College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, harveycmd said:

Big mistake firing Beard.

You are consistent!

Year two will be a big one for Terry and staff. They are in the NCAA Tournament this year ... and the vast majority of the RT bad hire group didn't think that would happen. So he's working +1 against the awful hire group. 

Year two will be a big one for them. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, harveycmd said:

Del Conte went politically correct and screwed the pooch. Terry won't get it done.

He’s doing a solid job so far in a conference that’s second to none this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

What is "getting it done" in your eyes? Just wondering. Good conversation 

In my eyes it is consistently finishing in the upper half of the conference, making the tournament, and occasionally making it to the second weekend, with - and this is the important part - a roster that he 100% constructed.

But, I should add, this is not bar the CDC has said he uses.   He's said numerous times that he wants a top 10 program.   A top 10 program does more than that.

Edited by ClubWhatever

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, harveycmd said:

My main gripe is that we have no real offensive system. I know college basketball has been guard dribble dominated for years, but I don't even know what that is supposed to look like from game to game. 

Texas is a top 20 offense in college basketball playing in the toughest conference. They are top 50 in the country in 3 point %, Free throw percentage and effective FG % ... they are going to run everything through Max Abmas and Dylan Disu on this team, as they should. A whole lot of two man game with others playing off that. Running a bunch of off ball offensive sets on this team would be a disaster IMO. The ball has to be in their hands, and offense run through them on this particular team ...

Texas is 4th in the Big 12 scoring in Big 12 games, 2nd in field goal %, 4th in 3-point %, 2nd in FT shooting %, 4th in assists per game, 3rd in turnover margin 

The Horns are a very good offensive team. Really the only reason they have a shot to win a couple of games in the NCAA Tourney if they can get off that 8/9 seed line

• Hook 'Em 6

Can someone explain what they do on offense? I can't discern what they actually do on offense. They shoot the three decently sometimes. When they play a team that can pressure the ball and rotate, they have real problems. Maybe that's not horrible, but it's not enough to consistently win against good competition because they don't have system they can rely on.

Edited by harveycmd

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

In my eyes it is consistently finishing in the upper half of the conference, making the tournament, and occasionally making it to the second weekend, with - and this is the important part - a roster that he 100% constructed.

But, I should add, this is not bar the CDC has said he uses.   He's said numerous times that he wants a top 10 program.   A top 10 program does more than that.

I think Texas HC in your eyes is likely where most come out ... and that is the most likely scenario.

Agree on what CDC says to all his coaches. My only issue with what CDC says to his mens basketball coach in that regard, the university doesn't really act like they want to be that - which would be a blue blood level basketball program IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, harveycmd said:

Can someone explain what they do on offense? I can't discern what they actually do on offense. They shoot the three decently sometimes. When they play a team that can pressure the ball and rotate, they have real problems. Maybe that's not horrible, but it's not enough to consistently win against good competition because they don't have system they can rely on.

I think what you want .. is an offensive system with a bunch of half court offensive sets that you can define ... problem with that is you would suck on offense doing that if the ball is out of the hands of Abmas and Disu. You have to run the offense through those two guys. That means a lot of ball screen action, a lot of two man game out of the ball screen game from the wings - but closer to/off the elbows ... but you want to be more center of the floor to keep opponents from the hard hedge/trap along the wing pushing to corner of the court. 

If you ran a bunch of off the ball action for Chendall Weaver and Tyrese Hunter and Dillon Mitchell... Texas would be very bad on offense. 

Texas runs about every type of ball screen action you want playing off the elbows. They run that to get into a two man game on the weak side at times, to get into a inside out game, and get into a floor spread drive and kick game ...Texas actually does a very good job on offense making a defense work ... without the ideal parts to maximize. 

What Texas does on offense is actually the best thing with this team ... its atrractive in recruiting for guards. It's freedom in an NBA style. Up to RT and staff to construct a roster to maximize it. 

Texas has run some action for Abmas off the ball ... you can see some of that against UConn early in the season when they didn't have the Abmas/Disu two man game for everyone to play off of. More of the Abmas action off bal in second half ... if you watch closely, Texas does a good job of moving without the ball, attacking/getting into some favorable switches and got a lot of clean looks - shots just didn't go down early in the game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Guys, can we get back to the actual thread topic? I have no problem with somebody running a fool’s errand, dwelling in the past, and wanting to relitigate something that happened 15 months ago, but I’d prefer that it be done in a more suitable venue. I expect this to be a durable thread that Gerry updates assiduously as the portal heats up. As such, the sooner this particular line of conversation is quelled, the better. I want to read about the stated topic of this thread—the basketball transfer portal. Not why the guy who considers himself one of the very few fans Kobe Bryant had before he died (four years after his 20-year career ended, mind you)—a sentiment he felt compelled to share in the “what should we ask Ricky Williams during his interview?” thread—can’t move on or stay on topic. 

