and the coaches are concerned about having the personnel to stop the run next year 

Additionally, a few players are teetering between making it and not

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GJH said:

Alex January will play this year might be the best news in there, thought he was a longer runway kind of player!

Or could be really bad news if the talent isn't in the room.  Which is probably the case after watching him against DeSoto.  He needs a few years to get ready. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We may have just been spoiled by the 2 monsters that are leaving us. I know we won’t be as dominant against the run, but I think we can play well enough to win a lot of games. I really hope we get reports on Sydir in the Spring of him flipping that switch and being an animal 

• Hook 'Em 2

Wish it was so easy to pick up 2 DL this late. Only real hope there is a Michigan guy or 2 jumps in. And then a bidding war. Usually don't get great ones this late at that position. 

Just hope Baker can develop what we have and go from there.Losing those 2 great ones and J. Ford was always gonna be tough to replace to that level. We seem better on the edges and back end though.  Great notes thanks!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Strangemood said:

Fans have always been paranoid over the depth at DT.  This year, UT's the depth at QB is more concerning, IMO.  Who is the fourth team QB?  We've  had to go there before.  A&M had to last year.  Didn't Florida State?  Part of the game. 

If you're playing your fourth-team QB, things are already really bad. You can't stack QBs like that. You should feel extremely fortunate that our 1-2 is what it is. Very, very, spoiled beyond comprehension fortunate. 

The answer is probably Cole Lourde, btw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Given Friday's news concerning the Tennessee case, I have very few concerns about landing a NT in the portal.

My only concern is can they get up to speed in PK's defense in 4 months and can they catch TD passes from the FB position on offense.

Edited by horns96
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If you're playing your fourth-team QB, things are already really bad. You can't stack QBs like that. You should feel extremely fortunate that our 1-2 is what it is. Very, very, spoiled beyond comprehension fortunate. 

The answer is probably Cole Lourde, btw. 

Better depth at DT.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Strangemood said:

Better depth at DT.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but teams normally have 3-4 scholarship QBs. And a lot more DTs than that, because of obvious reasons. Well, it should be obvious anyway.

Arch Manning is our backup QB and you are bitching about depth at QB. 

5 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

News and notes on various aspects of the team and its players. It's what we call emptying the notebook.

Jaray Bledsoe - "Looks great."

Alex January - "He's going to play this year."

Sydir Mitchell - "Improving. Body looks a little better."

The two freshman offensive linemen were singled out.

Brandon Baker is said to be an outstanding athlete and his off-field, weight-room demeanor has been similar to that of Kelvin Banks when Banks first arrived.

After the glowing about Baker finished, the source was quick to mention the professional demeanor of Daniel Cruz as well.

"Those two are keepers," the source said.

The source felt J'Mond Tapp "was coming on", specifically becoming a smarter player. He's always had the physical tools, but just needed to add good weight and play within the framework of the defense. He could be an X factor for the Texas D this year.

Anthony Hill Jr. - "He's locked in. He looks great."

Isaiah Bond - "Has some diva to him like a lot of wideouts. But he's not that way when he gets on the football field. Intentional worker."

Billy Walton - "Looks great. Really great athlete."

Tausili Akana - "A little small. Needs to add good weight. Working at SAM and edge."

Jake Majors - "Really had a good year last year. Did not go to the ground nearly as much. Have to give him credit, he's really made something of himself. You can count on him."

Tiaoalii Savea - "Better version of Trill Carter."

Team thoughts:

- Still concerned about stopping the run.

- Speed on offense is different this year.

- Need one or two interior DLs in the portal.

I'll share more as I get more...

View full news

Was hoping to hear more hype about sydir Mitchell taking a bigger leap. Still time for him to improve. We need him to make that jump

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
14 hours ago, GJH said:

Alex January will play this year might be the best news in there, thought he was a longer runway kind of player!

Two DFW area coaches that I spoke with yesterday on the road mentioned Alex January as a player that was as good as they faced last season (2023). One head coach predicted an NFL future for Alex. 

• Hook 'Em 5