Texas in the Portal

• Moderators

The addition of Tiaoalii Savea out of the NCAA Transfer Portal marks the eighth portal prospect to declare their intentions to play for the Texas Longhorns for the 2024 season.

Screenshot2024-01-23at9_47_15AM.png.307cd9c75b02720514f84bdf711c6b41.png

Three wide receivers combine for 220+ career receptions. Add in Amari Niblack and the Longhorns may not skip a beat after sending four pass catchers to the NFL from a year ago.

Andrew Mukuba brings over 30 career starts and Freshman All American accolades.

Off the edge, Trey Moore's 22.0 sacks over the last two seasons puts him in an elite category among pass rushers around the country.

Now Texas is adding depth at positions of need with the addition of Kendrick Blackshire out of Alabama and the most recent news of Tiaoalii Savea from Arizona. Both will be a part of the rotation and allow for a sigh of relief for each position group heading into the spring.

Really impressive work thus far, and the expectation is that the Longhorns add to this list before fall camp begins.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jerry K said:

The portal is awesome. I wasn't feeling too good about next season a month ago. Now it's looking solid. 

Texas has definitely been a benefactor of the portal, no doubt.

• Hook 'Em 3

One obvious way to stop our rotating DL & DB is the hurry-up offense.  I haven't really watched a lot of SEC football.  How does the SEC compare to the Big XII in number of teams that use the hurry-up and whether it is used all game or just on certain occassions?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Beveaux said:

One obvious way to stop our rotating DL & DB is the hurry-up offense.  I haven't really watched a lot of SEC football.  How does the SEC compare to the Big XII in number of teams that use the hurry-up and whether it is used all game or just on certain occassions?

Great question, I actually was hoping to dive deep into this whenever there was nothing really going on in the news, but I will drop this here.

When factoring out Texas and Oklahoma from either conference's count, the average ranking of each conference's team in seconds between snaps is as follows:

• SEC: 72.78
  • Big 12: 57.33

There are some true anomalies in each conference, but generally, the Big 12 offenses are faster and get more snaps off per game.

• Hook 'Em 5

Our defense is going to be better next year despite our losses because I feel like the SEC is an easier conference to prepare for defensively than what we've been having to do in the B12. The talent might be significantly better in the SEC but the schemes and offenses should be easier for PK and Nansen to break down and prepare for.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

Great question, I actually was hoping to dive deep into this whenever there was nothing really going on in the news, but I will drop this here.

When factoring out Texas and Oklahoma from either conference's count, the average ranking of each conference's team in seconds between snaps is as follows:

• SEC: 72.78
  • Big 12: 57.33

There are some true anomalies in each conference, but generally, the Big 12 offenses are faster and get more snaps off per game.

At first glance I thought those numbers were the seconds between snaps, but obviously not considering it's longer than the play clock, ha!

Guessing it's (ranking with Texas and OU).(ranking without Texas & OU)... So 72nd with Texas/OU and 78th without?

Just making sure I'm reading it correctly!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Scott Luedecke said:

At first glance I thought those numbers were the seconds between snaps, but obviously not considering it's longer than the play clock, ha!

Guessing it's (ranking with Texas and OU).(ranking without Texas & OU)... So 72nd with Texas/OU and 78th without?

Just making sure I'm reading it correctly!

Texas and OU were not factored into either conference's ranking. Big 12 average time between snaps was faster than the average SEC teams'.  The number is where the average Big 12 team would have ranked in the country for time between snap, so 57th in the country and 73rd for the average of SEC teams.

• Hook 'Em 1