The only relevant post came from @Assistant Regional Manager four hours ago. Now we have Kobe’s biggest fan explaining that he doesn’t know what guard-dominated iso looks like, but it seems like it sucks.

Back on topic, Gerry, I think you’ve discussed previously, but what’s your feel on possible portal attrition from the current squad?

I guess you could describe it as a guard based screen offense that basically concentrates on what guards love, the so-called "dribble drive" offense. Do I think you need half court offensive sets that rely on passing and movement? Yes. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so. It's pure physics that the ball can be moved quicker by passing than it can by dribbling. Doesn't matter to me that most teams stick to the same thing that sucks. The Longhorns don't have the guards to excel with dribble drive gooberism. It's hard for me to believe there are no longer front court players who can hit a five to ten foot shot.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Guys, can we get back to the actual thread topic? I have no problem with somebody running a fool’s errand, dwelling in the past, and wanting to relitigate something that happened 15 months ago, but I’d prefer that it be done in a more suitable venue. I expect this to be a durable thread that Gerry updates assiduously as the portal heats up. As such, the sooner this particular line of conversation is quelled, the better. I want to read about the stated topic of this thread—the basketball transfer portal. Not why the guy who considers himself one of the very few fans Kobe Bryant had before he died (four years after his 20-year career ended, mind you)—a sentiment he felt compelled to share in the “what should we ask Ricky Williams during his interview?” thread—can’t move on or stay on topic. 

The only relevant post came from @Assistant Regional Manager four hours ago. Now we have Kobe’s biggest fan explaining that he doesn’t know what guard-dominated iso looks like, but it seems like it sucks.

Back on topic, Gerry, I think you’ve discussed previously, but what’s your feel on possible portal attrition from the current squad?

Not sure yet on portal attrition ... but Texas is going for two bigs and a PG ... what will that do to current guys on the roster that could return? We shall see. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, harveycmd said:

My main gripe is that we have no real offensive system. I know college basketball has been guard dribble dominated for years, but I don't even know what that is supposed to look like from game to game. 

This is where I feel folks are complaining just to complain. The team has looked much better on offense under RT than they ever did under Beard, Smart or Barnes sans the DJ Augustin years. Last year's team got better offensively as the year went on.

Where RT's teams have fallen off a little bit is on the defensive end. Barnes & Beard were compulsive about defense and rebounding to a degree that I don't know that RT is. Guys seem to play more free and less robotic under RT and look over their shoulders less but the defensive intensity isn't as consistent. You get some glimpses like the 1st half of the KSU game or the OU games or even the Tech game at Lubbock but the consistency is lacking imo.

• Hook 'Em 2

Now back to the topic at the point guard position I am really hoping a Jordan Pope of Oregon St or even an Ajay Mitchell of UC-Santa Barbara (although he's showing up in the 2nd rounds of mock drafts).

When you consider the players and experience we lost and the conference we play in, this was a good year.  If we make the Sweet 16 I would say it met all optimistic expectations.  If we win a tournament game it should have met reasonable expectations.  It was frustrating at times, but the calls for RT to be replaced are crazy to me. 

I agree with Gerry that Year 2 will be big in his tenure but he took us to the Elite 8 last year and we won 20 games this year.  People can say that was Beard's team all they want, but the truth is that RT coached them through the heart of the schedule, won the Big 12 tournament and won three games in the tournament.  It is insane that he doesn't get credit from some people for the job he did.

• Hook 'Em 3

Texas HAS to get Scott and Johnson to campus. That’s step 1.

Texas has to strike gold in the portal. I don’t know who would comeback at this point.

Abmas, Disu, Cunningham, Horton and Hunter are gone. I am fairly certain Mitchell will follow.

Does Chris Johnson stay?

The only two I feel comfortable staying is Weaver and Shedrick.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

Texas HAS to get Scott and Johnson to campus. That’s step 1.

Texas has to strike gold in the portal. I don’t know who would comeback at this point.

Abmas, Disu, Cunningham, Horton and Hunter are gone. I am fairly certain Mitchell will follow.

Does Chris Johnson stay?

The only two I feel comfortable staying is Weaver and Shedrick.

Hunter and Mitchell still could return if they wanted.

Johnson is interesting because I think there's a really good college player in there somewhere. Put another way, if Chris Johnson was at UH I'd be relatively sure that in 2-3 years he'd be an all-conference/All-American type player similar to how Shead is now. I just wonder if he'd be willing to completely buy in and run his own race.

• Hook 'Em 1